Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 vs 997.2...or GTS complaints

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 04:37 PM
jmt053
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems there was a campaign to replace those clutch switches. I called the dealer that the previous owner has used for service and he let me know it was changed under warranty as there were some that caused the car not to start even when the clutch pedal was depressed.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:38 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wheeler
That's an interesting take. There is a switch on the .2 car as well, as it knows if you don't have it pushed in when trying to start the car. Perhaps part of the hill holding clutch mechanics? I have noticed a few times I've had the clutch pushed in and it won't start and I have to pump the clutch once again to trigger it. I do think "normal" driving mode (for those with the sport button) is dumbed down quite a bit for people that are either new to a manual or haven't driven one in a while. As sport mode is extremely touchy and it's easy to "buck" the car if you give it TOO much gas in sport mode when leaving a light. To me "normal" mode is probably dumbed down TOO much. The throttle response is hilarious. Just go out to your .2 car, let it idle and tap the throttle quickly. Tap...rev....tap....rev. For a car that has INSTANT throttle response once you're moving, the delay from a dead stop is comical. To me this is what screws up the take off from the light more than anything. We all know how to drive a manual, it's a feel and muscle memory thing. This throttle response is so off, that it screws up your natural throttle blip and clutch release that I use on every car, truck or bike I drive. So yes, that extra throttle blip before you leave a light helps, but if you're not paying attention and try to quickly put it in gear and take off with traffic, it will try to stall every time. I've learned that even if I'm getting honked at for not paying attention to the light, I HAVE to take my time leaving...that or romp on it! :-))

I responded the OP's thread on 6speed. The problem is real, it has nothing to do with "working your clutch technique" or getting a lemon. I can hop in my buddys 996 GT3, 07 Cayman, 11 boxter spyder and pull away like I'm driving honda civic. My 09 S has a very flat bog and delay in normal mode right off the bottom. I also have the hesitation/miss from time to time at 2800 rpm. For PCNA to say that's "normal" or "some cars just do that" is BS. In normal mode unless you're really trying make a smooth shift from 1st to 2nd or running it up to 5k rpm to put your shift point above the 2800 rpm range, then it almost always results in a rough shift. Not so much in Sport mode, but that typically shoots you a little higher in the rpm range to get past that 2800 range.

Is any of this a HUGE deal no. Is it annoying...YES. The 997.1 cars do not drive like this in any way shape or form. Leads me to believe it's a DFI thing. It would be nice if they could figure it out with a simple remap, varicam timing, something, but it appears if it doesn't throw a code, they're not going to address it.
I've found that the sport mode makes it different as compared to normal mode during start-up, and because the response of the gas pedal has changed, it is like shifting a different car. I really don't like the sport mode and rarely use it.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:24 AM
mdk100
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So two possible culprits to look into, fuel pumps or clutch switch. The third might be the throttle mapping on Normal. I actually never use Normal unless I forget to switch on Sport. I do agree Sport is a bit TOO twitchy, but I find Normal to be way too bogged down. Once out of warranty, I might try one of the DME software remapping programs to wipe Normal out of the system. It wouldn't be so bad if you could retain settings past different starts or could reset the defaults to be "on", but apparently that's not possible on the 997.

I'm also going to take another crack at cleaning the throttle body and MAF. I noticed that had a big impact on my 997.1 in the lower rpm ranges. This seems similar.

Appreciate the discussion. Good to hear I'm not the only one that notices it. I've had a half dozen Porsches and many more sports cars, so I'm not convinced it's just a clutching style. I can work a formula car around the track with heel-toe shifting, so I'm pretty competent with a MT. It does seem to be something unique I've encountered on the 997.2.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:46 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I have zero complaints about my 997.

Sport mode can be a bit twitchy, super sensitive pedal there, but I actually like that, nice quick blips. It can catch you by surprise though at a stopllight when you're casually accelerating, if you're not careful it will rev a bit higher than you probably meant to do, no big deal. The car has character for days. I took it out for a drive in the rain tonight just to hear that flat-six. My 14 minute commute to work this morning wasn't enough.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:16 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've done quite a bit of reading up on the ORANGE clutch switch. Seems it does quite a bit more than just turning off cruise control. But it also appears the mods/hacks of taping the button down will throw a code in the 09 and newer cars. I understand why they would retard timing for load, starting from a dead stop, etc. it would just be nice in Normal mode if the throttle response was quicker (keeping all the other helpers). To me that delay causes more problems than the lack of power/bog/retarded timing. This could also be connected to the rough shifts between 1st and 2nd as from what I've read EVERY time you dip the clutch there is some nanny helping smooth out the power between shifts.

I'm with Para82, I think once the CPO is up, trying a tune might help. Then again, it might just put it in Sport mode all the time...sport mode may just be it. Side note Para...I had my car out the other day, my buddy had his 6GT3 and we took a long spirited drive as the streets had dried up. Took the car back out solo that night to go get some food and ended up driving around town for an hour like a teenager on a Friday night. Once all the fluids in that car are warmed up, tires are warm, suspension warm, man it's hard to put it away! Not to mention that PSE and x pipe just howl!!!

Quick Reply: 997.1 vs 997.2...or GTS complaints