Sponsored by:

PDK (cost + future proof?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 10:44 PM
porterror
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDK (cost + future proof?)

I'm a big manual fan, but have been tempted recently to join the PDK club. My last hesitation revolves around cost of PDK fix/replacement. Is the transmission a ticking time/$ bomb? I feel good knowing if my clutch needs replacement it isn't a huge cost to repair.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:03 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

The vast majority of reports I've seen on the threads say they are quite robust. I have one and it works well for me. It is intended to last the life of the car. Of course you will see the rare report of a failure here, but who reports a non-failure?... so those stats are always skewed.

A while back a tester took a Turbo (S?) and did over 50 back-to-back launches without any problems, and launches are hard on a car. Check around on YouTube or Jalopnik. He even got sick after a while from all of the repeated G's. While the Turbo has an even more robust version, it seems like a great testament to the PDKs in general.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:43 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

I've commented on this once or twice. I had a time understanding it. Took some getting used to. Now I use all methods of shifting and non shifting and it performs flawlessly. Auto only, Auto in Sport, manual shift....they all have their benefits and usefullness. I must warn you that it has little quirks. I suggest warming the car as much as you have time for before driving off. I love all three methods of driving it. I've yet to use Sport Plus so can't comment on that. Reving to 5K rpms between shifts should be used on a track, IMO. No maintenance issues and plan to change pdk clutch oil at 60K per required service.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:28 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:00 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:39 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

AFAIC maintenance is key. Change gear oil and PDK clutch oil every 5 years or 60k miles, whichever is less.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:58 PM
porterror
Racer

would any warranty cover the PDK cost? I'd be looking used/CPO.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:09 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Dartmouth
I've commented on this once or twice. I had a time understanding it. Took some getting used to. Now I use all methods of shifting and non shifting and it performs flawlessly. Auto only, Auto in Sport, manual shift....they all have their benefits and usefullness. I must warn you that it has little quirks. I suggest warming the car as much as you have time for before driving off. I love all three methods of driving it. I've yet to use Sport Plus so can't comment on that. Reving to 5K rpms between shifts should be used on a track, IMO. No maintenance issues and plan to change pdk clutch oil at 60K per required service.
I agree that sport plus in auto mode has no place for street use. That said.....I use sport plus all the time in manual mode. Has nothing to do with RPM since you control that yourself with shifting gears. The only difference between sport and sport plus in manual mode is quicker shifts. Try it and I think you'll find the manual sport mode shifts kind of sluggish compared to plus and only marginally better than normal mode which I never use.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:17 PM
porterror
Racer

Default PDK

Any PDK differences between 2009-2012?
Old 11-15-2014, 12:37 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by porterror
I'm a big manual fan, but have been tempted recently to join the PDK club. My last hesitation revolves around cost of PDK fix/replacement. Is the transmission a ticking time/$ bomb? I feel good knowing if my clutch needs replacement it isn't a huge cost to repair.
If you're truly a "big manual fan" like me, you'll be back in a manual long before the issue of PDK longevity comes into play.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:37 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I agree that sport plus in auto mode has no place for street use. That said.....I use sport plus all the time in manual mode. Has nothing to do with RPM since you control that yourself with shifting gears. The only difference between sport and sport plus in manual mode is quicker shifts. Try it and I think you'll find the manual sport mode shifts kind of sluggish compared to plus and only marginally better than normal mode which I never use.
Thanks for the advise. Never tried it that way but will now. Always looking for better and various ways to drive with the PDK tranny.

Quick Reply: PDK (cost + future proof?)