Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the board AND need your help to identify my brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 02:31 PM
s-spiff
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New to the board AND need your help to identify my brakes!

Greetings all. I used to be part of this board awhile ago when I had a 996. I've just gotten a new to me '05 997S. I need your help as the brakes on the car were upgraded at some point (not by the previous owner). Can you help me identify these? Any info will be useful even in terms of what pads I should use, etc. The rear brakes are also Brembos with 2 piece rotors. I haven't had enough time to see how the parking brake is hooked up but it does work.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Last edited by s-spiff; 10-20-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:31 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

with a very good probability it is a brembo kit and you can use measuring tape to see what is the exact diameter of the rotor - 355 or 380mm.

then look here and online for compatibility charts on gran turismo brembo kits, I guess.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...oModClar=Coupe
Old 10-20-2014, 04:13 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is your car a black 2005 launch car? If so, it came wioth PCCB brakes which were probably swapped out when the original ceramic rotors ($$$) needed replacement.

I know that doesn't tell you what you have, but it may explain why the brakes were changed at some point.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:29 PM
s-spiff
Instructor

Thanks for the comments so far. It does look like I have brembo GT's.

The car is seal grey so I don't believe it's a launch car, unless they came in different colours....
Old 10-21-2014, 10:22 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Previous owner may have tracked the car and wanted more braking than the standard Big Red brakes that come on the S cars would provide (although Big Red brakes are pretty good in most cases). Did you check the DME for overrevs when buying the car, as that may lend some info about whether it was tracked or not. Or, as someone else mentioned, they may have swapped out original PCCBs which, although standard on a black launch car, were also available as an option ($8,000 I think). There shouldn't be anything wrong with those Brembos though. A bit odd he spent a few grand on the Brembo kit without upgrading to stainless brake lines though.

Being an '05, you should also check the VIN # against the Porsche IMS lawsuit website to see if your car is included in the class or excluded. If it's included you may want replace the IMS bearing with the LN Engineering one if that hasn't been done. If it's excluded, it is likely a later build '05 and has the larger OEM bearing which has a very low failure rate.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:24 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

I would be looking as to why there seems to be so much fluid against the inside of your inner fenders. Looks like you may have a leak of some sort.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:56 PM
s-spiff
Instructor

Thanks all for the additional responses. I too found it strange to see that rubber brake lines were not upgraded to stainless but I get the sense that these brakes were for show.

The fluid was soapy water sprayed previously trying to find the source of a leak on the tire which is why it was off in the first place. Not fun getting a flat literally driving off from picking up the car!

In researching more, it looks like these are Brembo GT 8-piston calipers (with 4-pots in the back). Seems like overkill if you're not planning to track the car regularly.

Anyone interested in trading for their stock 997S brakes?
Old 10-21-2014, 10:59 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those brakes are badass! I would definitely keep them...I wouldn't worry about originality too much, a CS is never going to be a collector car and there will always be stock brakes out there to retrofit.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:51 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Simply remove the current pads, both front and rear, and get the model number off the back of the pads.

Quick Reply: New to the board AND need your help to identify my brakes!