Sponsored by:

Coolant question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 09:45 PM
Jerrsnbrg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant question

I had a coolant leak from an old cap. I added distillerd water to it twice for a total of 1.5 cups of water. It is 2007 c4s with 58700 miles. It is over min line but below full so I could add some coolant in it to bring it to full. My question is I probably will get the water pump replaced as prevent maint in the next year so they can change all of the fluid then--- should I replace with antifreeze to bring it close to50/50 in the next couple of months if I need to or just use water? I live in atlanta so temps don't get super low.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:49 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Distilled water. You're fine. Good move on the water pump.

You have over 3 gallons of coolant in the system. A few cups of water matters not.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

The coolant mix is ok. The cap only lets water vapor escape. When you added the distilled water you just brought the ratio of anti-freeze and water back up to snuff.

If you are worried about if the coolant won't protect the engine from real cold temperatures you can check the freeze protection. I've never done this but IIRC auto parts stores sell strips that provide one with the freeze protection level.

When you have the water pump done you can have the system drained and refilled with fresh mix of antifreeze and water. I like to do this every 4 to 5 years. Helps prolong water pump life. 172K miles out of the water pump in my Boxster.

Quick Reply: Coolant question