Sponsored by:

05 997 C2, whine from the belt/pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 08:09 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 105 Posts
Default 05 997 C2, whine from the belt/pulleys

Hi all, I have a small issue to be diagnosed. I'm hearing a whine (I suspect its one of the pulleys) that plays along with the engine RPMs. Clutch, gear has no effect so I think those are safe. My guess is that it should be the bearings in one of the idler pulleys or the tensioner pulley. I don't know if it can be judged from the noise straight, but any wisdom from you all would be helpful.

The car has ~75000 miles, engine was rebuilt at 65000 miles (IMS).

Here's a link to the video (more like audio) recording I made this afternoon. Please tell me your thoughts.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:42 PM
997at
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd check the water pump out. I couldn't hear the noise in the video very well, but based on my experience and others I've read about the pulley bearing that seems to go first is the water pump (mine went at 32K miles). The water pump is at the rear of the engine on the drivers side. If you know where you're looking you can look at it with a flashlight and try to see if there is any play in the pump shaft of belt while the engine is running. If that's the issue then you not only solve the whine but also get the pump taken care of.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:03 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 105 Posts

Got the shop to take a look at the pulleys, belt and related components. The bearings had worn out in the tensioner and both the idler pulleys. Other components seem to be healthy.

The affected pulleys had all the grease pushed out and had grooves (metal on metal friction) in them! Also, the plastic surface of the pulleys under the belt had some wear because of the grooving.

I got the 3 pulleys and the belt replaced. No more squeaking noises or the whine

Quick Reply: 05 997 C2, whine from the belt/pulleys