Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPC Racing Dynamic Suspension Control (DSC)

Old 09-25-2014, 05:57 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,137 Likes on 3,910 Posts

Just ordered my 2 kits for 997.1 cars yesterday. Looking forward to the enhanced driving experience after getting them installed. One is going into a C2S with stock 997.1 Suspension and the other into a Supercharged C2S with RSS & Bilstein Damptronics setup so it should be interesting to see/feel how the driving dynamics of both cars change.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:01 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Petza914
Just ordered my 2 kits for 997.1 cars yesterday. Looking forward to the enhanced driving experience after getting them installed. One is going into a C2S with stock 997.1 Suspension and the other into a Supercharged C2S with RSS & Bilstein Damptronics setup so it should be interesting to see/feel how the driving dynamics of both cars change.
Looking forward to your feedback.

Emerald
Old 10-07-2014, 04:20 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

Im sure there have been post on this .But I was so impressed I had to say something.Its rare when you get something that is such a great value or bang for the buck! Well this is one!So I just put in this unit.All I can say is abosolutely awesome! The comfort mode is far superior (as in considerable!)The sport modes are equally impressive.I loved my GT2 before, now its even better.Talk about best bang for the buck!If you have a GT2/3 or any P car that can use it THIS IS A MUST HAVE UNIT! For street or track it is perfect
Oh ya a 2 minute install!
Tom is the man!Thanks!!!!

Last edited by roketman; 10-07-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:55 PM
3point8
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

ok im in how do I buy?
Old 10-07-2014, 05:41 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by roketman
Im sure there have been post on this .But I was so impressed I had to say something.Its rare when you get something that is such a great value or bang for the buck! Well this is one!So I just put in this unit.All I can say is abosolutely awesome! The comfort mode is far superior (as in considerable!)The sport modes are equally impressive.I loved my GT2 before, now its even better.Talk about best bang for the buck!If you have a GT2/3 or any P car that can use it THIS IS A MUST HAVE UNIT! For street or track it is perfect
Oh ya a 2 minute install!
Tom is the man!Thanks!!!!
Thanks for the great review Roketman! Don't thank me, all I did was boxed and shipped it to you. The credit goes to Mike Levitas, he came up with the idea 8 years ago and used all of his Motec racing data as a model to create the algorithm for DSC. You're driving on his race winning shock damping strategies. Thank you for using our product. We are very glad you like it.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:52 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3point8
ok im in how do I buy?
DSC works awesome on a Carrera S PASM. It firms up the suspension without harshness and vastly improves vehicle stability at high speeds.

Please call or email us to order.
Tel: 410-799-7223 Mon-Fri 8am-5pm Eastern Time.
Email: tchan@tpcracing.com

We have about 10 units available in this batch. The 10% discount will expire in 2 days or when we sell out. We don't know when the next batch will be available, could be 6 weeks or longer.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:45 PM
Swoody
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is scheduled for Saturday delivery. Very much looking forward to this mod!
Old 10-08-2014, 08:49 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Man I am so intrigued with this mod for my Bilstein Damptronics. I so want to get one but really wish I could plug one in when I'm at Sebring and compare the feel. Seems like a super cool product from a very reputable and knowledgable Porsche shop.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:26 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Man I am so intrigued with this mod for my Bilstein Damptronics. I so want to get one but really wish I could plug one in when I'm at Sebring and compare the feel. Seems like a super cool product from a very reputable and knowledgable Porsche shop.
I installed this mod yesterday into my 997.1 Supercharged C2S and today took it on a business trip (about 180 miles of mostly highway). I'm responding because my car has Bilstein B16 Damptronics, RSS LCSAs, F&R Toe Steer Kits, Rear Dogbones, Camber Lock plates, Semi-solid motor mounts, F&R Adjustable Sway Bars with Adj Drop Links, & Tarett Front Monoball top mounts, so thought my initial impressions might be worth something to those with modified suspensions that are interested in this upgrade. Since I have a 997.1, I had to also install the 3-axis accelerometer as part of the kit. Upon completing the install, I did a quick test on my local test circuit - some backroads with curves, some state highway with straights, and the way the car handles when being pushed a bit is really remarkable.

In turns, this upgrade is absolutely amazing - no body roll, you can feel that the outside of the car is stiffer than the inside, helping you hold a line and it makes the car pinpoint accurate through turns - even more so than it was before, and with the Bilstein and RSS mods, it was pretty accurate. If I was a track junky, I would rate this a "must-have" mod.

I'm a street & mountain roads driver though, so a little different. On the street, the car feels similar to how it did with the stock PASM controller, although sometimes a bit softer and other times a bit firmer depending on the road conditions and circumstances. I can definitely feel it stiffening the rear under acceleration and stiffening the front under braking. Stiffening on acceleration eliminates the lightening of the front you sometimes feel, but on the street, the stiffening under braking can be good sometimes, but less good others. About the latter, let me elaborate - if you're pulling up to an intersection where the pavement has been rippled by use, the stiffening of the front seems to make the wheels want to bounce or hop a little on these bumps instead of just absorb them - my ABS didn't engage but it felt "rougher". However, I had to slow down quickly on the highway today for a truck that decided to move into my lane, and on smooth pavement, the anti-dive characteristics are great - even better, more controlled stopping than with the OEM setup, and I have PCCBs so they stopped pretty well before!

The other thing I notice is that at times, the car can feel a little twitchy in certain circumstances. I did a lane change on a noticeably crested two lane highway from the left lane to the right lane and when I turned right, I felt the left front stiffen. As the car came over the road crest with the stiffer left front, it made the crest feel more significant than it looked like it should, almost like the car pushed off the crest, or maybe the stiffer front left just made the car more responsive which gave me that perception.

It could also be that I just need some more seat time to adapt to the increased precision and the way the car feels and drives with an active suspension. With my limited experience to date, for a street driven only car, I'd probably rate it an 8 - overall it would be a 7, but for the way it dramatically improves the way the car corners and accelerates, I had to award another point, making it an 8.

I have a 2nd kit to install into my wife's car, which is also a 997.1 C2S and I'm curious to see how the characteristics of that car change since it's on a completely stock PASm suspension setup.

What would be an interesting test now that I have the 3-axis accelerometer installed in my car is to be able to do a test drive with the current TPC box and then swap the box back to my OEM PASM box and compare the two back to back.

Tom or Harris,
  1. will having the 3-axis accelerometer hooked up give me an error if I go back to the OEM box for a test
  2. will the OEM box just ignore the inputs from it or will it enable some type of active suspension using the OEM box now that it's getting this type of data (why did Porsche install this in the 997.2 cars - are they using this data)

Thanks and let me know. As of right now, I'm planning to keep the DSC upgrade in place to get some more experience with it and would also like to do a mountain run for additional data points.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:37 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
I installed this mod yesterday into my 997.1 Supercharged C2S and today took it on a business trip (about 180 miles of mostly highway). I'm responding because my car has Bilstein B16 Damptronics, RSS LCSAs, F&R Toe Steer Kits, Rear Dogbones, Camber Lock plates, Semi-solid motor mounts, F&R Adjustable Sway Bars with Adj Drop Links, & Tarett Front Monoball top mounts, so thought my initial impressions might be worth something to those with modified suspensions that are interested in this upgrade. Since I have a 997.1, I had to also install the 3-axis accelerometer as part of the kit. Upon completing the install, I did a quick test on my local test circuit - some backroads with curves, some state highway with straights, and the way the car handles when being pushed a bit is really remarkable.

In turns, this upgrade is absolutely amazing - no body roll, you can feel that the outside of the car is stiffer than the inside, helping you hold a line and it makes the car pinpoint accurate through turns - even more so than it was before, and with the Bilstein and RSS mods, it was pretty accurate. If I was a track junky, I would rate this a "must-have" mod.

I'm a street & mountain roads driver though, so a little different. On the street, the car feels similar to how it did with the stock PASM controller, although sometimes a bit softer and other times a bit firmer depending on the road conditions and circumstances. I can definitely feel it stiffening the rear under acceleration and stiffening the front under braking. Stiffening on acceleration eliminates the lightening of the front you sometimes feel, but on the street, the stiffening under braking can be good sometimes, but less good others. About the latter, let me elaborate - if you're pulling up to an intersection where the pavement has been rippled by use, the stiffening of the front seems to make the wheels want to bounce or hop a little on these bumps instead of just absorb them - my ABS didn't engage but it felt "rougher". However, I had to slow down quickly on the highway today for a truck that decided to move into my lane, and on smooth pavement, the anti-dive characteristics are great - even better, more controlled stopping than with the OEM setup, and I have PCCBs so they stopped pretty well before!

The other thing I notice is that at times, the car can feel a little twitchy in certain circumstances. I did a lane change on a noticeably crested two lane highway from the left lane to the right lane and when I turned right, I felt the left front stiffen. As the car came over the road crest with the stiffer left front, it made the crest feel more significant than it looked like it should, almost like the car pushed off the crest, or maybe the stiffer front left just made the car more responsive which gave me that perception.

It could also be that I just need some more seat time to adapt to the increased precision and the way the car feels and drives with an active suspension. With my limited experience to date, for a street driven only car, I'd probably rate it an 8 - overall it would be a 7, but for the way it dramatically improves the way the car corners and accelerates, I had to award another point, making it an 8.

I have a 2nd kit to install into my wife's car, which is also a 997.1 C2S and I'm curious to see how the characteristics of that car change since it's on a completely stock PASm suspension setup.

What would be an interesting test now that I have the 3-axis accelerometer installed in my car is to be able to do a test drive with the current TPC box and then swap the box back to my OEM PASM box and compare the two back to back.

Tom or Harris,
  1. will having the 3-axis accelerometer hooked up give me an error if I go back to the OEM box for a test
  2. will the OEM box just ignore the inputs from it or will it enable some type of active suspension using the OEM box now that it's getting this type of data (why did Porsche install this in the 997.2 cars - are they using this data)

Thanks and let me know. As of right now, I'm planning to keep the DSC upgrade in place to get some more experience with it and would also like to do a mountain run for additional data points.
Thank you very much for your review.

You can absolutely swap the stock PASM box for back to back comparison. The stock PASM box will ignore the 3-axis accelerometer and you won't get an error code from it. Just make sure the key is out of the ignition switch when you do the swap.

After driving a number of cars with DSC including 5K street and track miles in my personal car I agree with you on the braking on very choppy surface. To me, that is the only down side but I can deal with it by braking early and with less effort to avoid the shake. It is good that this condition is not common on street and even less common on race tracks. I have been driving mostly in Mode 1 on street so that makes it less noticeable. In your particular case, the Bilstein 260 in-lb short front springs with fully compressed tender springs can get pretty choppy. We convert a lot of our local customer with a longer spring and increase the spring rate to 350 in-lb and delete the tender springs. This actually make the car ride nicer in all condition and have even more front end support. This is achieved using longer length of spring wire. Its worth considering as a future mod.

As for the drift on off camber turns, my perspective is that DSC makes adjusting the line more precise which consequentially makes a car that has semi-aggressive to aggressive alignment settings pull if there's a relaxed grip on the steering wheel. Not an issue for me, it just requires that I pay more attention on public roads with off camber turns.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:42 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Might be able to work something out if you're going there in January...
Old 10-08-2014, 10:42 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Thank you very much for your review.

You can absolutely swap the stock PASM box for back to back comparison. The stock PASM box will ignore the 3-axis accelerometer and you won't get an error code from it. Just make sure the key is out of the ignition switch when you do the swap.

After driving a number of cars with DSC including 5K street and track miles in my personal car I agree with you on the braking on very choppy surface. To me, that is the only down side but I can deal with it by braking early and with less effort to avoid the shake. It is good that this condition is not common on street and even less common on race tracks. I have been driving mostly in Mode 1 on street so that makes it less noticeable. In your particular case, the Bilstein 260 in-lb short front springs with fully compressed tender springs can get pretty choppy. We convert a lot of our local customer with a longer spring and increase the spring rate to 350 in-lb and delete the tender springs. This actually make the car ride nicer in all condition and have even more front end support. This is achieved using longer length of spring wire. Its worth considering as a future mod.

As for the drift on off camber turns, my perspective is that DSC makes adjusting the line more precise which consequentially makes a car that has semi-aggressive to aggressive alignment settings pull if there's a relaxed grip on the steering wheel. Not an issue for me, it just requires that I pay more attention on public roads with off camber turns.
Thanks Tom. My car is currently using stock GT3 Suspension settings for camber, toe, etc. It's also corner balanced. As I said, this was just an initial review and I'm looking forward to further experience with the system. Good to know about the abiity to swap the boxes back and forth without issue.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:34 AM
mk3boy
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

interesting thread!
Old 10-26-2014, 05:26 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Just wondering how the DSC unit interacts with the PSM (stability control) and the PDK shift points in each of the 3 modes? My car doesn't have a "PASM" button, it only has a "Sport" and "Sport Plus" button (997.2S PDK)
Old 10-26-2014, 09:34 AM
Kinesis 996
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much is this? I can't find it on the TPC site.

Will it work well with PASM + lowered H&R springs?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPC Racing Dynamic Suspension Control (DSC)