Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 S Project Coming

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 12:23 AM
dmz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a 991 light switch. 997 never had the auto headlights or chrome trim. I doubt it would fit on a 997.

Originally Posted by ocmacman
Does anyone know if this headlamp cover will fit my 997.1? I think it's from a 997.2 car

Can I put this on my 997.1?

Also starting to check on an upholsterer for my seats.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:02 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks. I really like the chrome trim. That's what I was looking for.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:04 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
Woohoo! It has to be such a weight off your shoulders to be the final stretch... congrats and compliments on your persistence on seeing this through!

When you get a chance, I'd also be curious to know what was going on with the O2 sensors. I'm also interested to see what you are planning with the paint.
The shop told me that the o2 sensors were changed out and the new ones worked fine. I guess the ebay sensors were not up to the job. Hopefully I can get my money back. Car is still at the shop getting a new ignition switch and smog.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:07 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaddMike
I just ordered one of these based on reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks, I picked up two camera's a few weeks ago. Will be using them quite a bit once I get the car back.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:08 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
It appears that both of your codes are oxygen sensor ones. I was hoping they were the same sensor but I see they are not.
P0030: HO2S Heater Control Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P2197: O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Lean bank2 Sensor1
You likely know all this, but just in case:
Our cars apparently use electrically heated oxygen sensors to get the sensors hot faster. The first message appears to be saying that bank 1 sensor 1 heater isn't working. The second is just saying that bank 2 sensor 1 is never reporting anything other than full lean.

I'd guess the first course of action would be just to make sure they are plugged in and the wires haven't been pinched/cut and/or shorted, which my Googling says could cause both of these. If the wires and plugs all check out, the only thing left I'd think would be to replace those two sensors. I'd think the other possible causes I see are much less likely since it sounds like the engine is running okay.

Had to replace those two sensors
Old 02-21-2017, 06:17 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Had to replace those two sensors
Thank you for the follow-up, I'm glad to hear the emissions are all sorted out now.

I agree with DMZ that the 991 light switch would almost certainly not work for you.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:13 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Picked up these off the truck today:

New (to me) sport seats. Came in today. They will be on the way to the upholsterer next week for some custom work!

Car is still in the shop. Indie hasn't been able to figure out why the key won't come out of the car. He checked the tranny and the connection under the car. Checked and bought a new ignition switch and still nothing. He said he will take off the shifter and change it out.

Now when I drove the car the first two times the key cam out fine and even before the engine was put in the key came out fine. It's just when I drove the car for the 2nd time that the key didn't come out. Actually when I drove the car for the 2nd time that's when the key stop coming out. The only thing I can think of is that the radiator hose came off. Don't know how that could cause ignition issues but you never know. If the new shifter isn't it then I am stumped. Strange it would work twice and then the key would stop coming out.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:07 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Updates:

So the car is still in the shop. Indie has techs out with cold in this bad California rainy weather. Also he has not been able to figure out why the key won't come out of the car when the car stops. He has now taken out the whole shifter. Maybe a new one will work. However the shifter worked fine on the first two drives of the car. Hopefully he can get to it soon. The Festival of Speed is coming up soon. Looking for a local Porsche Seat upholsterer.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:26 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Ok RL. So I called the shop and asked when I can pick up my car. He said he could not figure out why the key would not come out of the ignition. They had my car for a couple of weeks. Now he did other things to the car, coolant pressure test, fixed a few leaks and replaced the 02 sensors that were throwing a code. He said that the car was mechanically in park but the DME didn't recognize it as in park. The car runs and changes gears in Tip mode and in regular mode fine. Some history. When I first started the car (video in my thread) the car started fine and the key came out of the car fine. The second time I started the car and drove it the key came out fine again. The third time I drove the car, the radiator hose came off and I drove into my garage and the key would not come out. So to this day it will not come out (unless I use the emergency release button). So the shop was honest and said they tried everything. Removing the console and the shifter, checking underneath the car and the tranny. Removing and replacing the ignition switch. He said he didn't want to throw money at the problem if he couldn't diagnose it. I really appreciated that.

So where to go from here. I should get the car back tomorrow smoged and ready to get registered. However the key issue. Could it be the DME/ECU is bad or needs replacing. He said the computer didn't recognize the car being in Park. Well before I take it to the dealer anyone have an opinion or recommendation even. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:55 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts
Default what about removing ignition and key and replacing...

i guess then you would need to do the door as well, or have 2 keys...?may be unnecessarily expensive, or remove key, disassemble, and leave shaft in ignition so it would be less obvious and get a new key for the door....or, separate key shaft from remote and leave shaft in ignition and use remote to lock car, but ECU recognizes that key is still in ignition, though it should still lock doors, just thoughts...
Ok RL. So I called the shop and asked when I can pick up my car. He said he could not figure out why the key would not come out of the ignition. They had my car for a couple of weeks. Now he did other things to the car, coolant pressure test, fixed a few leaks and replaced the 02 sensors that were throwing a code. He said that the car was mechanically in park but the DME didn't recognize it as in park. The car runs and changes gears in Tip mode and in regular mode fine. Some history. When I first started the car (video in my thread) the car started fine and the key came out of the car fine. The second time I started the car and drove it the key came out fine again. The third time I drove the car, the radiator hose came off and I drove into my garage and the key would not come out. So to this day it will not come out (unless I use the emergency release button). So the shop was honest and said they tried everything. Removing the console and the shifter, checking underneath the car and the tranny. Removing and replacing the ignition switch. He said he didn't want to throw money at the problem if he couldn't diagnose it. I really appreciated that.

So where to go from here. I should get the car back tomorrow smoged and ready to get registered. However the key issue. Could it be the DME/ECU is bad or needs replacing. He said the computer didn't recognize the car being in Park. Well before I take it to the dealer anyone have an opinion or recommendation even. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:33 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Man, I wish I knew more about the electrical system on the car. Were there any more ground locations inside the car that might have shifted or come slightly loose? Gotta think things through here. Obvisouly not the switch as it's been replaced. Did you say he just removed and checked the shifter, but didn't install another one, or was a new or known good used one installed? Did you muck around with anything else in that area of the car? If you did, that would be the first place to start looking.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:55 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

On the outside change you haven't seen these threads: I did this Google search (https://www.google.com/#q=porsche+99...ic+key+stuck&*) and found that a handful of reports about Tiptronics with this problem. It sounds like it is pretty finicky.

Here is one example thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-ignition.html. Posts #10 and #18 both refer to it being a fairly fine adjustment.

I'm thinking the dealer will pretty quickly solve this. After all of the progress you've managed to make so far at nominal costs, hopefully this one dealer trip won't hurt too much.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:15 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

In the words of the most prolific poet and limerick creator Ice Cube, today was a good day. Yesterday I picked Blumagic II up from the indie shop. He said he could not figure out why the key will not come out after tearing apart the console and the shifter and inspecting the linkage. He also put it on his computer (don't know what kind he has). He did a great job on the inspection though. The car checks out. There was one non ready state that needed to get ready. So this morning was our PCA OCR club meeting. I pulled the car out and drove it to the meeting. I had my key jimmy ready as well. I arrive at the meeting and tell my buddy that I need to check the ready state so I can possible get smoged today. He says he has a computer that can check and plugged it into my OBDII slot. It showed the same ready state as the Indie showed so I figured I needed to drive the car a bit. We went into the meeting and when we came out I had one of the club techs come with me and I demonstrated putting the key into the ignition. I started the car and turned the car off and low and behold the damn key came out without incident! So the tech says "what's wrong?" as I sit there and look kinda dopey. So I tried it again and the key came out again with no incident. Well I don't know what the heck happened but hallelujah!!. So I drove the car back home after the meeting. I drove the car 65mph for about 15 mins. I drove directly to the smog station to see if I was "ready". The tech checked and I was ready. I said smog it. Got my smog with flying colors and was very happy, happy , happy. Now I can finish the project. Next step is paint shop. So I will be looking for shops this weekend to get the car in next week. I guess things just have to "work" themselves out with Porsches. So off to other items and getting ready for some events. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:45 PM
n1gels
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congratulations on a well earned reward for all your hard work and perseverance! It must have been sweet driving your car after passing the smog test.

I wonder if the key issue was just a bad or corroded contact somewhere? Either way, enjoy!
Old 03-04-2017, 08:57 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Nice.

Quick Reply: 997 S Project Coming