Sponsored by:

Electrical problem with Radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 06:21 PM
JRHJR
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Electrical problem with Radio

I have a 2006 911 Carrera S Cabriolet with a PCM 2.1 non Bose non - Nav in it. Number 997-642-141-03. Initially I thought the radio had died as nothing worked on it. Suddenly today, the Porsche logo appeared when I started the car and I pressed the radio button and it came on with 100% functionality of all control buttons and *****.

When I arrived at my destination I turned the car off, removed the key and the radio continued to play for about 20 seconds before turning off. I started the car about 20 minutes later and the system appeared to be dead again. I proceeded to a second destination with no radio.

I started the car a third time to return home and the radio came back on again once again with full functionality. I drove home, manually turned off the radio and turned off the car and withdrew the key. I reinserted the key, restarted the car and tried the radio and again got nothing.

I am now convinced it is not the radio that is bad but rather that the radio is sometimes being given power when the car is started and other times it is not. Is there a switch or some type of soleniod that is activated when the key is inserted into the ignition to send power to the radio that may be the source of the problem?

I ask this because it is awfully strange that the radio would continue to play for some time after the key was removed from the ignition. This would seem to indicate to me that there is a circuit that isn't closing sometimes to shut off the radio and that isn't opening sometimes to turn on the radio.

I am hoping that somebody out there is a 997 electrical systems GURU and can give me some ideas here. Thanks.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:37 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There will be a mechanical circuit in the key switch that activates the electrical circuit related to the ignition on position of the key. If there is a wiring problem there, such behavior could happen.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:42 PM
JRHJR
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much for the response. I will check there.

Quick Reply: Electrical problem with Radio