Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all Centerlock Wheel Owners.........

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 04:18 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Calling all Centerlock Wheel Owners.........

Just gauging some thoughts/opinions here... but when you ordered/took delivery of your car... did you think of the centerlock wheels as a perk or a flaw?

from what i remember i think all the GTS (for most part) came with Centerlock.. not sure if it was even an option on other 997's (besides Turbo, and forced on GT3's)

I honestly was nervous to mess with them at first, but after swapping wheels i found the rear wheels extremely easy and the perk being the center "lock" piece shows you instantly if they are locked or not... fronts are a pain since they require the vehicle on and someone else on the brake pedal... but at the end of the day, cool factor aside i feel that 5 lug is just easier and regardless of what my torque wrench said, i always felt like they might not be perfectly seated/etc..

curious to hear the overall census on centerlocks... and who loves em.. and so forth.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:24 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

A PITA as far as I am concerned having lived with them on my '10 RS
Old 08-01-2014, 05:33 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When looking for a Porsche 911, I zeroed in on the GTS after doing a lot of research on-line at first. The biggest complaint I read about were the center lock wheels. So, I went to a Porsche dealer who listed two new ones in inventory and asked them about the center lock wheels. The service manager said the biggest complaint is that the dealership is the only oine with the tool to remove the center lock on the wheels. I'm not sure now if individuals can buy the wrench or not, but he said you could not at that time. So, the car would have to be towed to a Porsche dealer if it had a flat tire. I couldn't believe what I heard, because my first car was an MG with wire wheels and a knock-off center lock, and a wrench came with the car.

After learning this, I did a search for GTS cabs with 5 lug wheels. I only found one car within a 500 mile radius, and fortunately, it was located 40 minutes from my home location. I ended up buying that car.

Last edited by beden1; 08-02-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:53 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
When looking for a Porsche 911, I zeroed in on the GTS after doing a lot of research on-line at first. The biggest complaint I read about were the center lock wheels. So, I went to a Porsche dealer who listed two new ones in inventory and asked them about the center lock wheels. The service manager said the biggest complaint is that the dealership is the only oine with the tool to remove the center lock on the wheels. I'm not sure now if individuals can buy the wrench or not, but he said you could not at that time. So, the car would have to be towed to a Porsche dealer if it had a flat tire. I couldn't believe what I heard because my first car was an MG with wire wheels and a knock-off center lock, and a wrench came with the car.

After learning this, I did a search for GTS cabs with 5 lug wheels. I only found one car within a 500 mile radius, and fortunately, it was located 40 minutes from my home location. I ended up buying that car.
i had a blowout on 10' GT3 and porsche towed it to the dealer free.. but i do have the tool in the trunk, and a torque wrench.. the problem comes in when you also need and dont have a jack... and or a person to push the brake for you...

i always fretted a blowout, and ofcourse it happened... i kept a plug kit in the car for the ones i could fix on the car.. but yeah... didn't happen that way.. i was 90 mins from a dealer when it happened... i cant even imagine it happening in texas when i was 4-5 hours away from anything
Old 08-01-2014, 06:05 PM
BobDyl
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a lot depends on if you track the car or not. If you go to the track regularly, centerlocks are a real pain. The 12-step process to properly swap wheels is ridiculous for the normal person and is often a 2-man job. 5-lugs are way easier in this case since all you have to do is make sure the wheel is seated and then torque properly.

If you don't track, well, let's face it, the centerlocks look incredible. And much as purists will complain about "jewelry" there's not a single person here who bought a 911 for entirely pragmatic reasons. The styling is always part of the equation. Another bonus to the centerlock RS Spyder wheels is that they are forged, meaning strong and light. The only other 997 OEM wheels that are forged, to my knowledge, and the Turbo II wheels (by far my choice for 5-lug wheels on the 997).
Old 08-01-2014, 06:20 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 302 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
When looking for a Porsche 911, I zeroed in on the GTS after doing a lot of research on-line at first. The biggest complaint I read about were the center lock wheels. So, I went to a Porsche dealer who listed two new ones in inventory and asked them about the center lock wheels. The service manager said the biggest complaint is that the dealership is the only oine with the tool to remove the center lock on the wheels. I'm not sure now if individuals can buy the wrench or not, but he said you could not at that time. So, the car would have to be towed to a Porsche dealer if it had a flat tire. I couldn't believe what I heard because my first car was an MG with wire wheels and a knock-off center lock, and a wrench came with the car.

All you need is the nut and a the ability to break and torque the wheel to a high torque value.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:55 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only learnt that the centerlocks are a PITA after I bought mine, which came with the regular 5-lugged Carrera Sports. Original owner must have ordered the car with optional Carrera Sport wheels, and Alcantara delete (except the roof liner of course). I actually thought it was something missing, short of OEM standard features, and used that as part of my price negotiation on the deal. Then found out later from Tim (gotta911) that both the centerlocks and Alcantara were not so desireable on the GTS. Guess I got lucky, I'm happy with the way it is.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:56 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

You don't want them,they're impractical...

As a matter of fact,I didn't even know GTSs came with 5 lugs new! Thanks for that info BTW! You live and learn...
I bought used with CLs.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:52 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

They're highly impractical. If you need a second person to keep the brake pedal down for the fronts just carry a tennis racket. Press the brake pedal with the handle of the racket and wedge the other end against the front of the seat. Let the power seat move forward as needed to keep all in place.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:57 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BobDyl
I think a lot depends on if you track the car or not. If you go to the track regularly, centerlocks are a real pain. The 12-step process to properly swap wheels is ridiculous for the normal person and is often a 2-man job. 5-lugs are way easier in this case since all you have to do is make sure the wheel is seated and then torque properly.

If you don't track, well, let's face it, the centerlocks look incredible. And much as purists will complain about "jewelry" there's not a single person here who bought a 911 for entirely pragmatic reasons. The styling is always part of the equation. Another bonus to the centerlock RS Spyder wheels is that they are forged, meaning strong and light. The only other 997 OEM wheels that are forged, to my knowledge, and the Turbo II wheels (by far my choice for 5-lug wheels on the 997).
+1 on this. I don't track my car and have had my GTS with CL wheels for three years with absolutely no problems. They look great, are forged and are great wheels. Now if I tracked my car and needed to change wheels frequently, I might not like them. My Porsche dealer matches or beats Tirerack, or any local tire dealer's prices, so I go there when I need new tires.

Last edited by GSIRM3; 08-02-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:27 AM
Swoody
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in the "don't track my car, so not a problem for me" camp. I think they look great and have no problem buying the torque wrench and breaker required if for some reason I will be taking them off myself. When I sell the car, they will go with it.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:42 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

They are one of the worst decisions Porsche has ever made. Ever.

After seeing my 2011 GT3 with the wheels off, there is no way I would ever track a center-lock car. It's no wonder they fall off. WTF were they thinking????
And why should I have to carry a 4-foot torque wrench if I want to travel? Sure, you can use the emergency procedure with just a breaker bar, but still. It also limits where you can buy tires.

Stupid, stupid idea. If I decide not to keep my 991 GT3, the wheels will be one of the main reasons.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts
Default CLs

I have them on my TTS. Not a problem.
If I get a flat, there's no spare tire anyway.
Has to be towed.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:49 AM
carbonGT
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

The 1st time I want to open my CL in an independent tyre store, I have a problem because no tool for it. So I bought a special tool in Suncoast, then all is fine.

I have 2 997 with CL, don't track them often so CL is not a big issue for me. I like the look of CL, this is one of the reason I'm going to keep them for long.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:08 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Porsche Center Lock's SUCK!

I will not by the new GT3 because of Center Locks and that there is not 6 point harness factory sport seat. 5 lug wheels all day everyday!...so much easier to deal with.

Quick Reply: Calling all Centerlock Wheel Owners.........