Sponsored by:

Gauge cluster not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 10:54 PM
majariwr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge cluster not working

The bubbling gauge saga continues (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ng-gauges.html). I finally decided to replace the gauge faces. Followed to the DIY to remove the cluster. Everything was going well when I realized that the hard wired K40 LEDs and piezo speakers didn't have connectors that I could see, so decided to put it back together and seek professional help. Plugged the wiring harness connector back in, put it all back together and turned the key. Car started fine, but cluster is completely dead: no lights, no LCDs, no needle movement. I don't get it. Essentially unplugged it, and then plugged it back in. Did not turn the car on while it was unplugged. Not sure what to do next. Ideas? Thanks.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:16 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you unplug battery while doing all this? If you have durametric or any odb2 scanner try to read codes to see if front ecu and cluster show anything and reset codes.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:21 PM
majariwr
Intermediate

I didn't unplug the battery. Didn't see that in any of the DIYs. Newbie mistake? Fixable I hope?
Old 07-29-2014, 10:14 AM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW I have removed and installed the cluster several times with the battery connected, never caused an issue. I don't think that is the problem. First thing I would do is make sure the connector is probably in and that the locking lever on it is pushed down correctly. If that is all could take a look at the both sides of the connector and make sure everything is as it should be.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:24 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by majariwr
I didn't unplug the battery. Didn't see that in any of the DIYs. Newbie mistake? Fixable I hope?
depends upon what ECU thinks now. like Phil wrote above it is not an expected outcome. so, who knows. worst case scenario it may require piwis to reinitialize cluster. immobilizer, cluster and front ecu are all interconnected, if you ever plan to disconnect anything electrical - always unplug battery and wait a bit as this car never sleeps. that`s why it drains battery when in garage.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:03 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

before taking it to a professional, I would double-check that the cluster wiring harness is properly locked into place, disconnect the negative battery terminal for 10 minutes, and plug everything back in. If the thing doesn't come to life after this then I'd take it in.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:16 PM
bankerII
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Domer911
before taking it to a professional, I would double-check that the cluster wiring harness is properly locked into place, disconnect the negative battery terminal for 10 minutes, and plug everything back in. If the thing doesn't come to life after this then I'd take it in.
^^^This

I just changed out my gauge faces today, reinstalled the cluster, hooked the battery back up and started the car. Same thing, cluster was completely dead.

I took the cluster back out and found that I had not properly seated the wiring harness plug. It's hard to push all the way in because of the angles you have to work with and the locking tab engaged even though I wasn't plugged all the way back in.

Once reinstalled, everything was back to normal with no codes.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:26 PM
majariwr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bankerII
^^^This I just changed out my gauge faces today, reinstalled the cluster, hooked the battery back up and started the car. Same thing, cluster was completely dead. I took the cluster back out and found that I had not properly seated the wiring harness plug. It's hard to push all the way in because of the angles you have to work with and the locking tab engaged even though I wasn't plugged all the way back in. Once reinstalled, everything was back to normal with no codes.
Occam's razor. The simplest explanation was the right one. Turns out that the connector was not seated properly. Thanks to all who suggested that. Bad news is that it won't lock into place. I must have damaged it trying to get it in. Indie is sourcing a solution. But cluster works and is on the way to Palo Alto for installation of new gauge faces.

Quick Reply: Gauge cluster not working