For those with clear film, a cleaning tip

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 07:08 PM
ksozay
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default For those with clear film, a cleaning tip

Good afternoon,

Apologies if this is redundant but wanted to share a recent tip I stumbled across for removing marks on film for those folks that have the wrap on their car for protection against scratches, rocks, etc. Should work on all film types but I've only tried it on my car which has XPEL film.

My car has a full body wrap using XPEL film. Noticed that along the bottom of the door sills I had a number of dark marks in the film from shoe scuff marks getting in and out of the car. These marks were there when I bought the car and I was told by the installation folks the only way to remove those marks was to remove the film and reinstall. Well, one morning while cleaning the plastics off the motocross bikes after a day of savage single track riding, I decided to try a little experiment.

I used Meguires ScratchX on all the dark marks I found on the XPEL film. Little elbow grease and marks came right out. Does a great job of removing the color from the clear film. Because XPEL is "self-healing", a little heat and the entire scuff disappeared. Was most happy with the removal of the dark marks.

Apologies for the lengthy explanation but hope this helps some folks. Good option as opposed to replacing.

Take care,

KS
Old 06-29-2014, 09:50 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the tip!
Old 06-29-2014, 10:18 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Thank you for the tip! I have tried polishing using a mild polish to no avail in the exact same area (door sills). I'll have to pick up some scratch x
Old 06-30-2014, 12:31 AM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the tip.

Quick Reply: For those with clear film, a cleaning tip