Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Trim Popped Loose - How to Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 01:04 PM
Schpee007
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Trim Popped Loose - How to Fix?

Noticed the door trim on my drivers door has popped loose/is not seated correctly. Is this something I can fix myself? Thinking maybe some kind of clip on the trim has broken? I have tried just pushing the piece from the top but have not had success getting the trim to stay properly seated.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140518_100402.png
Views: 1340
Size:  362.8 KB
Old 05-18-2014, 02:47 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It looks like the top of your door panel fell off the door frame. Did you slam the door shut real hard or something like that to cause it?

I am not sure if you will be able to get it back on without first removing the door panel (the top of the door panel "hooks" over the top of the door frame right by the window. There are several door panel removal "DIY" threads listed here and on 6speed (with lots of photos). Take a look at them and you should be able to get a good idea of how the door panel secures to the door frame. Be aware you may need to purchase a couple replacement clips if any of them are broken. The good thing is most dealers keep them in stock and they are really cheap (less than $2 each and the door panel has 9 of them).

Sean
Old 05-18-2014, 10:27 PM
Schpee007
Pro

Sniff, no door slamming, at least not by me. I am assuming this is from the prior owner and I only noticed yesterday when I had the drivers window down and saw it when I approached the car. I will check out the DIYs. Hopefully it is an easy fix. Thanks for the input. Appreciated.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:22 AM
Schpee007
Pro

Checked out the DIY for door panel removal and some panel listings on eBay. I came to the conclusion the top edge panel could not have just popped loose because it's a single integrated door panel. Popped off the end cap and found this...plastic has split. I am thinking it's worth a go to try and glue it. Thoughts? Thanks.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Schpee007; 05-20-2014 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Added photo
Old 05-20-2014, 05:43 PM
Schpee007
Pro

JB Weld Plastic Epoxy is on the way. Going to have to make it work because a new panel is $3,211!
Old 05-20-2014, 06:27 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

There are quite a few black 997 door panels for sale on ebay. Remember, the Cayman and the Boxsters use the same door panel shell, so it might be worth looking into a used one. You can always transfer the bits and pieces from your panel to the used one.

Sean
Old 05-20-2014, 06:44 PM
Schpee007
Pro

Originally Posted by Sniff
There are quite a few black 997 door panels for sale on ebay. Remember, the Cayman and the Boxsters use the same door panel shell, so it might be worth looking into a used one. You can always transfer the bits and pieces from your panel to the used one.

Sean
Search is up and running on eBay.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:37 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

There are perforations there to allow the airbag to deploy by splitting along that seam. My door panel split in the same spot. The local body shop repaired it perfectly from the inside. It almost looks like they used a glue stick. It wasn't too expensive either as I dropped both panels off for the repair (sub $100? don't remember exactly). Good luck!
Old 05-20-2014, 07:58 PM
Schpee007
Pro

Originally Posted by semicycler
There are perforations there to allow the airbag to deploy by splitting along that seam. My door panel split in the same spot. The local body shop repaired it perfectly from the inside. It almost looks like they used a glue stick. It wasn't too expensive either as I dropped both panels off for the repair (sub $100? don't remember exactly). Good luck!
I was wondering why those holes were there weakening the joint. Now I know. Thanks! Guess I don't want the glue to be too good, though, and prevent proper air bag deployment should the unthinkable ever happen.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:17 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

If you decide to go the used door panel route and eBay doesn't have what you are looking for, you can try one of the big Porsche dismantlers. DC Auto, Oklahoma Foreign, and LA Dismantlers all come to mind. You can also post a Wanted To By (WTB) thread on one of the Porsche forums and see if someone has one they need to unload.

Swapping all the door panel parts from one panel to another is a fairly easy DIY, but it may involve melting a few plastic rivets that hold some of the plastic pieces in place. That of course depends on how complete the used door panel you find is. You might get lucky and get a complete one which you can just plug and play.

That said, it might be worth seeing if you can find someone to repair the split in yours first, especially if it can be done correctly for only $100. A used door panel will cost you a bit more than that (plus the hassle of doing the swap), so it might be worth trying the cheaper option first. If it doesn't work, then you can do the door panel swap.

Sorry if I'm talking in circles, I just want to run down all your options.

Sean
Old 05-20-2014, 09:54 PM
Schpee007
Pro

Upon thinking about this one some more and the tie to the airbag system I am going to see if I can get this covered as a warranty item (defect in the door panel compromising the airbag system). Worth a shot.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:17 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Most definitely. If your car is under warranty, that would be the way to go. And it might solve your cracked speaker grill (reference other thread) at the same time.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:33 PM
Schpee007
Pro

As luck, or not, would have it, Sean, the speaker grille crack is on the passsenger side

Hopefully I will at least get the driver side fixed.

Quick Reply: Door Trim Popped Loose - How to Fix?