Sponsored by:

Hard to start the car even with the clutch depressed

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 10:28 PM
mwolfe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to start the car even with the clutch depressed

I am the proud new owner of an '08 Targa 4S--first P-car--check the bucket list.

It is a manual transmission, and as you all know the clutch has to be fully depressed to start the car. About half the time, I push in the clutch, turn the key and nothing happens, and I get a "Depress the clutch to start car" message on the dash computer. I can sometimes repeat this multiple times before the engine turns over and the car starts. Sometimes I am pushing very hard.

Other times it starts with no issues.

What is going on? I did a quick search, but frankly had a hard time finding a good search term.

Please tell me there is an easy adjustment I can do...Here's to hoping

Mike
Old 04-16-2014, 11:02 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Likely the pressure switch under the clutch. Have the p-dealer inspect/replace it.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:02 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds like a bad clutch interlock switch. Dealer can replace or search here for diy. Part is pretty cheap iirc
Old 04-16-2014, 11:22 PM
TxBob74
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same problem with my GTS and at the time my VIN did not have a service notification. The dealer still replaced it w/o charge; PCNA allows 0.1 hr for the replacement.

No problems since replacing it perhaps 16-18 mos ago.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:42 AM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 68 Posts

I had the exact same issue on my 08 c2s (with 22,500 miles). I bought the switch from sun coast (or Pelican, I can't remember) for about $45 and changed it in about 15 minutes. You will need a phillips head screwdriver that is about 1" long (I had a flat screwdriver tool that would be impossible for me to describe). I think Pelican has a DIY thread that tells you to lay down on your back in the passenger side footwell. I found that that made it impossible to reach the clutch pedal so I laid on my back in the driver side, directly under the clutch pedal!!

BTW, there are 2 switches on the clutch. One is for the safety at start up (the one you are having trouble with) and one is to turn off the cruise control. The one you need does NOT look exactly like the brake switch (except for the color).

Others told me it could be my battery because you start to get some electrical gremlins when you battery is nearing the end. I had a couple other small electrical issues so I changed the battery first. It has not resolved my other issues so I changed out the clutch switch.

GL
Old 04-17-2014, 03:13 PM
BoomC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like your Clutch Interlock switch is bad. Apparently if you get caught out, you can turn the key to start and hold it there for 30 seconds and it will override the switch. I did a write up on replacing the switch last November. Took me about 20 minutes. If you search "Clutch Interlock Switch Replacement", you will find the write up along with part numbers.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:18 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Girl in the office had three sets of winter mats in her car floor and peddles . clutch peddle would not go all the way down.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:28 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Girl in the office had three sets of winter mats in her car floor and peddles . clutch peddle would not go all the way down.
Pedals. Pedal.

Quick Reply: Hard to start the car even with the clutch depressed