Sponsored by:

Continental upgraded DWS sidewall strength

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 05:53 PM
Vape NYC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Continental upgraded DWS sidewall strength

In looking at all weather tires it seemed like the DWS was the best option except for the sidewalls, which some people felt was too soft.

I contacted Continental yesterday asking them about this issue and received this reply.

"Thank you for contacting Customer Relations at Continental Tire the Americas, LLC.

The ExtremeContact DWS's sidewall has been changed from a SL, standard load, to XL, extra load, increasing the strength of the sidewall."

I'm hoping that this makes the tire handle better and more resistant to blow out's from potholes.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:46 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I have Conti DWSs on my C4. Fronts are late 2010 build. Rears are late 2012 build. Both pair say Extra Load on the sidewall, so I don't know when Continental changed from SL to XL.
I am pleased with the mix of handling, grip, and slightly softer ride that these provide.
They are not as razor sharp in response to steering input compared to my Cayman S on 19" wheels with ContiSport Contact 3s. But the DWSs are very accurate and have great grip.
After driving the Cayman it only takes me a short while to get used to the DWSs on the Carrera and I enjoy the handling of them nearly as much as the Contact 3s. However I don't track the cars, and so I never use either to the ultimate grip and capability they have.

Last edited by Spokayman; 04-04-2014 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-04-2014, 07:52 PM
Vape NYC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the input. I thought It was a more recent upgrade.

Quick Reply: Continental upgraded DWS sidewall strength