Sponsored by:

Center Console Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 09:12 PM
gmwinder
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center Console Paint Job

I have a 2011 C2S Carrera White/Sea Blue.

I want to change out the center console with a painted one and was wondering if anyone has a white console. Not sure how it will look against the sea blue.

Thanks

Gary
Old 03-31-2014, 01:17 AM
Sgt Angus
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My interior is black but you get the idea.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:39 AM
Caymansnz
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have to order a painted one from the factory or is it ok to paint a standard black one?
Old 03-31-2014, 09:23 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

my interior is also black. I didn't order this car, and the white console is the only part of the interior I wish didn't exist...

Old 03-31-2014, 10:02 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

i've seen the sea blue + white console in photos here and on 6spd. do a search and you should be able to find it

it looks good!

Originally Posted by gmwinder
I have a 2011 C2S Carrera White/Sea Blue.

I want to change out the center console with a painted one and was wondering if anyone has a white console. Not sure how it will look against the sea blue.

Thanks

Gary
Old 03-31-2014, 05:29 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

We're ready to help you anytime....

Carrara White trim over Sea Blue on this 997:

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 03-31-2014, 09:21 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nice body color accents

Eric,

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but the photo you just posted shows the door grab handles and door pull "spear" panels painted in white (body color). I'm sure this is something you do, but where do I get the handles/panels to send off to you? My handles are in leather, so I am not sure this is something you can work with (do you remove the leather and paint the plastic underneath?). What about the spear panels . . . I hear you have to melt the plastic rivets off to remove them? I am also looking to do the map-case lids in body color, but again, mine are covered in leather. I would prefer to keep all the original bits with my car and just purchase the door pieces (finished in body color) outright. Is that an option? Much appreciated.

Sean
Old 03-31-2014, 09:43 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Old 03-31-2014, 09:45 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

gmwinder, there you go, very nice imo.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:59 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Found a new white OEM console on eBay

Gary,

I just checked eBay and found a brand new 997.1 OEM center console in Carrera White. The seller wants $700 and seems to have quite a few of these in different colors (I have no affiliation with the seller . . . just passing the info on). Here's the link (if it doesn't work, just do a search for "Porsche 997 center console"):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-OEM-...b5d10c&vxp=mtr

Since your car is a 2011, I believe it has the same console as all the 997.1 cars (this should fit, but I would double check part numbers just to be sure). I also noticed the auction is for a convertible console since it has the roof switch. However you can remove the switch and plug it with a switch blank (in body color). This blank can be ordered directly from Porsche for around $5. I would also double check to see if this auction includes the small extension cubby hole in the back (behind the map case lid). If not, your options are to purchase a white one from a dealer, attach your original blue one to your new white console, or have your original one painted to match. BTW, that small cubby hole compartment is what extends the center console in the 911's (the Boxsters and Caymans use the same console, but don't need the extension since they don't have rear seats).

Purchasing a factory painted console may be your best option if you are interested in keeping all of the original parts with your car. However if you don't care, then Bumper Plugs is a good way to go for refinishing your existing console. They apparently do outstanding work and come highly recommended by many on the Porsche forums. However I have no idea what they charge, but I'm assuming you should be able to save a few bucks.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:37 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We can provide non core exchange items as well.

Our 19 stage finish is unmatched - no one does it this way. It's too costly, too time consuming. But of course, you have options.

Door Trim is always OEM, non core, because those pieces cannot be saved when removed.

Door Levers, on the other hand, can be core exchange if desired.

Not all consoles are the same. Be careful.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:02 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,141 Likes on 3,914 Posts
Default Door Spears

I disagree on the Door Spear pieces not being able to be reused as I've done 3 sets of these from panel to panel. Here's how you do it

Use a soldering iron to melt he plastic very carefully just to the point of freeing that one rivet and don't go too deep, then move on to the next rivet the same way until you've freed the complete door spear.
Now you want to get one of those really sharp cutters that holds a razor blade against a plastic anvil (Kobalt, Craftsman, etc) and clip off each of those hollow plastic posts just below the length where you had to melt it to get it out of the door panel.
Next, take a drill bit that is smaller than the inner diameter of the plastic tubes that originally get melted to hold the door spear to the door and drill nice clean holes down the center of the tubes being very careful not to go too deep.
These old ones are now ready to be refit into a different door panel and you secure them from the backside of the panel using short strews that are the right diameter to thread into the inside of the plastic tubes where the welds used. to be.
This method actually produces better results than melting in brand new long post door spears, as I've done it both ways. The screw method also lets you adjust the pressure at all the attachment points for the door spear to make sure it's flush with the panel. You can tighten or loosen each screw to get the perfect fit.
I then take some thin adhesive backed rubber or foam weatherstripping (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc) and put a small piece on top of each metal screw head so there is no chance the metal screw will rattle against the metal door on the backside of the panel. Now reinstall your door panels.
Have a few spare door panel clips on-hand before starting the job as even with proper door panel pulling tools, some of the clips may break and it's nice to be able to put it back together properly to finish the job in one shot.

Here are some pics of what it looks like when you're done before installing the insulation material on top of the screw heads. These Aluminum Look Door Spears were out of a different set of door panels than the alcantara ones shown in the photos.

By the way, if anyone is interested in purchasing this pair of gorgeous black leather, black alcantara, & aluminum look trim panels, this pair is actually for sale and I have an OEM Aluminum look complete center console with the matching ashtray and matching rear extension piece (only in the Coupes) to go along with it which is in excellent condition. The ad is in the Marketplace or you can PM me your e-mail address and I'll send additional photos.

Thanks.
Attached Images      
Old 04-01-2014, 07:32 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yes, technically you 'can' reuse them, but they are ruined from the melting on the backside. And they are not that expensive a part, so we always do them as new, OEM replacements.

Most folks prefer this route, and it takes a bit less stress worrying about damage to the removed pieces too.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:01 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

I have done this twice myself, once on my own car, and once on a friend's car. Skip the screws and drilled holes. If you use a narrow enough soldering iron, enter the plastic rivet/puck at dead center, and pull away the spear as you go so that you melt as little plastic as possible, you can re-melt that plastic the next time you adhere it to a door panel. There's plenty of extra material on those plastic weld thingymajiggers to do the job confidently. The secret is in how carefully you melt the original welds.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:42 PM
gwinder
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for the input. I did see the listing on ebay. Same price as having Eric paint them and I'm his work is better than a factory painted one. Anyone got opinions on doing the leather wrap? Same price from Classic9

Gary

Quick Reply: Center Console Paint Job