Sponsored by:

Cheap, Easy Hardwired Bluetooth Integration for 997.1 PCM

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 11:23 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Cheap, Easy Hardwired Bluetooth Integration for 997.1 PCM

I got THIS for my 997.1. $150, easy install (no need to have the MOST reprogrammed). Paired instantly, connects every time I put the key in the ignition.

It does utilize an FM frequency but IT IS NOT AN FM TRANSMITTER!!!! IT IS SPLICED INTO THE ANTENNA LINE AND FEEDS DIRECTLY INTO THE RADIO! Mine is set on a frequency with a powerful radio station associated (almost impossible to find one here that isn't), and it is absolutely silent in between calls. The sound quality is BRILLIANT. No static, no fading, no interference. Nada, none. And I am in a very populated area with no clear frequencies. An FM transmitter never worked well here.

The caller ID and music info display on the PCM screen, and there is one button that is used for answering calls and also changing up to the next song when streaming (works on apps like Spotify and Pandora too). But the best thing is it has full integration with voice command, so I can use Siri to make calls, texts, get directions, whatever. The link has a video on it that shows how it works. Hope this helps someone.

Again, there is FULL sound quality (I've got the Bose), and NO interference from radio stations. This is NOT like one of those FM transmitters. I had one of those (Jabra Freeway) so I know the difference.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:03 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
I got THIS for my 997.1. $150, easy install (no need to have the MOST reprogrammed). Paired instantly, connects every time I put the key in the ignition. It does utilize an FM frequency but IT IS NOT AN FM TRANSMITTER!!!! IT IS SPLICED INTO THE ANTENNA LINE AND FEEDS DIRECTLY INTO THE RADIO! Mine is set on a frequency with a powerful radio station associated (almost impossible to find one here that isn't), and it is absolutely silent in between calls. The sound quality is BRILLIANT. No static, no fading, no interference. Nada, none. And I am in a very populated area with no clear frequencies. An FM transmitter never worked well here. The caller ID and music info display on the PCM screen, and there is one button that is used for answering calls and also changing up to the next song when streaming (works on apps like Spotify and Pandora too). But the best thing is it has full integration with voice command, so I can use Siri to make calls, texts, get directions, whatever. The link has a video on it that shows how it works. Hope this helps someone. Again, there is FULL sound quality (I've got the Bose), and NO interference from radio stations. This is NOT like one of those FM transmitters. I had one of those (Jabra Freeway) so I know the difference.
Is there a working link ?! (Perhaps I can't see it on my phone app)
Old 03-30-2014, 12:13 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah..who makes it? Lots of good comments, but who are you talking about?
Old 03-30-2014, 12:22 PM
murdog
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Click on the word "THIS" in the first sentence.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:41 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Looks nice. May have to give it a shot.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:05 PM
bankerII
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting this. Where did you mount the mic?
Old 03-30-2014, 01:46 PM
evoq007
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

How does it get wired in?

I might have to get one of these!!
Old 03-30-2014, 03:39 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

ben, a few questions+insights;

- hard-wiring into the the antenna is simple; yet brilliant. it's the only direct analog connection in this (imo over-convoluted) system.
- you can still have good reception from fm radio correct? this method doesnt add your phone audio at the expense of cutting off the fm/am radio antenna does it? EDIT - nevermind i watched the video you can go back to factory FM without issue.
- is this the exact item/model number that you use? i want to make sure since the item is roughly $80 ISFM2351

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iSIMPLE-ISFM...item27da1e2a81

thank you ben!!!

ps. what are the chances you took any photos of this process

Last edited by myw; 03-30-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:00 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

install instructions...

https://vimeo.com/73425755

personally i would mount it on the steering column.

Originally Posted by bankerII
Thanks for posting this. Where did you mount the mic?
Old 03-30-2014, 04:27 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

I purchased the Tranzit system over the winter and was planning on installing it in my car this week actually.

I also bought this to tap into the antenna since the one the Tranzit comes with a Motorola antenna connector: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/BAA2223.html

I'm curious to hear how the OP spliced the antenna and what he used to power the unit.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:32 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

thank you sooo much for this; this was my next question.

i'm guessing perhaps the OP had a spare standard issue antenna connector from another car in which he spliced the connections.

Originally Posted by ilko
I also bought this to tap into the antenna since the one the Tranzit comes with a Motorola antenna connector: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/BAA2223.html
Old 03-30-2014, 04:56 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

Splicing antennae properly is not the easiest thing to do. If you don't do it JUST right you get interference, or nothing at all. That's why I bought the adapter.

I also purchased this: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/PAH-1784.html

Want to wire in the Tranzit so that it turns on with the ignition and doesn't stay on all the time. I'm not sure that particular harness will work in my case, but got it just in case.

I have the Tranzit BLU in my 993: https://www.isimplesolutions.com/product.aspx?zpid=543 and it is a great product but with that car I elected to run it directly through the AUX port of the CDR-220. I also don't need the phone feature because the 993 is too damn loud.

I still can't believe Porsche didn't install AUX port on the PCM 2.1. Ridiculous!
Old 03-30-2014, 05:36 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, an adaptor cable is used for the Motorola antenna connector to PCM connector. I have the mic under the instrument cluster cowl, in the nook between the top of the analog speedo and tach, with the wire run over the top of the analog speedo, around the left side, under it, over the trip odo reset stalk, and then out and down into where the steering column is. About 1/2" of the black wire shows there. When I have the chance I might paint it to match the dash color, but it really doesn't bother me as is. It was simpler to put it there than use the somewhat ugly (to me) clip on the windshield header. Feeding a wire into the A pillar is a PITA without removing the trim piece, and mine is a coupe and that piece runs all the way back to the B pillar. The wire refused to stay in the crevice between the A pillar trim and windshield. The only drawback to where I put the mic is it picks up the sound of the turn signal a bit too well But it is well-sheilded from wind noise. People I talked to on the phone say the sound is great.

As to wiring it, on the radio harness there is a thin off-white wire that is only hot when the key is in the ignition. (There is also a red always-hot wire, which I didn't use). There is a slight (15-20 sec) delay. The brown wire is ground. Suggest to shave a bit of insulation, wrap the ends of the Tranzit wires around and solder, then tape them. Not sure if every car has the same color coding, that's just what mine was.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:11 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

any photos ben? also where did you put that 'phone button'. i'll likely drill into the lower centre console where the 'airbag sensor' indicator normally is for 2006+ cars. my car being an '05 doesnt have that.

anyways thank you guys; will order tonight.

Originally Posted by Ben Z
Yes, an adaptor cable is used for the Motorola antenna connector to PCM connector. I have the mic under the instrument cluster cowl, in the nook between the top of the analog speedo and tach, with the wire run over the top of the analog speedo, around the left side, under it, over the trip odo reset stalk, and then out and down into where the steering column is. About 1/2" of the black wire shows there. When I have the chance I might paint it to match the dash color, but it really doesn't bother me as is. It was simpler to put it there than use the somewhat ugly (to me) clip on the windshield header. Feeding a wire into the A pillar is a PITA without removing the trim piece, and mine is a coupe and that piece runs all the way back to the B pillar. The wire refused to stay in the crevice between the A pillar trim and windshield. The only drawback to where I put the mic is it picks up the sound of the turn signal a bit too well But it is well-sheilded from wind noise. People I talked to on the phone say the sound is great.

As to wiring it, on the radio harness there is a thin off-white wire that is only hot when the key is in the ignition. (There is also a red always-hot wire, which I didn't use). There is a slight (15-20 sec) delay. The brown wire is ground. Suggest to shave a bit of insulation, wrap the ends of the Tranzit wires around and solder, then tape them. Not sure if every car has the same color coding, that's just what mine was.

Last edited by myw; 03-30-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:00 PM
rvf
Cruisin'

Are you able to manually select on your phone what songs to play and pandora etc. while paired with unit instead of having to do it with voice commands? I think I have some version of iPhone 4 and there's no VR.

Quick Reply: Cheap, Easy Hardwired Bluetooth Integration for 997.1 PCM