Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slightly OT...tips on Daytona 24?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 08:57 PM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Slightly OT...tips on Daytona 24?

Headed to Daytona Wed. night through Sun to see the action. We were lucky enough to be comped "all access" passes...whatever that means. We got this together too late get any infield parking. So....

1. Is there ANY chance of scoring an infield pass once we get there? Scalpers or otherwise?

2. How big of a deal is it if we aren't parking on the infield? Our options are Lot 3 (looks like a shuttle to the rink) or some kind of preferred parking up near the main entrance (start/finish side). I've only been to Daytona once before for the 500...so no clue. I do know that at these road races the infield is obviously where it's at, nobody really sits in the bleachers. I also know that a close parking spot might also be cause for a LOT of walking vs. taking a shuttle from a lot that might drop us in the infield?

Anyway, we'll be there for a few days, so hope we can finagle something with better infield parking. We plan on coming and going on Thurs & Fri some too.

Any other tips or tricks or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 01-20-2014, 09:22 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The 24 Hours is awesome. The crowds will be tiny compared to the 500 but they will all be track junkies. You should have no problems walking in the infield or the garage areas.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:49 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Thanks jkw, ya we have infield passes and access to everything on FOOT. I just was wondering how big a deal it is to not be PARKING on the infield...lot easier to bring cooler, jackets, etc.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:30 AM
MW356
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually on Friday the infield parking isnt that bad. On Saturday get there early for infield parking becuase it fills up quick. And when it starts getting full be prepared to sit in the infield traffic jams for awhile. The other option is to park outfiled around turn 4 (I think) then walk through the tunnel. But that is a good hike. Have fun.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:36 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Ya, at the Kansas Grand Am race this year, we had the same deal...great tix and parking for a NASCAR race...parked VIP right up front. But that translated into a hell of a long walk to the infield. Where the others we met up with parked satellite and got a shuttle to the infield. That's why I'm curious about the outfield parking if we end up with. I think the plan is to head over on Thursday and get all our passes and such and scope it out.

Thanks for the input!!
Old 01-21-2014, 12:59 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ear Protection! I never would have guessed it cuz I love the sound track at races as much as the next guy, but after starting in the infield (and noticing that we were sort of the exceptions to the rule NOT having ear muffs or plugs) we moved to the grandstand. Wow! the noise was really tough! I made it about an hour in the stands and had to move. If I were there for the long haul, I would have had to buy some.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:56 PM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Okay thanks! I didn't feel the need for it at the Grand Am race we went to, but it was loud. I imagine acoustics are different everywhere. The loudest, most annoying car was a Miata of all things... high pitched and just like nails on a chalkboard awful.

Originally Posted by McCulla
Ear Protection! I never would have guessed it cuz I love the sound track at races as much as the next guy, but after starting in the infield (and noticing that we were sort of the exceptions to the rule NOT having ear muffs or plugs) we moved to the grandstand. Wow! the noise was really tough! I made it about an hour in the stands and had to move. If I were there for the long haul, I would have had to buy some.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:27 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wheeler, there are some nice vantage points in the infield for watching corner ingress/egress with the engine notes and car behavior that happen there. Switch locations whenever the view starts to get monotonous. By the way, last time I was there I saw a red Veyron (custom rear valance, frenched lights, etc--garish!) with the license tag "MTV" on it, while driving into the track. There is always good car sighting.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:46 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

You can take a shuttle from the outside. Most of the time you're roaming around or sitting in one of the infield general admission stands.
Ear plugs a must.
We had a blast at the 24 last year. Hope you have good weather
Old 01-21-2014, 07:40 PM
PBenz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wheeler - be sure to stop by the PCA tent and say hello & grab some free water. I'll be there representing the Suncoast PCA from noon - 4 on Sat (except for the race start, I hope!) along with others from our region. All Porsche owners, PCA members or not, are welcome. The tent will be manned by different regions from noon on Fri - 4pm on Sun.

I 2nd the earplugs requirement. WAY louder in the stands than I thought it would be last year.

I had no trouble parking in the outside parking lot and then walking a bit to the grandstand and to the shuttle to take you to the infield.

Have fun! I am really looking forward to this race.

-- Paul
Old 01-22-2014, 09:05 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Awesome, ya we will definitely stop by! And I'll grab some ear plugs.

-Scott
Old 01-22-2014, 10:59 AM
MW356
5th Gear

Also if your tickets allow you to got into the hot pits durning the race you need to wear long pants. I made the mistake of wearing shorts one year and they wouldnt let me in. +3 on the ear plugs as well.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:58 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MW356
Also if your tickets allow you to got into the hot pits durning the race you need to wear long pants. I made the mistake of wearing shorts one year and they wouldnt let me in. +3 on the ear plugs as well.
Damn...okay. So much for the kilt, body paint and rainbow wig!

Seriously, thanks for that tip. Looks like temps will be cooler but would certainly be tempted to wear shorts if it's 60. I guess we'll find out when we get our stuff tomorrow what kind of access we have.

What kind of ear plugs? Just any cheap foam ones or is there a better alternative.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:53 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wheeler
Headed to Daytona Wed. night through Sun to see the action. We were lucky enough to be comped "all access" passes...whatever that means. We got this together too late get any infield parking. So....

1. Is there ANY chance of scoring an infield pass once we get there? Scalpers or otherwise?

2. How big of a deal is it if we aren't parking on the infield? Our options are Lot 3 (looks like a shuttle to the rink) or some kind of preferred parking up near the main entrance (start/finish side). I've only been to Daytona once before for the 500...so no clue. I do know that at these road races the infield is obviously where it's at, nobody really sits in the bleachers. I also know that a close parking spot might also be cause for a LOT of walking vs. taking a shuttle from a lot that might drop us in the infield?

Anyway, we'll be there for a few days, so hope we can finagle something with better infield parking. We plan on coming and going on Thurs & Fri some too.

Any other tips or tricks or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Contact Don Kitch of/with TeamSeattle(.com), he might be able to help.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:13 PM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wwest
Contact Don Kitch of/with TeamSeattle(.com), he might be able to help.
Thank you so much!!

Quick Reply: Slightly OT...tips on Daytona 24?