Sponsored by:

997.1 Phones...exact SIM Card, module check, etc

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Linwoodc3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.1 Phones...exact SIM Card, module check, etc

So after 6 months of laborious searching, I have my 997.1. 2008 Macadamia Metallic (it's brown..I nicknamed her Poo) on Sand Biege with 19 inch sports. Sadly, I'm on a plane right now...so no pics. But, I'm 8 days and 400 miles into ownership.

Anyways, I need to check if I have the phone module. When I put the new T-mobile SIM card in, I get a message "SiM CARD NOT READY". When I hit "set" in the "TEL" menu, all other options are greyed out but "Phone On" is available. When I hit the button to turn it on, the PCM flashes to the "PIN" screen, then returns to the "Phone on" selection screen.

I guess I need to know two things. Do I have the option #666? I have the microphone in the area near the driver side vanity mirror/sun visor. Some people can do VIN checks and see right? (I saw That offer in Older PCM phone module question threads...ppn porsche website).

If so, what is the exact type if SIM card I need...I know GSM ( T-Mobile or AT&T), but I need to see if its earlier generations of SIM cards. If someone has a working phone option, a picture of the actual SIM card would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Very respectfully
#LC3
Old 12-09-2013, 11:14 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Linwoodc3
So after 6 months of laborious searching, I have my 997.1. 2008 Macadamia Metallic (it's brown..I nicknamed her Poo) on Sand Biege with 19 inch sports. Sadly, I'm on a plane right now...so no pics. But, I'm 8 days and 400 miles into ownership.

Anyways, I need to check if I have the phone module. When I put the new T-mobile SIM card in, I get a message "SiM CARD NOT READY". When I hit "set" in the "TEL" menu, all other options are greyed out but "Phone On" is available. When I hit the button to turn it on, the PCM flashes to the "PIN" screen, then returns to the "Phone on" selection screen.

I guess I need to know two things. Do I have the option #666? I have the microphone in the area near the driver side vanity mirror/sun visor. Some people can do VIN checks and see right? (I saw That offer in Older PCM phone module question threads...ppn porsche website).

If so, what is the exact type if SIM card I need...I know GSM ( T-Mobile or AT&T), but I need to see if its earlier generations of SIM cards. If someone has a working phone option, a picture of the actual SIM card would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Very respectfully
#LC3
The important thing is to find out if you have the option...if not, forget about the type of SIM card. I bought a prepaid SIM card at Best Buy and used it with mine so it's just a regular size SIM card, not the mini that you find in some phones now.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Linwoodc3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
The important thing is to find out if you have the option...if not, forget about the type of SIM card. I bought a prepaid SIM card at Best Buy and used it with mine so it's just a regular size SIM card, not the mini that you find in some phones now.
Exactly, which is why I'm hoping someone can do a VIN check thingie and tell me. Or, can I just call a dealer? I'd like to know if I have that 666 option before even spending the 6-7 bucks on a SIM...yea..I'm that frugal.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Porsche never put a microphone near the driver side vanity mirror/sun visor. You may have an aftermarket system like the Tooki in there, however.

The Porsche OEM microphone for the telephone has always been in the enclosure between the steering wheel and the gauge cluster--look at the two 'vent-like' openings.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Linwoodc3
Intermediate

Thabks for replies all. Is there a specific PCM option I can check for? I see this microphone but still don't know.

How do I find out if I have it?
Old 12-09-2013, 10:12 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Linwoodc3
Thabks for replies all. Is there a specific PCM option I can check for? I see this microphone but still don't know.

How do I find out if I have it?
Either confirm the option code or insert an unlocked SIM card and see if it works. You might have to spend $10.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/prepaid-wireless-sim-card/9646907.p;jsessionid=C4F43F89ACF5A4F178724C8983A975A6.bbolsp-app04-132?id=1218138638814&skuId=9646907&st=categoryid$pcmcat265100050014&cp=1 &lp=2

Last edited by jhbrennan; 12-10-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

You ultimately do not want the factory 666 option. When Porsche AG developed that option it was based upon a knowledge of European telecommunications methods. They didn't know that in the USA (their largest market) that people do not ordinarily have an additional SIM card produced which they can leave in their car all the time. (Can you imagine after getting in your car, adjusting your seatbelt, taking out your cell phone, opening the back of it, and removing the SIM card which you can then put into the slot on the face of the PCM system? And then you have to reverse that procedure when you get out of your Porsche).
Old 11-02-2014, 05:23 PM
Ross Golden
1st Gear

One phone SIM card that I know for sure it works on Porsche's integrated phone is T-Mobile. I have tried Verizon and AT&T SIM cards but to no avail. I tested a T-Mobile SIM card and it worked! Make sure to use the standard SIM card.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:15 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,246 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Porsche never put a microphone near the driver side vanity mirror/sun visor. You may have an aftermarket system like the Tooki in there, however.

The Porsche OEM microphone for the telephone has always been in the enclosure between the steering wheel and the gauge cluster--look at the two 'vent-like' openings.
Exactly.

Your 996 is the same color combination as mine. You'll love it!

I had a Mobridge M2 Pro installed in my 997. It's a fantastic solution that integrates with the PCM 2.1 unit. It requires a mic like the one you mentioned. It also provides wireless music streaming from my iPhone.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:42 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Exactly.

Your 996 is the same color combination as mine. You'll love it!

I had a Mobridge M2 Pro installed in my 997. It's a fantastic solution that integrates with the PCM 2.1 unit. It requires a mic like the one you mentioned. It also provides wireless music streaming from my iPhone.
It was a 997...and he hasn't posted since 12/2013 so he either lost interest or had his question answered. Agree though that the brown is a great color.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:15 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,246 Likes on 782 Posts

Right. Typo... I saw that it was a 997. I didn't see the date of the post!

Quick Reply: 997.1 Phones...exact SIM Card, module check, etc