Sponsored by:

Oil lever measurement wrong

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 06:20 PM
997sxv
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil lever measurement wrong

I just changed the oil yesterday in my 05 997. I put in 7 quarts as I always leave some extra room to add the remaining quart after the engine is warmed up never knowing how much oil is left in the system. I checked the oil level prior to starting and it registered as expected 3/4 full after I warmed it up and checked it again it measures at the bottom of the chart. No leaks, pressure is good. I've looked all over for a reset feature and can't find one. Is there a way to reset the oil level imdicator? It has never done this before after an oil change. Any ideas
Old 11-02-2013, 07:48 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

you have to run the engine a long time to get the right measure. read the owners manual, add exactly what the capacity is , is it 7.9 or some amount qts,
then drive the car a while and check it later
Old 11-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With a fliter change that's about 1 1/2 qts low. Without filter change about 1 qt low ( My estimate based on prefilling the oil filter casing before reinstalling it. I always change filter with the oil). Full oil and filter change requires very close to 9 qts to bring the oil up to the full or max level. The reading you're getting seems about right to me.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just remember the full to the top reading is not what you should be aiming for. Thats like filling to the very top of the old wide dipstick notch.. its the max you should put in. Better is just below that max.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:12 PM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dadio
With a fliter change that's about 1 1/2 qts low.
X2 Last oil/filter change I did took just under 8.5 quarts.

The dip stick measurement only covers a range of 1.2 liters, about 1.25 qts, so it sounds like the current reading of showing at the bottom is correct. Add half a quart and try again. I really wouldn't take much notice of the level directly after an oil change and prior to starting.

Quick Reply: Oil lever measurement wrong