Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Sincere Thank You to Porsche! They replaced my PDK for free.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 09:18 PM
uffrank
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Sincere Thank You to Porsche! They replaced my PDK for free.

I purchased a '09 911 S Cab w/ PDK 19k miles (out of factory warranty) about 6 weeks ago. I began to notice a noise when changing from 4th to 5th gear. It rarely happened and only when changing into 5th.

I took it to my local Dealer (Reeves Porsche in Tampa) and tried to recreate the noise with the Shop manager along for a ride. After 15 minutes I was able to recreate the sound. He thought it was probably the PDK change into 5th that was landing on a rounded gear and making the noise. They ran some tests and updated the software and the problem did not go away.

I left thinking it was going to have to live with it, or pay for a new PDK (ouch!). My service advisor Matt told me they would reach out to Porsche and let them know the problem I was having and maybe they would help out. I felt like it was a long shot. It is my first Porsche vehicle and it is out of warranty. After hearing about the problems with the IMS failures on the 996 cars I felt like I was probably out of luck.

The dealer called me a few days later and asked me to bring the car in again because Porsche wants to have them run some tests on the fluids and we will go from there. I said OK and scheduled an appointment to bring it in this Monday morning. They gave me a loaner and said they would let me know.

I got a call that evening letting me know the PDK would have to be replaced to have the car fixed. I was bummed, but he said they would reach out to Stuttgart overnight and ask how to proceed. I kept my fingers crossed, and to my surprise the next day the said they would replace the PDK for FREE.

After a few days to have it shipped and swapped out, I got my car back today (Friday), and it drives better than ever.

I know some people have had bad experiences in the past, but I am extremely impressed with the way Porsche, Reeves of Tampa, and my Advisor Matt handled the situation.

I am thrilled more than ever to be a Porsche owner, after a lifetime of being a Porsche fan! A sincere thank you from me and my family, and I know why so many people strive to own these cars, they are simply the best.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:51 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

WOW. kudos, its stories + experiences like this that will help to ensure the brand thrives and we keep coming back. congrats
Old 11-01-2013, 10:22 PM
gsdpic
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice to hear (I just had to respond to keep the cobalt blue theme going....tho I guess your '09 is probably aqua blue).
Old 11-01-2013, 11:35 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 444 Likes on 257 Posts

Wow, go out and play the lottery.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

Yeah for the blues! (Lapis here)

Great to hear the customer support story. Usually the ones posted here are from when people don't get assistance/service.

Enjoy the car, sound like a beaut!!!
Old 11-01-2013, 11:54 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

It's always nice to hear a good tale such as this. That effort may earn themselves a Porsche fan for many years!
Old 11-02-2013, 12:38 AM
NephroC4S
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Great story ending and congrats on the sweet new ride!
Old 11-02-2013, 12:45 AM
Rob Heath
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool!

Old 11-02-2013, 02:56 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
It's always nice to hear a good tale such as this. That effort may earn themselves a Porsche fan for many years!
+1
Old 11-02-2013, 08:46 AM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Porsche
Old 11-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Glad to hear, standing behind their product.

I wonder what the cost would be to replace a PDK transmission. Also is this common?
Old 11-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I really want to believe that PCNA/PAG/VWAG stepped up and did the right thing - the problems is that I just can't get past all of the stories about PCNA refusing covereage, not to mention the whole RMS/IMS stonewalling and subsequent lawsuit. That said, a friend of mine who sells Porsche's told me that when the PDK was first introduced it had some introductory "issues", as you'd expect with such new technology. Porsche, pushing the new transmission, took care of the problems immediately and with as little fanfare as possible. The OP's car is 2009 and it's entirely possible that whatever the root cause of the PDK problem was, it fell underneath the umbrella of Porsche fixing it as it was a known issue for several years. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't expect PCNA to do anything out of the goodness of their collective hearts.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:48 PM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

...and it's hard to see much goodwill in fixing a tranny that failed at 19k miles. I would like to think they're learning from how badly the IMS issue has been handled.

I'm glad to hear that they did, but obviously they haven't worked the bugs out of PDK yet.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:13 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Great story! Thanks for sharing. We usually hear about the negatives on forums so its nice to hear something positive.

+1 to Porsche, Reeves of Tampa, and Advisor Matt
Old 11-02-2013, 02:33 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by uffrank
I purchased a '09 911 S Cab w/ PDK 19k miles (out of factory warranty) about 6 weeks ago. I began to notice a noise when changing from 4th to 5th gear. It rarely happened and only when changing into 5th.

I took it to my local Dealer (Reeves Porsche in Tampa) and tried to recreate the noise with the Shop manager along for a ride. After 15 minutes I was able to recreate the sound. He thought it was probably the PDK change into 5th that was landing on a rounded gear and making the noise. They ran some tests and updated the software and the problem did not go away.

I left thinking it was going to have to live with it, or pay for a new PDK (ouch!). My service advisor Matt told me they would reach out to Porsche and let them know the problem I was having and maybe they would help out. I felt like it was a long shot. It is my first Porsche vehicle and it is out of warranty. After hearing about the problems with the IMS failures on the 996 cars I felt like I was probably out of luck.

The dealer called me a few days later and asked me to bring the car in again because Porsche wants to have them run some tests on the fluids and we will go from there. I said OK and scheduled an appointment to bring it in this Monday morning. They gave me a loaner and said they would let me know.

I got a call that evening letting me know the PDK would have to be replaced to have the car fixed. I was bummed, but he said they would reach out to Stuttgart overnight and ask how to proceed. I kept my fingers crossed, and to my surprise the next day the said they would replace the PDK for FREE.

After a few days to have it shipped and swapped out, I got my car back today (Friday), and it drives better than ever.

I know some people have had bad experiences in the past, but I am extremely impressed with the way Porsche, Reeves of Tampa, and my Advisor Matt handled the situation.

I am thrilled more than ever to be a Porsche owner, after a lifetime of being a Porsche fan! A sincere thank you from me and my family, and I know why so many people strive to own these cars, they are simply the best.
That's one story with a happy ending...I had something similar with Cherry Hill Imports regarding my faulty sunroof. All's well that ends well, and I appreciate and will continue to utilize their service.

Quick Reply: A Sincere Thank You to Porsche! They replaced my PDK for free.