Sponsored by:

Home-made jack pad

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 01:59 PM
WindyCityC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Home-made jack pad

I responded under a for sale add for a guy selling the aluminum jack pad/plug/whatever it is called.--It was after he sold his, so I didn't cut his legs out. It got some decent responses, so I thought I would post it here if anyone was interested....
Confession...I am a bit cheap, and I really like to tinker. So I will try to make stuff over buying it. This was a prime example.

A quick walk thru of my process…
1. I placed the puck (without modifications) under the frame where the hole is and then jacked up the car with the puck between the jack and the frame. The hole in the frame left an impression on the puck. No need for measuring. Tape can hold the puck centered while you mess with the jack.
2. I have a drill press, so this is easier. I drilled small holes (~1/8” bit) around the outline of the hole about half way thru the puck. Smaller bits will mean less smoothing later, but more drilling. Your call.
3. I used a coping saw to cut in from the side of the puck to the ring of holes. I was able to remove the top half of the puck, while leaving the “center post”
4. I used my bench-top belt sander to smooth out the center post and ensure it fit into the frame.
5. I was bored and I am bit peculiar with stuff, so I used the sander to smooth the new face around the center post. This is totally optional.
6. I used the coping saw to undercut the center post to create the lip for the post the stay in the frame after the 1/4 turn.
7. Test fit and done.
Note for step 3…My prototype was made by drilling a multitude of holes around the center post (ie. Swiss cheese) and cut the material away with a utility knife. This was NOT safe so I went to the coping saw. If you don’t have a coping saw, this is an option but a dangerous one. In both photos, you can see the very bottom of the “shaping holes” next to the center post.

A bench vice is a necessity for holding puck during cutting.

(turn on lawyer)..Some of the activities could lead to personal injury. Use all measures possible to ensure safety. If you are not comfortable with some of the steps, you cannot do them safely or you do not own the tools required, then don't do this. (lawyer off)

I like the idea of the aluminum posts and almost bought them from eBay. But I like to tinker and figured I would try this. If they did not work, I was going to eBay and buying them. Just remember to remove them when done. The black puck is harder to see than bare aluminum. An orange puck (Go ILLINI) would have been cool, but I had black ones in the garage.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:01 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

cool!

After I lost my AL version, I went w/ cheaper hockey pucks. I just drilled in a eye bolt.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:28 PM
WindyCityC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Even easier. Mine took ~8 minutes each, yours sounds like it took 30 seconds...
Old 10-24-2013, 05:48 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
cool!

After I lost my AL version, I went w/ cheaper hockey pucks. I just drilled in a eye bolt.
brillian!
Old 10-24-2013, 05:53 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Now if the dealerships were only as careful as us when lifting our cars !
Old 10-24-2013, 11:43 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

I actually had to cut a couple of pucks in half so they could fit on certain lifts at the dealership. They know where they are kept in the trunk when the car goes in.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:52 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

The techs at my dealership have pucks.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

They'd look better if you sprayed them with WD-40.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:07 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
cool!

I already have the aluminum pucks but this is brilliant!
Old 10-25-2013, 03:07 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
They'd look better if you sprayed them with WD-40.
yet another use for this stuff! it will make your pucks last just as long as your leather seats

Old 10-25-2013, 09:44 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Good idea!

Quick Reply: Home-made jack pad