Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WD40 & leather seats

Old 10-21-2013, 10:27 PM
rvp325carrera
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wc11
I can't believe there's a thread on using WD40 on your car seats. But if your good with it, I guess my questions are then would you use WD40..... - on your leather sofa - on your leather shoes - on your leather jacket - on your leather ball glove - on all your leather objects etc. etc. etc. If yes, then have at it.
Yes: several thousand $$ Restoration Hardware sofa. Sparingly, followed by Lexol. Softened it up.

Yes: but on older shoes. Not my newest pairs.

N/A. No leather jacket.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:23 AM
sixgun95
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
guys, the first thing you need to understand is what type of leather you have.

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...s-leather.html

This has all the impact in the world on what products will do what. Spending a lot of time conditioning protected leather is generally a waste. In fact, keeping it clean with a damp microfiber is probably all it needs to live a long life.

Furthermore, leather should not be shiny.

As to the porsche products, they are simply rebranded stuff from one of the major manufacturers. Figure out which one (shouldn't be hard through google) and you can avoid the asinine porsche tax.

As for wd-40...why? There are so many good cleaners/conditioners out there, there is simply no point to use it.

I also would not use saddle soap...no need for it. lexol cleaner does the job just fine.
So which type is in our 997's?
Old 10-22-2013, 11:10 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

From my Googling last night, it appears that the natural leather option is vat-dyed aniline leather and that the standard leather is coated. Since no one has been able to answer that question, that's what I'm going with for now.

Interesting side note. There is a local upholstery shop that I have been dealing with for twenty five years. I swung by yesterday to pick up some sun shades I'd had them make and the lady who owns the shop came out to look at my 997. The put her hand on the passenger headrest and commented that the leather was particularly nice and of a high quality.

I thought that was high praise coming from someone who deals with hides all day.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Iceter
Drifting

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...l-leather.html

The word from PCNA.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:08 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 141 Likes on 110 Posts

If it was really good, it would be at the dealer, with a $8o price tag per can.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:31 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
If it was really good, it would be at the dealer, with a $8o price tag per can.
Come on now...You know you cant purchase anything from a Porsche dealer for under $100
Old 10-22-2013, 04:10 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is it possible that the WD is eating away at the coating???
Old 10-23-2013, 12:03 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

This is turning into an epic thread. I thought that there would be one response and then it's dead. I had one older leather worker/designer remind me that leather is skin- treat it almost like you would your own skin. The best leather treatments almost seem like heavy skin lotions (saddle soap, mink oil, eucerin) and skin treatments (lexol, neutrogena facewashes).

My car has semi-aniline dyed leather in the front seats and door arm rests. The rear seat bottoms are protectected/pigmented/corrected-grain leather (my back seat uppers are in storage so i don't know what they are but I suspect the same). Corrected grain means that it has that "cracked" texture- that's not natural, it's put on with rollers at a factory. Have you ever seen a cow with that texture? If it's got corrected grain it's almost always protected(coated). If it's smooth, it's almost always aniline or semi aniline.

I've designed some leather products in the past (mostly bags, moto stuff, and some saddles). The holy grail is aniline dyed leather... but it's usually 2-10X more expensive, shows defects that the cow had, and tougher to care for.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:20 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the op said he treated the wiper blades with wd40. i have seen [pun intended] oil as a no no on a windshield. maybe he just likes the feel of his wiperblades.anyhoos....dis be one weird thread
Old 10-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Explorer7
that was very brave of you..
Is "brave" synonymous with "stupid"? So, OP can afford the car, but not $12 for a dedicated leather cleaner/softener/conditioner? Jeeez.

Oh, BTW, I just applied a nice thick coat of Vaseline over my car's entire exterior. I hear that it protects the paint from tree sap and bugs.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:28 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, BTW, I just applied a nice thick coat of Vaseline over my car's entire exterior. I hear that it protects the paint from tree sap and bugs.
Sit back and watch people try and lean on it. Hilarious.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:33 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

One of WD40's benefits is breaking rust away,I can only imagine what it does on leather... When it comes to wipers,you should use silicone spray if you want to cheap out buying new ones. Silicone works best on rubber...door seals,bushings etc.

Honestly,I do not believe anyone,OP included,that is frequenting Rennlist would ever use WD40 on leather. I strongly believe he started this thread to get some good reactions...and I can say it worked...I really had a few good laughs.

Last edited by neanicu; 10-23-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:03 PM
Iceter
Drifting

[QUOTE=997_rich;10851403]Have you ever seen a cow with that texture? If it's got corrected grain it's almost always protected(coated). If it's smooth, it's almost always aniline or semi aniline. [QUOTE]

Not sure I've ever seen a bald cow before.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:30 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

officially the funniest thread of all time on rennlist.

Originally Posted by Smitten
Instead of treating the seats directly, couldn't I just spray all my clothes, especially my suit jackets and pants, so the seats are getting a good soaking all the time?
Originally Posted by kosmo
The other nite things were getting a little hot n heavy w/ my lady. I recalled this thread and jumped out of bed and went to the garage for the WD! WOW! All i will say is that KY has got nothing on the WD!
Old 10-23-2013, 06:32 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

a very light rub via a non-too-damp micofibre towel works fine for me and keeps the leather oem matte finish.

Originally Posted by sixgun95
Zaino, Lexol, Pinnacle or just a damp rag....my preference.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WD40 & leather seats