Evap leak help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Kschles
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evap leak help!

Hey everyone.

I have a cel throwing code p0455 which is a major evap leak. I already changed the gas cap, so that is not the issue.

Can anyone help me locate the evap vent hoses and evap cannister? Any help is greatly appreciated. I want to fix this shortly!

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-02-2013, 10:52 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Check your purge valve. I don't know about Porsche,but in many cars that is the culprit if you can't find any leaks in the system. It usually makes a ticking noise after start up.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:52 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I hate evap. on my lexus it is an ongoing problem and after $400 in replaced parts I gave up. father`s Honda started doing same, 2 way valve replaced, solenoid works, system seems to be ok but shows CEL once in a month and same does lexus, may be fine for 2 months then shows this error again. absolutely hate it, it is impossible to trace down...
Old 10-03-2013, 12:22 PM
douvillier
Track Day

Take your car to a repair shop that will test for leaks with a smoke machine. The scan tool activates the purge valve and vent control valve to seal off the system and smoke is introduced thru the test port. Freeze frame data is recorded when a DTC code is set. Ensure that the EVAP leak is not set when the car is sitting. The EPA felt the test was not run enough so they mandated to run the test when the car is sitting shutdown after 30 mins or so. If you have a slightly weak battery the valves will not fully shut causing a leak. When you tighten the gas cap make sure you hear at least three clicks. Many of the components of the EVAP system are near the gas tank and therefore exposed to the elements, ensure that the powers and grounds are free of corrosion and damage. Good luck, repairing EVAP systems can be character developing and wallet deflating.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:03 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Microsoft would recommend Ctrl/Alt/Del.
Disconnect battery for an hour?
I am not I.T. nor a mechanic.
Sadly this trick works with lots of devices, including my stove.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:17 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by douvillier
Take your car to a repair shop that will test for leaks with a smoke machine. The scan tool activates the purge valve and vent control valve to seal off the system and smoke is introduced thru the test port. Freeze frame data is recorded when a DTC code is set. Ensure that the EVAP leak is not set when the car is sitting. The EPA felt the test was not run enough so they mandated to run the test when the car is sitting shutdown after 30 mins or so. If you have a slightly weak battery the valves will not fully shut causing a leak. When you tighten the gas cap make sure you hear at least three clicks. Many of the components of the EVAP system are near the gas tank and therefore exposed to the elements, ensure that the powers and grounds are free of corrosion and damage. Good luck, repairing EVAP systems can be character developing and wallet deflating.
Sound and complete advice. Mine was a short version. You should follow it! Hopefully you won't need to use a smoke machine since these cars are pretty new and shouldn't develop leaks so early,unless someone was in there. Also forgot to mention,the DME can identify a small leak from a large one. There's a different code for small leaks. Usually,cracked hoses or connections are identified as small leaks. Since you have a large leak,your best bets are gas cap or purge valve. Good luck!
Old 10-04-2013, 04:48 PM
joelpirela
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That could be:

Gas Cap
Evap Carbon Canister
Evap Purge valve (next to the TB on the engine)
Evap lines.

Most likely: Evap Purge valve (next to the TB on the engine)

Trending Topics

Old 10-04-2013, 06:03 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

did it all on lexus, no leaks, no smoke shown from lines, stupid error still occurs from time to time, hate it.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:27 PM
Kschles
Track Day

Thanks for all the help so far!
Old 11-19-2013, 10:18 PM
ebanks89
3rd Gear

I have an 08 Cayenne gts and im getting the same p0455 code ive changed the gas cap done a smoke test, and had the leak detection pump replaced, code still comes on
Old 11-20-2013, 11:45 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Might find some help here they talk about both valves.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-996-help.html
Old 08-08-2016, 01:20 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

can anyone tell me where this valve is on an 07 turbo? I changed the gas cap and is still an issue. Just had the car in for engine out service, so curious if something got screwed up during the reinstall

Quick Reply: Evap leak help!