Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil overfill and white smoke on track - anything to worry?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 11:24 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Oil overfill and white smoke on track - anything to worry?

Last couples days I did two great DE days which was a lot of fun.

After the first day, I added 3/4 quart of oil since oil level was at the bottom line. I then went up to top level (I knew we're prone to overfill).

On 2nd day, after 2 sessions, I cooled down, parked the car and everything was fine. After 30mins to start my next session I started the car and a cloud of white smoke cameout of the exhaust and continued for some time. I turned the car off , inspected the engine and right where the oil cap is, I could see some oil risidue. Car ran fine. I then called a couple of shops and both suspected oil overfill and the track temperatures caused it to get into the engine. I ran the engine for a while and the smoke quickly went away. Engine was running perfectly fine, no engine light and no funny noise.

After missing a session I ran another sessions and everything was perfect. I was just as fast, engine smooth and then drove 200 miles back home.

So, question is, what to do now? Just forget about it or do I need to do something (outside of oil change)?

Thanks
Old 09-15-2013, 12:38 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what does the oil level sensor say? R u over or not?
Old 09-15-2013, 01:31 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Not now. After adding oil I was at top line, now it's at mid line.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:53 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

You need to let the car idle for a few minutes before shutting down. You're just getting some oil in the cylinders after you shut down and the white smoke is it burning off.

I lolly gag on my cool down lap to help with this as well.

-M
Old 09-15-2013, 01:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

It is surprising to me that with the oil level at the min mark 3/4 quart was enough to bring the oil level to the max line? Maybe the new DFI engine oil level read out is different but IIRC the previous cars each line represented (approx) 1/4 quart?

My point is that if the oil level reading overreacted to the amount of oil that was added the oil level sensor could be acting up. In this case the oil level could be too high.

But barring that rather unlikely explanation (the oil level sensors are not real prone to failure... but they are not immune to it either for once in awhile one does go bad) the more likely explanation is the hard running overwhelmed the AOS and the smoking upon startup was residual oil in the intake courtesy of the overwhelmed AOS.

On the street, back to normal usage, double check the oil level in a consistent fashion to ensure the same oil level checking conditions and do this several times to ensure the system delivers consistent readings under the same conditions at each oil level check.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:33 PM
hot nikon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Macster is correct re; hash marks/oil added, I'm just wondering 1/2 quart used in some track time and a 200 mile drive home.

My 09 is pretty good about oil consumption. First 1000 miles it drank oil, now very miserly.

No more white smoke on start up, steady oil consumption, you are gtg. Don't over think it.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:04 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, I will monitor oil consumption. My car's been extremely good with oil consumption with little to no oil needed in-between fill-ups even while tracking. This time it was different and I might have added a bit too much to cause all of this, or the track condition caused the AOS to be overwhelmed.

If all is fine, I will just do add some system cleaners to the engine, and do an oil analysis and oil change to make sure all is good.

Quick Reply: Oil overfill and white smoke on track - anything to worry?