997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PASM and PSM – same on 2wd as on 4wd?

Old 09-07-2013, 11:18 AM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default PASM and PSM – same on 2wd as on 4wd?

Well, for the suspension I know the dampers and springs attach differently to different places, but it’s the damper behavior and the software (for the PASM suspension and PSM) I’m wondering about.

The reason is that I’m thinking of converting a 4wd 997.1 to 2wd. Regarding PSM, my fear is that PSM on 4wd cars is programmed to work quite differently from that on 2wd cars, and will no longer work well.

Re. PASM, I’m worried that removing the heavy 4wd hardware (and some other weight reduction steps) will make the car lighter, especially at the front – and that a suspension designed for a heavier car won’t work well on a lighter one.

So what I’m hoping to learn is that, in fact, all the software is the same, and the dampers are basically the same, after taking into consideration the different positioning.

Anyone have any insight into this?

And if the software is different, anyone know if it would be possible to switch to the 2wd software/software settings without invalidating the Porsche used car warranty? (Yeah, I know the 2wd switch would invalidate the warranty, but that can probably be reversed without being detected.)

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2013, 11:30 AM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

(Actually, if there are software differences, anyone know if it would it be a matter of erasing the old settings and saving new ones, or just a matter of choosing between many settings that are already written into the car's ECU or chip or hard drive, or whatever? On my BMW, there are various options/features a mechanic with a laptop can turn on and off, including some that aren't supposed to be available with the car. Seems to me that it MIGHT be better from a warranty standpoint to change settings than to rewrite software.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PASM and PSM – same on 2wd as on 4wd?