Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question please: Scope of IMS bearing class action settlement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:06 AM
Mitleider
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Question please: Scope of IMS bearing class action settlement?

I've been reading with interest here the details of the settlement recently reached regarding total engine failure due to faulty
IMS bearings. As he owner of a 996, 986, and now a 997.1, I was surprised to see that he scope of he settlement was limited to 2001-2005 MY models.

It's my understanding that the IMS issue spans in fact 1997-2008 MY cars.

If true, tTherefore, can anyone shed light on why the scope of he settlement covers only 2001-2005 cars? Curious
Old 07-23-2013, 09:19 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2006 and my understanding is that the 2006 and up have upgraded parts thus not included in this settlement.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:42 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

IMS was upgraded from mid-2005 build, so 2006+ are safe and some late 2005 models are also safe.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:16 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

This was posted in the other thread about the IMS settlement.

Originally Posted by BED997
I found this in the class action declaration: It sounds like what we all believed.

Discovery and investigation establishes that Porsche adopted a single row design for the IMS in 2001. The payment of warranty and goodwill claims of owners of Porsche vehicles with this design of the IMS (all Class Vehicles) spiked up to between 4% to 8% of all such Vehicles in the United States, and 4% to 10% of all Class Vehicles in California. Warranty claims for Porsche Boxster and 911 vehicles relating to IMS issues, which had different versions of the IMS, have uniformly involved claims of far less than 1% of such vehicles. Indeed, to date, Porsche has spent over $20,000,000 reimbursing customers for the parts and labor necessary to repair vehicles experiencing engine damage or failure as a result of the defective IMS shaft. (This entails approximately 3,100 claims granted under warranty or good will.)

Discovery in this matter has shown that approximately 57,929 Class Vehicles were sold in the United States, and approximately 30% of the Class Vehicles were sold in California.
According to the discovery/investigation, the other IMSBs used in '97-00 & late '05-08 engines have had far less than 1% failures.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:07 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that that is (nearly) settled we need a class action suit about the faulty alternator cables in these cars.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:20 AM
Mitleider
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you all for your analysis, insightful!
These data seem to run contrary to the straw poll here which indicate ~7% failure rate for all 997s.
I thnk what's most offensive is that it took Porsche 12 years to,re-engineer the engine eliminating the IMS and its bearing, and this during years of record profits. Floating in cash Porsche put the reliability of its engines as a secondary priority. I think these decisions from leadership damaged the brand
Old 07-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitleider
Thank you all for your analysis, insightful!
These data seem to run contrary to the straw poll here which indicate ~7% failure rate for all 997s.I thnk what's most offensive is that it took Porsche 12 years to,re-engineer the engine eliminating the IMS and its bearing, and this during years of record profits. Floating in cash Porsche put the reliability of its engines as a secondary priority. I think these decisions from leadership damaged the brand
The problem with the poll is that you don't get the full picture by just looking at the percentage. If you start to track down each response, as I did earlier in the poll's life, youl'll see several folks reported failures for non-997s cars (e.g. Boxster, Cayman, 996). You'll also see that the vast majority of the failures reported on 997s were '05 models.

IMHO, the 4%-8% number given by the discovery investigation for '01-'05 engines with the smaller single row IMSB, is in line with our findings on Rennlist. If one actually tries to search for documented '06-'08 failures (as I have done) in the poll or elsewhere on Rennlist, it's a very smaill number. So the less than 1% figure given by the investigation is in line with that as well.

Quick Reply: Question please: Scope of IMS bearing class action settlement?