Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 02:35 AM
mjamfunk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling my 997.1 - suggestions please

Hey folks,

Unfortunately an injury and related medical bills force the sale of my 997.1

I intended to use the car as a DE / street combo and was slowly working my way there. I bought 2 sets of wheels/tires and spent $$ on good brake pads/rotors with extra sets of everything. No other modifications expect pedal covers and a GT3 steering wheel and shift boot/**** (alcantera).

I would love advice about the advertisement and whether to try and sell everything as 1 package or sell off wheels/tires/brakes/GT3 wheel, etc separately and sell the car in bone stock condition. Not sure it will really matter in the long run - but who knows. Oh, and of course suggestions on price would be good, too. I find owners are always pretty proud of their machines - I'm sure I'm guilty of it, too. Want to sell fast - but don't want to leave money on the table.

I created a web page here with all the pics and detailed information.

www.overground.me/porsche

Thanks in advance....

mike--
Old 06-21-2013, 07:50 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

General rule to maximize dollars is to bring back to stock and sell mods separately. Most people do not spend more money on modified cars. And some might spend less on such.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:31 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

^+1.

It's laudable that you want to be totally honest about the condition of the car and your reason for selling it. Realistically, there are people out there who will low ball you and/or nickel and dime you to death. My advice is to keep your reasons for selling to yourself, it's really not anyone's business but yours. Also, don't disclose all the known issues up front (and they don't seem like such a big deal). This is not to say you should conceal them but you may limit the number of people who may be interested up front. Put the ad out, then, when people show interest you can be forthcoming about the condition of the car. It's easier to put people's concerns at ease when you can talk to them personally. As for what the car is worth, sadly, I have no idea but best of luck to you!
Old 06-21-2013, 11:07 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Medical bills force sale = vulnerable seller inviting lowball offers. Best to keep it to yourself. Agree with others about selling the car in stock form as much as possible.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:49 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to hear about the medical bills, but hopefully your doing better now. That's a beautiful car and good luck with the sale.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:21 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
Medical bills force sale = vulnerable seller inviting lowball offers. Best to keep it to yourself. Agree with others about selling the car in stock form as much as possible.
This....

If you return to stock let me know about the steering wheel!
Old 06-21-2013, 02:36 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

All around great advice, in a nutshell:

- Bring everything to stock
- No one needs to know why you have to sell
- After a deal is agreed upon, you can offer the tire/wheels/other stuff to buyer, if not sold by then

PS. Move to Canada after, no need to worry about medical bills, as long as you pay your insurance premiums
Old 06-21-2013, 03:30 PM
mjamfunk
Intermediate

Ah very good advice indeed. Thanks to all.

best,
mike--
Old 07-04-2013, 11:46 PM
Linwoodc3
Intermediate

Mike, sorry to hear about your reason for selling. It's sad, but the good side of this is, you're doing something about it and have the means to finance the health costs.

I'm looking for a 997.1 now, and your offer looks very good. Me personally, I'm trying to get a lower mile car..because (it may sound crazy) I plan to drive my 997 for 7-8 years..like my last car. But I think you'll move this fast!

GLWS!!!
Old 07-05-2013, 01:33 AM
Renzsport
Instructor

very pretty car, I imagine you'll sell quick at that price but I'm in Canada eh. GL
Old 07-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Austex911
Track Day

If you do decide to part it out, I'd be interested in the steering wheel and the Denison unit.

Quick Reply: Selling my 997.1 - suggestions please