A.J. Merrifield
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, that's one heckuva write-up...
Old 10-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Dubbin'
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow.... that takes Diying to whole other level! Your are very well equipped sir!

Mark
Old 10-08-2013, 01:44 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wonder if this would apply to a 2005 C2 as well?
Old 10-08-2013, 02:50 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

Yes, it surely would Sam.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:31 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Excellent guide! After reading all 127 pages I decided to take the car to my Indy
Seriously, well done!
Old 04-27-2016, 11:16 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 173 Posts

Doug I inadvertently came across your pdf of the DIY on pg. 1 of this thread and I just had to say...

That is one SERIOUSLY impressive DIY. You are a valuable part of this community.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:29 PM
DocR
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Used this guide to do my water pump and thermostat this week.

Thanks so much for all the detail. Having the right tools on hand before they were needed was immensely helpful.

Mine looked to be the original pump and was in good condition. No breakdown on the fins or bearing/shaft play.

Still a relatively cheap job and one more bit of preventative maintenance ticked off.

Next up - rotors and brake fluid flush.
Old 10-08-2022, 07:20 PM
mytblue
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

OK, i know this coolant refill topic has ben covered so many times. I've read countless threads along with the WSM, gleaning a great deal of info from them, & perhaps someone can put my mind at ease about this .

2006 997 2S, 4.0L with 3rd radiator.
. Before reinstalling my new engine I drained the remaining coolant for the radiators & heater core, & used compressed air to push out any residual coolant.
. Set air con system set to heat.
. After installing engine/cooling system, pulled 25" of vacuum on the coolant system with Airlift system. 25" of vacuum held for 30 min.
. system hold 8.45 gallons + a bit for the 3rd radiator
. premixed 10 gallons of coolant & distilled water in 2 5 gal buckets
. System only pulled in 6 gallons of mix when the vacuum hit 0 & the coolant is at the full level in the reservoir

I understand that there's some burping that will need to happen, but surely not 2 + gallons.
So I decided to start over & drained the entire system again, removing 6ish gallons. Some hitting the floor of course.

Repeating all of the steps, leaving the system at 25" for 45 min, the system pulled in 6 gallons again.

Is 6 gallons adequate before going through start-up & burping procedures?

Thank you for any input.
David

Old 10-09-2022, 10:16 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,409 Likes on 854 Posts

2009 C2S 184K miles

I used the airlift system for my refill and had no issues. However, I used my Porter Cable 6 gallon pancake air compressor for the procedure and it did not provide enough capacity. So I shut off the valve and re-ran the compressor to re-build pressure, and continued. This 6 gallon pancake compressor works fine, but not in one go. Is this the issue that you are facing?

Two more questions: How did you drain the fluid? Did you disconnect the lines from underneath the pan or just from the engine? I disconnected only from the engine and even using the compressor to blow out fluid, could not fully evacuate the system. So, how are you sure you fully evacuated the fluid? Did you measure how much came out?

My drain and re-fill procedure for my 997.2 here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...2-9a1-diy.html

Regarding use of airlift, you don't need it... you can do the old fashioned way of running your engine, getting in as much as you can, then driving and getting your RPMs up around 5-6K a few times then topping off.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 10-09-2022, 12:39 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 571 Likes on 313 Posts

2006 C2S. I recently drained my system and added a 3rd radiator. I got about 5 gallons out and spilled plenty on the floor, I doubt is was a gallon's worth though. I was replacing the water pump, thermostat and some of the rubber coolant pipes as well. 6 gallons of 50/50 distilled water and Porsche coolant went back in using the AirLift. I did run it a few times afterwards to check for leaks and burp the system so it didn't all go in at once. Only going about 30 miles. Yesterday was the first time I took it out and ran it through its paces and put about 200 miles on it. Just checked my coolant level while typing this response and I was a bit low so added the final liter bringing up to the 6 gallon total mark. When my Airlift hit zero and I took it out a few times for those initial 30 miles, I did have to add coolant, so I didn't get it all in with the Airlift. I plan to keep driving and monitoring the temp and coolant level. I still have another gallon of coolant on the shelf as I was expecting to put 8 gallons of coolant mixture back in.
Old 10-09-2022, 12:59 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,409 Likes on 854 Posts

Seems OK, just keep in mind you need to get your Rpms up high to blow out the trapped air.

Peace
Old 10-09-2022, 03:11 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 571 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Seems OK, just keep in mind you need to get your Rpms up high to blow out the trapped air.

Peace
I got mine up in the RPMs yesterday to help burp the system. That’s what I was going to tell the officer if I got stopped anyway.
The following users liked this post:
mytblue (10-09-2022)
Old 10-09-2022, 04:45 PM
mytblue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 184K miles

I used the airlift system for my refill and had no issues. However, I used my Porter Cable 6 gallon pancake air compressor for the procedure and it did not provide enough capacity. So I shut off the valve and re-ran the compressor to re-build pressure, and continued. This 6 gallon pancake compressor works fine, but not in one go. Is this the issue that you are facing?

Two more questions: How did you drain the fluid? Did you disconnect the lines from underneath the pan or just from the engine? I disconnected only from the engine and even using the compressor to blow out fluid, could not fully evacuate the system. So, how are you sure you fully evacuated the fluid? Did you measure how much came out?

My drain and re-fill procedure for my 997.2 here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...2-9a1-diy.html

Regarding use of airlift, you don't need it... you can do the old fashioned way of running your engine, getting in as much as you can, then driving and getting your RPMs up around 5-6K a few times then topping off.

Peace
hey Bruce

First off I should have thanked all that post their DYUI experiences. this resource is invaluable.

. I have a 30 gal air compressor set at 125 psi., I believe the airlift instructions recommended at least 90 psi.
. I disconnected the hoses from pipes up front, along with every other hose to pipe connection, then blew compressed air thru the system to make sure I drained as much as possible
. When draining for the second time around, I got about 5,75 gallons out. l lost a bit on the floor
. I read your post on drain & refill (thank you), along with these that provided valuable info.
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...n-a-997-a.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ustration.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...pump-tips.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ech-index.html

I would say the coolant refill went well, its just that i only got in 6 gallons that was concerning.
Thanks
David
Old 10-09-2022, 04:47 PM
mytblue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TerrestrialFlyte
2006 C2S. I recently drained my system and added a 3rd radiator. I got about 5 gallons out and spilled plenty on the floor, I doubt is was a gallon's worth though. I was replacing the water pump, thermostat and some of the rubber coolant pipes as well. 6 gallons of 50/50 distilled water and Porsche coolant went back in using the AirLift. I did run it a few times afterwards to check for leaks and burp the system so it didn't all go in at once. Only going about 30 miles. Yesterday was the first time I took it out and ran it through its paces and put about 200 miles on it. Just checked my coolant level while typing this response and I was a bit low so added the final liter bringing up to the 6 gallon total mark. When my Airlift hit zero and I took it out a few times for those initial 30 miles, I did have to add coolant, so I didn't get it all in with the Airlift. I plan to keep driving and monitoring the temp and coolant level. I still have another gallon of coolant on the shelf as I was expecting to put 8 gallons of coolant mixture back in.
Great, thanks for the info.

I've not started mine yet as i have a new engine & want to make sure my experience is not a bad outlier.

David
The following users liked this post:
TerrestrialFlyte (10-09-2022)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997 C2S Water Pump and Coolant Procedure with Pics