Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Override a Faulty Clutch Sensor

Old 05-04-2013, 03:39 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
...The Service Manager told me that if I had another issue with the clutch sensor prior to getting it replaced, that I should continue to depress the clutch and continue to hold the key in the "start" position for about 30 seconds, then the car would start...
So, does the engine actually crank for the entire 30 seconds? If so, I guess it would be OK as a one-shot deal to keep from being stranded...but doing it more than once or twice sounds like it would be pretty hard on the starter motor.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:41 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 1analguy
So, does the engine actually crank for the entire 30 seconds? If so, I guess it would be OK as a one-shot deal to keep from being stranded...but doing it more than once or twice sounds like it would be pretty hard on the starter motor.
No, the engine starts to crank after a 30 second delay. The purpose of the switch is to prevent crank without clutch depressed. This over ride tip allows you to bypass functionality of the switch by holding the key in the start position and waiting for 30 seconds to pass before starter engages.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:31 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
No, the engine starts to crank after a 30 second delay. The purpose of the switch is to prevent crank without clutch depressed. This over ride tip allows you to bypass functionality of the switch by holding the key in the start position and waiting for 30 seconds to pass before starter engages.
Exactly what you said.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:26 PM
J. Kid
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

When mine was going I carried a 1-2 inch piece of wire in my glovebox. If it wouldn't start I'd place it on the 2 metal contacts on the switch to bypass it as I didn't know about the 30 second trick. After the dealer swapped out the switch a year ago I haven't had a problem since but still have the wire just in case. Guess I can throw out the wire now. Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-08-2013, 04:16 AM
1analguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Cool. I have to wonder, though. They went through some real trouble to engineer this rather arcane work-around into the software. It's almost as though they expected to have trouble with the switch...
Old 05-09-2013, 07:47 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 1analguy
Cool. I have to wonder, though. They went through some real trouble to engineer this rather arcane work-around into the software. It's almost as though they expected to have trouble with the switch...
Probably no more of an expectation than having he manual ways to open the trunk or the rear deck lid if the battery dies. Any electrical connection can fail occasionally, and since, for safety reasons, the DOT requires the clutch to be depressed for the starter to engage, I see this "work around" as forward thinking by the Porsche engineers to make sure the car is operable if the clutch sensor goes bad.

We have two entirely different views on the design of this "work around" for a faulty sensor. I see the glass as half full, you apparently see it as half empty.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:33 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by gota911
...We have two entirely different views on the design of this "work around" for a faulty sensor. I see the glass as half full, you apparently see it as half empty.
Not exactly true...I think it's swell, I'm just a little surprised that they did it.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:03 PM
dwost
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had mine done last week. Started acting up the end of last year. I didn't know about the 30sec override, thanks for the heads up. What did work for me was to get in and turn the key to the "on" position (not depressing clutch) count to 5 and turn the key. 9 times out of 10 it would start.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:11 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Also had mine replaced on my Spyder. Wish I had known this trick . Thanks Tim
Old 11-09-2013, 07:36 PM
BoomC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Had mine replaced 2 years ago and it has started acting up again. Thanks for the tip. I wasn't aware of this.

Bricker
Old 01-05-2023, 10:31 PM
user 3470812
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for posting this helpful tip. I ran into this trouble today. Hopefully this is my solution tomorrow.

kind regards,
julian

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to Override a Faulty Clutch Sensor