Dallas to Birmingham?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 04:16 PM
gino'61
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dallas to Birmingham?

Hi, guys!

I'm going to attend the Driving School in June and are wondering if driving from Dallas to Birmingham is a good idea.

Looking at Google maps, it says it's 665 miles which I think is doable in a day.

How is the drive on I20? Is it worth it? Are there alternate routes nearby that could be better than just driving on the Interstate?

I could split the drive in two days so my wife and 10 year old daughter don't die of boredom along the way, no hurry to get there.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:36 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts

An easy one day drive, but a full day. I have done it several times. The host hotel is in town, but there are several motels within a mile or so of the track which is actually in Leeds Al. on the east side of Birmingham.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:40 PM
nhodgson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gino.....I live in Leeds, 4.7 miles from the track. Let me know if I can do any reconnaissance for you or you need a contact when you get here....inbox/PM me for my phone number if you're interested.

By the way, the PSDS is outstanding and I know you'll have a great time......ask me how I know... ;-)

Neil.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:22 AM
gino'61
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by f4 plt
An easy one day drive, but a full day. I have done it several times. The host hotel is in town, but there are several motels within a mile or so of the track which is actually in Leeds Al. on the east side of Birmingham.
Thanks, F4plt! I will definitely plan on it then. Will probably go for the Renaissance so I can leave my wife and daughter behind with a clear consciense.
Nice avatar!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:23 AM
gino'61
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nhodgson
Gino.....I live in Leeds, 4.7 miles from the track. Let me know if I can do any reconnaissance for you or you need a contact when you get here....inbox/PM me for my phone number if you're interested.

By the way, the PSDS is outstanding and I know you'll have a great time......ask me how I know... ;-)

Neil.
Thanks for your kind offer, Neil! Awesome group of guys here at the Forum. PM on the way. Thanks again!
Old 04-02-2013, 12:04 PM
windboat
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You can make it a two day trip Dallas > Birmingham if you stop in Vicksburg, MS. Vicksburg has quite a bit of historical value from Civil War and is a nice mid-way stop from Dallas. The Renaissance Hotel is a very nice hotel, but is somewhat removed from Birmingham itself, make certain your family has their own transportation while you are at the track.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:41 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you happen to be a motorcycle lover, be sure to go to the museum right by the track. Incredible!!
Old 04-02-2013, 01:36 PM
gino'61
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by windboat
You can make it a two day trip Dallas > Birmingham if you stop in Vicksburg, MS. Vicksburg has quite a bit of historical value from Civil War and is a nice mid-way stop from Dallas. The Renaissance Hotel is a very nice hotel, but is somewhat removed from Birmingham itself, make certain your family has their own transportation while you are at the track.
Thanks for the tip! I was wondering where to stop to make the trip more interesting. I will certainly plan for a night in Vicksburg!
Old 04-02-2013, 01:38 PM
gino'61
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by McCulla
If you happen to be a motorcycle lover, be sure to go to the museum right by the track. Incredible!!
Will do, McCulla, thanks! It's been a while since I had a motorcycle but I certainly love them. Great suggestion!

Quick Reply: Dallas to Birmingham?