Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSE toggling options: Adding PSE button/ Sport button tinkering.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 04:26 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts
Default PSE toggling options: Adding PSE button/ Sport button tinkering.

My 06 C2S has sport chrono + PSE from the factory. I currently run with the PSE 'unplugged' all the time and it's lovely. I have been thinking of adding sport cats however and thought being able to control it again might prove useful.

Just pushing the 'Sport' button turns on the PSE sure enough, but with it comes the overactive throttle which unfortunately I don't car for. I've often wondered if there was a way to disable the throttle part of the Sport button but leave the rest. Surely it's all tied into the DME and not as simple as unplugging a wire.

My next thought was possibly adding a PSE button to the dash. I have an aerokit car so I have a useless rear spoiler button that current does nothing at all. Surely it could be replaced with or re-purposed as a PSE button. This would entail running wires I'm certain, although might present an opportunity to work around the speed sensor for the PSE. I'm certain I've seen folks wire their own separate PSE 'button' under the handbrake, etc. Same principle applies I suppose the only difference being using a factory button instead of aftermarket.

Lastly there are the various PSE wireless remote systems but I'd prefer not to go that path.

Any thoughts on the above or how to best control the PSE toggling?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:57 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

You might contact rennlist member keninirvine. I think he just added PSE to his car and has a toggle switch to activate it.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Ken968
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I added PSE to my car independant of the DME. Everything looks 100 percent stock. The only thing I had trouble with was finding an led small enough and durable enough to insert into the switch. That's a project for another day. When I press the switch once the flaps open. I press it again they close regardless of speed.

Ken
Old 03-27-2013, 08:58 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Do tell Ken. Is there a write up or DIY of sorts to assist in doing the same. If it can be wired to a toggle switch, it's no inconceivable that it could be wired to my factory spoiler switch as an alternative.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:23 PM
Ken968
Instructor

There is no full DIY, but essentially I took apart the factory switches and installed a momentary switch behind the factory one. This was then wired to a latching relay circuit board which was also wired to the oem PSE solenoid. To do this I used the TB for PSE retrofit and bugged a few forum members who had completed similar projects. The hardest part was getting the wires from the engine compartment to inside the car. I have a cab and I think that gave me an advantage to visualize the wires depending on what position the top was in. If you pay a shop to do this I can see them charging 5-6 hours labor. I worked on it for several nights here and there after work so I'm not sure what actual install time was.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 03-27-2013, 09:32 PM
SecretAsianMan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alternatively Carnewal sells a kit to let you manually control the PSE valves, but you operate it with a cheesy remote control key fob.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Ken968
Instructor

Originally Posted by SecretAsianMan
Alternatively Carnewal sells a kit to let you manually control the PSE valves, but you operate it with a cheesy remote control key fob.

Yes, that is certainly easier but I think the OP didn't want to go that route.

Ken
Old 03-27-2013, 10:07 PM
SecretAsianMan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just tossing the option out there. I'm at the same conundrum as OP and what you suggested sounds ideal, but it also sounds like a lot more work.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:02 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

I actually had the carnewal device on my last 997. As silly as it sounds, having to use a key fob to toggle the exhaust just didn't seem right to me. Plus, it was one more thing to end up rattling around the cabin!

A clean factory like install is definitely more my style.

It seems like since there are already wires going to the PSE from my factory install, there should be less wiring involved, no? I admittedly don't have a good understanding of how the PSE is wired (that TB would help surely) but I know it goes into the DME somewhere in the car. Couldn't I just pull that wire and re-route it to my new switch instead? Perhaps I'm over simplifying...
Old 03-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Ken968
Instructor

I got the TSB, and a lot of information on how PSE works on Renntech. If I remember correctly, the way the system works is by grounding and un grounding a circuit depending on whether you have PSE or off. The only way I could figure to replicate this was by installing the latching circuit to do the same thing independent of the cars speed. I bought the premade circuit board from a UK ebayer. I can try to dig up specifics if your interested.

Ken
Old 03-28-2013, 02:41 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Absolutely interested Ken if it's not too much trouble.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:15 PM
Ken968
Instructor

Here is a link to the circuit I bought. I actually bought 2 so I would have one as a spare just incase. So far it's worked flawlessly. No affiliation with the seller, but when I had questions and emailed him he was a lot of help to get things sorted.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Latching-r...item19da78c984

I placed a tactile switch similar to this one behind the OEM PSE switch. I got the switch off eBay also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50PCS-6mm-x-...item257c14eff9

There were some modifications made to the OEM switch assembly to allow me to run the wires from the tactile switch to the circuit board, but nothing more than a little dremmeling. If you decided you want to tackle this you can PM me and I'll do my best to clear up any specific questions you may have.

Ken

Quick Reply: PSE toggling options: Adding PSE button/ Sport button tinkering.