Sponsored by:

Gary Sims passed away

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 03:25 PM
crazycarlitos
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RIP Gary.

Last time I had chance to talk to Gary was at a PCA event last year.

He will be missed by many.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:34 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 512 Posts

What a bummer. I enjoyed his posts. RIP Gary!
Old 03-06-2013, 11:42 PM
tkdinga
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Sad Indeed

I didn't know him personally but I always learned a lot and was entertained by Gary's posts - before I even purchased my car and started lurking around here. He was one of the first Members to ever welcome. congratulate and reassure me on a question I had when I made my first post. Impressive Resume as well and definitely will be missed in our online community. My condolences to his family and anyone here who was close to him personally - I wish I had been able to meet him and shake his hand.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

RIP Gary.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Sad news to hear. RIP in peace Gary.

Neil
Old 03-07-2013, 09:00 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

RIP Gary, your insight, experience and writing will be genuinely missed.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:49 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Rest in peace Gary. We will miss you.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:14 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A brillant and humble man. RIP Gary.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:42 AM
hockeyguy
Instructor

I rarely post here, but last year I posted something about listening to classical music in my Porsche, and Gary responded to me that he had listened to ALL of Mozart's and Beethoven's works while driving his Porsches!
How many here knew that!!

Last edited by hockeyguy; 03-10-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:00 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

I remember Gary from my statement that "I enjoyed his RANTs on RennList". He took objection to that and in a friendly way called me out on it! Would have loved to have met him in person. People with true character seem to rare these days - especially ones that are literate and can write interesting dialogues. Miss the guy. Who's next to carry the literary torch of Porsche knowledge?
Old 03-11-2013, 04:02 AM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

My condolences to the loss of a great friend. I had the luck of reading some of his writings during my occasional visits to the forums, and he is one of the few here that I had hoped to one day have a conversation with. I am saddened that I will never have that opportunity, but 'tis a bittersweet thought that he may no longer feel the sorrow of being apart from his wife.

With much respect, I bid you goodbye, Gary.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:17 PM
brochalm
Track Day

Default Gary Sims, an dear brother.

Thanks you all for posting as you have. As you have mentioned my brother was an incredible person and friend.
Some would characterize his attention to detail and people skills as old school in comparison to how the average person communicates in this day and age. I say it is how we are supposed to live. Both of my older brothers Gary and Dale are this way. Great people and full of love and support.
As a new member I look forward to learning and getting to know some of you. I have always loved Porsche's. I can remember back in 1979 walking through the Officers Barracks and seeing the most beautiful Porsche Turbo 911 with a whale tail, Gorgeous blue color with a large ribbon and bow on it and a small tag saying " I hope this makes up for last night" Of course is was in a Ladies hand writing. I thought WOW How lucky is this officer!!!!!!!! It was brand new, Of course I drooled. At that moment as a 18 year old lad in the Air force stationed overseas, I was hooked.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:21 AM
gorton
2nd Gear

I'm new to this forum, not having a whole lot of time to read or write posts, but I was told about this thread and joined just to add something about Gary. Unlike most of you, I didn't know him on Rennlist, but in person - although we only became acquainted last November, when he was assigned to me as an "Advanced Instructor" at a PCA/SGVR-GPX - sponsored DE/TT at the Fairplex (Pomona, California). As he was a former and I a current employee at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, we ended up "speaking the same language" and he's the first instructor I met who not only had been a professional race driver (Formula Fords) and instructor, but used terms like "vector" and "second derivative" in our conversation.

He was clearly enjoying his new Porsche. He was "breaking it in" on the Pomona track and trying hard not to over-rev a new car. But he'd already moved the goal posts up from 4000 to 5000 rpm and was finding it hard not to drive over that limit. But - boy - was he enjoying the ride.

We were both extremely tired the Monday after that track day but mutual email confirmed that we both had had what Gary called "very serious fun" and planned to do this again at the PGX's Day Away from work this weekend. We started nearly weekly email exchanges, usually punctuated with Gary's Google-Earth renditions of track maps that were filled with overlain diagrams on the line and braking/turning points. I never thought I'd meet anybody else driving the track who was as analytical as I tend to be! :-) We got together at the end of January at a Lancaster restaurant just before a POC event. Like a few of you, I suddenly stopped hearing from him - then got the awful news.

I note that he'd complained in January that it felt as if his "left side was starting to shut down", which added to the complications of his severe arthritis (he was walking with two canes, but his track performance made up for any slowness by foot!!).

Gary, I clearly met you way too late, and I'll miss you a lot.

PCA/SGVR, CDI
Old 03-15-2013, 11:57 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by brochalm
Thanks you all for posting as you have. As you have mentioned my brother was an incredible person and friend.
Some would characterize his attention to detail and people skills as old school in comparison to how the average person communicates in this day and age. I say it is how we are supposed to live. Both of my older brothers Gary and Dale are this way. Great people and full of love and support.
As a new member I look forward to learning and getting to know some of you. I have always loved Porsche's. I can remember back in 1979 walking through the Officers Barracks and seeing the most beautiful Porsche Turbo 911 with a whale tail, Gorgeous blue color with a large ribbon and bow on it and a small tag saying " I hope this makes up for last night" Of course is was in a Ladies hand writing. I thought WOW How lucky is this officer!!!!!!!! It was brand new, Of course I drooled. At that moment as a 18 year old lad in the Air force stationed overseas, I was hooked.
Welcome and really great to hear from you. Thanks for posting. Quick question - someone needs to pick up Gary's car and carry on breaking it in. He would like that. Do you have it?
Old 03-15-2013, 12:54 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gorton
I'm new to this forum, not having a whole lot of time to read or write posts, but I was told about this thread and joined just to add something about Gary. Unlike most of you, I didn't know him on Rennlist, but in person - although we only became acquainted last November, when he was assigned to me as an "Advanced Instructor" at a PCA/SGVR-GPX - sponsored DE/TT at the Fairplex (Pomona, California). As he was a former and I a current employee at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, we ended up "speaking the same language" and he's the first instructor I met who not only had been a professional race driver (Formula Fords) and instructor, but used terms like "vector" and "second derivative" in our conversation.

He was clearly enjoying his new Porsche. He was "breaking it in" on the Pomona track and trying hard not to over-rev a new car. But he'd already moved the goal posts up from 4000 to 5000 rpm and was finding it hard not to drive over that limit. But - boy - was he enjoying the ride.

We were both extremely tired the Monday after that track day but mutual email confirmed that we both had had what Gary called "very serious fun" and planned to do this again at the PGX's Day Away from work this weekend. We started nearly weekly email exchanges, usually punctuated with Gary's Google-Earth renditions of track maps that were filled with overlain diagrams on the line and braking/turning points. I never thought I'd meet anybody else driving the track who was as analytical as I tend to be! :-) We got together at the end of January at a Lancaster restaurant just before a POC event. Like a few of you, I suddenly stopped hearing from him - then got the awful news.

I note that he'd complained in January that it felt as if his "left side was starting to shut down", which added to the complications of his severe arthritis (he was walking with two canes, but his track performance made up for any slowness by foot!!).

Gary, I clearly met you way too late, and I'll miss you a lot.

PCA/SGVR, CDI
That is a very nice anecdote about Gary and your new but brief friendship. Thanks for sharing, and shedding some light on him for the rest of us.

Quick Reply: Gary Sims passed away