Sponsored by:

Carrara white not as white as before

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 08:04 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Carrara white not as white as before

My carrara white C2S is not as white as before. I noticed the difference when i opened the door and the inner part of the door and body is noticeably whiter. Griots clay bar, griots polish and rejex polymer were the treatments. Any ideas how to get the carrara white back. By the way minimal to no swirls and good shine/ reflection.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:56 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

perhaps it's just the lighting
Old 03-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

What is your exact polishing procedure including the type of Griots Polish, pads used, RPM etc.

You may need to use a stronger polish to remove the surface contaminants.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

There are a lot of variables. What is the year of your car (how long has it been exposed to the elements, that is). Is it stored outdoors or in a garage. The sun does a number on paint and angle of incidence plays a role; where do you live what is the azimuth of the sun there. Is there a lot of pollution where you live (ozone, is a powerful oxidizer and can do a number on paint). If you drive in the rain what is the acidity (I don't know if acid rain will affect your paint but it did on an old BMW I owned).

Regardless of the cause, if the white is duller, and it is a function of oxidation, I suppose you could get it professionally buffed. My aforementioned BMW was buffed out (i cant recall how deep they went) and it's true red color returned - but that was a car that for its whole life was stored outside and exposed to the elements in a city environment.

Best of luck..
Old 03-04-2013, 12:24 PM
Mojo31
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed the same thing on my '09 when I removed the stone guards yesterday. The paint under was a slightly "brighter" white. Seems to me to be the effects of aging.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:44 PM
PTParks
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not the base color (white in this case) that is changing but rather the clear coat on the surface that is suffering some sort of environmental damage. I would think a professional detailing with the correct polishing agent and up-to-date synthetic wax/polish would bring everything back to (almost) new.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:08 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Car is stored in doors, most of the time. car is a 2010, yes it get rain a number of times a year. I felt however, that using griots best of show wax before, which is brown in color, kind of left the brown color of the white paint. To try to get color back i used griots clay followed by griots machine polish 3 using polisher set at 5, then applied rejex after. Of course there is a washing regiment after each step. Finish looks fine practically no swirls and very smooth. But is not as white as the unexposed areas like the inside door frame.

Quick Reply: Carrara white not as white as before