Sponsored by:

IPod charging

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 02:33 PM
Andrew Ward
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPod charging

Will leaving an IPod plugged in all the time flatten the battery?
Or once it reaches 100 % will it shut off.
Thanks
Old 02-14-2013, 03:42 PM
SecretAsianMan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on your specific ipod adaptor. My NavTV unit only powers the ipod when basic accessory lights are on in the car. When I unlock my car and get in I can hear the iPod make the "charging" sound.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:32 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The 2009 PCM with the iPod interface (one staight cable) will not charge the iOS device when the car is off, in fact, it appears to keep the iOS device form going to sleep and as a result, your iPod will discharge totally over several days (if left in the car, with the car not used). The iPod will reboot and start charging again when you turn on the car, but will likely restart from the front of the selected play list.

Not sure how it works with the 2-tail iPod + USB cable that pulls 5v charging from USB to drive a newer iPod. I just know my old single cable charging my older 12v charge capable iPod did just that.. drained when the car was off, charged when it was on. So every time I didn't drive the car for 3-4 days I'd find the iPod dead and it would start playing from the first song in the playlist again.

I'd bet that it certainly doesn't keep your iPod charged/topped off.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Andrew Ward
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2011 997.2 with the dual adapters
Old 02-14-2013, 11:01 PM
riksche
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2012 and the iPod only charges when the car is on - if I leave it for a few days without driving, the iPod totally discharges.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:17 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by riksche
I have a 2012 and the iPod only charges when the car is on - if I leave it for a few days without driving, the iPod totally discharges.
Which seems to suggest the iPod still isn't allowed to go to sleep because with a halfway decent battery in it, the iPod should be able to last more than a month if not actively running. I can leave my ipod in sleep mode in my gym bag for 2 months and it still powers up fine. Leave it plugged in my car for 5 days and its dead.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:18 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts
Default Agree

I agree. I have the audio interface option on my 2009 C2 and use the single cable hookup. I have found the iPod battery drained occasionally. Sometimes without sitting for very long, which leads me to believe that not only does the interface not allow the iPod to go into sleep mode but it also doesn't charge at all times when the car is on.

Interestingly, I have occasionally gone somewhere to run an errand and when I came back, found that even though the car was off, the iPod had been continuously playing because I'd be on a different song in the album when I returned.

The PCM has some ghosts in the machine that make me worry about longevity of the whole system.

Quick Reply: IPod charging