Airbag light 2006 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 03:20 PM
hurricanesteve
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Airbag light 2006 997.1

Airbag light stays on, get a message "System Failure"

Durametric logs a fault in the Airbag system saying AWS...AWS system has a fault (implausible signal or something).

I cleared the codes with the durametric, but they come back. I found a bootlegged service document somewhere on the web for a 2006 Cayenne that shows a longer procedure to clear airbag codes with PIWIS and removing/reinserting the key in a certain sequence. Have not yet tried that with the durametric.

There was a metal water bottle under the seat, and I've found several folks who report something similar happening to them. Seems they found it required a visit to someone with PIWIS to recalibrate the AWS.

Can anyone confirm/deny that the AWS fault can be cleared without recalibration?

thanks!
Old 02-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

after i swapped my OEM seats for sport buckets, i had to disable AWS in order for the ctr console light to go off. i cdnt find any other way to do it. FWIW i did have the front latch installed by the dealer so i also have the key activated manual airbag defeat. when i turn off the airbag that way, the light (correctly) illuminates so this tells me that in normal operation, the system is working - airbag is in operation - even with the AWS is disabled.

if you fig out another way, pls post it here.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:13 AM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hurricanesteve
Airbag light stays on, get a message "System Failure"

Durametric logs a fault in the Airbag system saying AWS...AWS system has a fault (implausible signal or something).

I cleared the codes with the durametric, but they come back. I found a bootlegged service document somewhere on the web for a 2006 Cayenne that shows a longer procedure to clear airbag codes with PIWIS and removing/reinserting the key in a certain sequence. Have not yet tried that with the durametric.

There was a metal water bottle under the seat, and I've found several folks who report something similar happening to them. Seems they found it required a visit to someone with PIWIS to recalibrate the AWS.

Can anyone confirm/deny that the AWS fault can be cleared without recalibration?

thanks!
Have you called your local dealer and ask the cost of them clearing the code for you? You might be looking at $100-200. Just a suggestion.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:11 PM
hurricanesteve
Advanced

Grrr.

Good news: Got the AWS fault cleared by clearing, then turning key off and on. Took two tries, but the fault in the AWS module stayed gone and the AWS related fault in the airbag module stayed gone.

bad news: However, now I have a new code that I cannot seem to clear: 805A Passenger's front sensor no communication.

I can't find any reference to this specific code in searching rennlist or the web. I tried checking all the actual values and input signals in durametric, but i don't see any differences "driver" to "passenger"

I found a reference to more POSIP signals here: http://equiposdediagnosticoautomotri...I-V2011.01.pdf (see page 8, item 14 in the POSIP)

but I don't see that in the durametric dialogs.

Car needs an inspection this month. Anyone got tips on where this sensor is so I can just do a visual inspection of connections/wiring before handing it to my indy shop with a wad of cash?
Old 05-02-2013, 05:57 PM
dzaprev
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Anyone know where sensor is I have same code in friends car .
Old 05-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Name:  Capture_zpsb1b2b471.jpg
Views: 15284
Size:  56.8 KB
AWS is under the passenger seat. I would suggest checking all the electrical connectors are fully seated. You mentioned you had a water bottle under the seat. It could be something as simple as a loose connector.
The following users liked this post:
Fatty McGee (09-10-2021)
Old 05-03-2013, 09:47 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

The connectors aren't the easiest to reconnect. A connector might not be fully seated.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:58 AM
hurricanesteve
Advanced

Originally Posted by dzaprev
Anyone know where sensor is I have same code in friends car .
devilboy's picture is of the aws sensor if you're getting that code. if you're getting the sensor no communication code, I've found from looking at the online parts guides that there are two sensors for the passenger side airbag deployment: one is behind the bumper cover, sort of underneath the headlight and the other is in the door sill under the sill cover towards the b-pillar area.

unfortunately, there does not appear to be any way to tell which is not sending a signal. if i recall, they are both around $150 and have diff part numbers. I hate having to buy them both just to find the bad 'one', but there is no test procedure i can find. now, it will cost me $600 at an indy to have them test and replace just the bad one OR i can DIY it for $300 and end up with an unused extra sensor. goofy.
The following users liked this post:
fitman (11-17-2019)
Old 05-06-2013, 03:15 PM
82_930
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had this and it turned out to be a sensor in the front bumper (unless the dealer was bullshYting me)
Old 05-23-2013, 03:27 PM
Mikkofin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the same code, 805A Passenger's front sensor no communication

Could the "front" in the decription indicate that its behind the bumper sensor?

The code cleared with Durametric, but havent driven the car yet to see if it comes back.
May have to replace the sensor then as well if it pops up again.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:56 PM
Spoddle
Rennlist Member

Just had this fault pop up today. Any update from Mikkofin or hurricanesteve on whether your issue came back and the ultimate source/fix?
Old 07-06-2013, 03:15 PM
hurricanesteve
Advanced

Sorry no update. Still living with it the red exclamation point. If you figure it out, beer's on me.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Spoddle
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hurricanesteve
Sorry no update. Still living with it the red exclamation point. If you figure it out, beer's on me.
Thanks for the update. I may go ahead and order a new set of front sensors, install and report back.

Durametric Fault: Airbag - POSIP
Current Fault Codes 805A: Passenger's front sensor no communication

Front Bumper Removal Instructions
Porsche Acceleration Sensor Part #99761822302

For reference purposes here's where the air bag sensors are:
A - Sensors for front airbag
B - Sensors for centre airbag
Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Spoddle
Rennlist Member

Front airbag sensors ordered... total came to $181.72 shipped for two. I'll hopefully receive them by this weekend and knock out installing them and report back.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Spoddle
Rennlist Member

Fixed... installed two new front airbag A sensors and cleared the codes. After running a few errands the fault has not returned.

Quick Reply: Airbag light 2006 997.1