Sponsored by:

how much is CPO worth?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 04:18 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default how much is CPO worth?

Assuming two identical cars, both have clean PPI, how much extra would you be willing to pay to get CPO?
Old 08-25-2012, 04:29 PM
BED997
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

I believe the dealer pays $2,000 to have the car put through the CPO process with Porsche or can offer the CPO for that. . I've also heard 2500 and 2700 as well when I was looking.

Some one here might know the "real" cost to the dealership. Heck, it might be 0. I think a lot of it depends on the maintenance and tires needed to catch the car up on the scheduled plan.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:31 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 those are the kind of numbers I hear bandied about as well.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:31 PM
maxrod
Intermediate

Worth "Peace of mind". I have heard $2000-2500. You can negotiate with dealers as they loose about $6k if they send the car to auction.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:32 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

$1-2k would be my personal range. CPO will give you an extra 2 years, and will cover any major catastraphies... It is not equal to the original warranty and does have some exclusions however...

I find that getting a PPI and a DME readout are far more important than a CPO warranty. How the car was treated prior to your acquistion will be the most relevant information. But with that said, I purchased a CPO car and now have 20 of the 24 months down - and have had zero problems. The DME read-out was perfect, so that was the real indicator IMHO...

Good luck!
-B
Old 08-25-2012, 04:32 PM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In simple terms, it's worth peace of mind....

Dealers typically give you the song and dance that it costs them crazy $ to bring a car to CPO "condition". That makes me think they started out with a real POS car. I don't think with my car they have to spend any money on, and it would simply need an inspection.

So, if they don't have to do a thing to the car, and all they're doing is extending the warranty, simple logic tells me the value of CPO is the equivalent cost of an aftermarket warranty from a reputable company, which my preliminary research since my warranty expires next April, is in the $3000 neighborhood.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:57 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blake
$1-2k would be my personal range. CPO will give you an extra 2 years, and will cover any major catastraphies... It is not equal to the original warranty and does have some exclusions however...

I find that getting a PPI and a DME readout are far more important than a CPO warranty. How the car was treated prior to your acquistion will be the most relevant information. But with that said, I purchased a CPO car and now have 20 of the 24 months down - and have had zero problems. The DME read-out was perfect, so that was the real indicator IMHO...

Good luck!
-B
I agree with the sentiment that how the car was treated prior - both break in and subsequently - is of major importance in its reliability going forward, but concluding one way or another is not appropriate with a sample size of 1. Not to hijack this thread into a discussion on insurance, but I guess that's what I am doing. CPO is insurance and only the buyer can value it. It's amazing to me - we all buy homeowner's insurance yet I never hear anyone complaining that they bought this insurance and their house didn't burn down. But there are lots of folks who think they need to have a catastrophic engine failure or the CPO wasn't worth it.

The only thing I'd say is don't buy insurance for risks you feel good about taking. I feel ok having to replace brake pads and ponying up for minor repairs. So I didn't buy coverage for that. IMS failure - I didn't want to face that risk so I paid a few grand to cover that one. Others might decide otherwise.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:09 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i find P's CPO the best in the industry. Just look at MB's its crap. For me $2000 is worth it.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:39 AM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Is the CPO something you can buy for any 997 or does it have to be under certain year/mileage restrictions? If so, can you purchase a CPO for a car bought from a non-porsche dealer, i.e. private sale? Thanks!
Old 08-26-2012, 11:47 AM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearfishin
Is the CPO something you can buy for any 997 or does it have to be under certain year/mileage restrictions? If so, can you purchase a CPO for a car bought from a non-porsche dealer, i.e. private sale? Thanks!
CPO can only be issued by a Porsche Dealer. An individual owner can't purchase a Certified Preowned Warranty without (in the rare cases) having the dealership agree to buy the vehicle and issue the CPO for the owner
Old 08-26-2012, 07:04 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Originally Posted by ajayabb
CPO can only be issued by a Porsche Dealer. An individual owner can't purchase a Certified Preowned Warranty without (in the rare cases) having the dealership agree to buy the vehicle and issue the CPO for the owner
yes, then of course you have to pay tax.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:06 PM
kosmo
Race Director

the CPO covers everything except wear and tears. ZERO deductible.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:55 AM
vg247
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX 911
In simple terms, it's worth peace of mind....

Dealers typically give you the song and dance that it costs them crazy $ to bring a car to CPO "condition". That makes me think they started out with a real POS car. I don't think with my car they have to spend any money on, and it would simply need an inspection.

So, if they don't have to do a thing to the car, and all they're doing is extending the warranty, simple logic tells me the value of CPO is the equivalent cost of an aftermarket warranty from a reputable company, which my preliminary research since my warranty expires next April, is in the $3000 neighborhood.
Totally agree..it's the peace of mind (very well worth the $2-3K IMO).

With my recent CPO purchase my warranty goes until 7/2015 and they had the front breaks and rear tires replaced, brake flush, oil changed, in addition to wheel alignment and new mats. The purchase mileage was 14,600miles for an 09'.

So far I had some interior trim that came out on the leather, PDK update, and Central Locking issues that they are working on.. I think these little nick nack repairs can easily add up to the CPO value and be very worth your peace of mind.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:19 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by ajayabb
Except as a private seller of a CPO car you CAN transfer that CPO to the new owner. You CANNOT however buy a CPO car from a non-P dealer (even if it was sold to that dealer with a valid CPO)

Quick Reply: how much is CPO worth?