Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safe/ good idea to add GT3 wing to Carrera 2S?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Suns_PSD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe/ good idea to add GT3 wing to Carrera 2S?

I've found a couple of 911s that I like and am hoping to work a deal on one of them.

One has the GT3 wing, aftermarket or OEM I do not know, and I love the look of that.

But a local Porsche salesman claimed it has to have $12K worth of Hydraulics, etc... that come w/ it and if you don't go factory stuff it won't cool the motor correctly, etc...

Can anyone fill me in on what's involved w/ this particular upgrade?
Also, what is the good and bad of this wing? I assume more drag so slightly less mpg but does it offer noticable traction advantages in the rear above a certain speed?

Thx
Old 07-20-2012, 03:00 PM
laz74
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you track your car, it could provide function by way of additional traction. If you strictly street your car, it would provide solely looks, and as you stated, potentially decreased fuel efficiency.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

The rear wing, either the factory aerokit piece for a normal Carrera or a GT3 style wing is designed to work with a larger front spoiler. Adding more downforce to the rear but not the front isn't a great idea in a car that already has a relatively light front end. I'm not saying it would necessarily be unsafe at street legal speeds, but a rear wing alone is not optimal. If the car you're looking at doesn't have an appropriate front spoiler, that's something to consider.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:56 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

do not do wing without front lip/spoiler or proper GT3 front bumper with a lip.
I am in fact finally adding a front lip but no wing as my car pushes in the corners and does not really need more downforce in the rear.

aftermarket gt3 wing costs from $1600 to $2600 somewhat. proper GT3 RS or cup car wing costs more.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:54 AM
MAM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys... i have a '09 C2 Coupe and have been wanting to add a good aftermarket GT3 rear wing and front lip spoiler....

Where is the best place to snag both of these from? any help is much appreciated. thanks.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:15 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Grand Am Conti series Porsche Carrera S uses GT3 .1 rear wing with no front additional spoiler.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:20 AM
MAM
4th Gear

thanks for quick reply.... OEM best or is there an alternative route to dealer such as Suncoast?? they will ONLY sell as a kit w/ front lip and honestly, i do want the front lip as well, but curious to see if there is a better price out there than the some $4400 they are getting for the 2 of them together (rear decklid and front splitter) thanks in advance... Greg
Old 07-21-2012, 01:56 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

The factory parts Suncoast sells might end up being less expensive after the install. I've put two factory aero kits on two cars. The installer was the same for both and he commented how much easier it was using factory parts.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:38 AM
MAM
4th Gear

ok... thanks much for your input.... that helps me a lot. i have access to a few great body shops, but prob. no sense in using the aftermarket stuff if the factory stuff is that much easier to install.... thanks and have a good night. greg
Old 07-21-2012, 02:39 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just pay a little more and get a real GT3.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:00 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Try these guys.

http://www.rotteccarbon.com/997carrera.php

These guys seem to have everything.

http://www.rotteccarbon.com/997carrera.php
Old 07-21-2012, 03:58 PM
Suns_PSD
Instructor

The car I'm interested in has both the GT3 front clip and the wing. I guess I know why now.

I will track the car 3-5 annually so I don't want to induce additional understeer.

One of the links posted showed some splitters up front. Is this what is needed to keep the front end planted or do you need the entire front clip?

I can't help but wonder why Porsche doesn't address this apparent misbalance at the factory.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:14 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Is there a site other than Porsche that does a side by side comparison of the S, GTS and GT3. I don't think the Porsche web site does a very good job of explaining the differences. I didn't see any of the Porsche Club members with a GT3.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:47 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
The car I'm interested in has both the GT3 front clip and the wing. I guess I know why now.

I will track the car 3-5 annually so I don't want to induce additional understeer.

One of the links posted showed some splitters up front. Is this what is needed to keep the front end planted or do you need the entire front clip?

I can't help but wonder why Porsche doesn't address this apparent misbalance at the factory.
Porsche addresses everything in the cup car design. those are cars designed for a track. all the rest are street cars with various level of deficiencies.
you may review this seller:
http://www.carid.com/2006-porsche-997-body-kits/
they have something that looks like GT3 front bumper and wing replicas for $670 and $870 something, imho it is cheapest one i saw. it looks close enough on web site photos, what it is in reality i do not know. if you want to do aero kit for track best solution is a cup car wing and cup car front bumper, both cost a lot if you get them from motorsports parts dealer. i would only address aero issues if you positive that you have any.
i will only try front splitter now as i want more downforce in the front in my current car configuration. adding wing in the rear would make understeer even worse, so, i do not need it and i cannot put cup car front bumper as it has may be 60mm clearence in the front from the ground, car is not drivable on the street with such front clearence.

Quick Reply: Safe/ good idea to add GT3 wing to Carrera 2S?