Sponsored by:

A/C Musty Smell?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
Default A/C Musty Smell?

I sometimes get a musty smell in my 2006. I don't drive it in the winter and only a few days a week in the summer so I thought maybe it was just not getting enough fresh air. Then I got this email from BMW and wondered if this could be the issue.

Have any of you noticed this or fixed it in your 997?

"Have you ever turned on the A/C or heater in your vehicle and smelled a musty or foul odor? According to the National Automotive Radiator Service Association, air quality inside a vehicle can be up to 5 times worse than outside. Several studies have cited fungal and mold infections as of the source of over 90 percent of chronic sinus problems. The EPA now classifies indoor airborne allergens as one of our most important environmental concerns. Contaminated air conditioning, or more specifically, contamination in the heater and evaporator core, can cause foul smelling and even health threatening mold and mildew deposits. When mold and fungus are sucked into the A/C of your vehicle, they land on a nice dark, damp surface (the evaporator and its enclosure) and begin to grow and proliferate.

Because A/C season is here again, we wanted to make this evaporator flush special available to all our customers. This service will clean mold and fungus from your BMW's evaporator core, so you can breathe easy again. We hope that you take advantage of this special."
Old 07-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

I had the same thing a couple of years ago. Took it into the dealer and they flushed the A/C with a chemical that stank for a few days after but since the smell has been fine.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:43 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Most modern day evaporators come from the factory covered with a thin nylon PORUS film into which an anti-microbial chemical is embedded to combat the thiving of the mould and mildew spores whose "leavings" result in the odor.

Discharging a good bit of lysol from a spray can into the pollen filter area, filter removed, with the blower set to the lowest speed and in "fresh" air inlet mode will provide a temporary cure. Repetitive applications, every 4-6 weeks, are often required depending on climate conditions.

Some newer luxury cars, Lexus LS series, have a UV light in the A/C plenum area to combat the growth of these spores/microbes.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:48 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the same issue with my Volvo wagon. Bought a can of A/C system treatment, forget the name, but I sprayed it into the air intake as directed and the smell was gone after a few days and the scent of the spray went away as well. I did notice a musty smell in my 997 the other day, much to my dismay.
In my Volvo S60 if moisture is detected in the system the blower comes on automatically and dries it out, even if the car is parked and locked. Wonder if our Pcars cars have the same.

Here's a link I found from a well-know mfr of car chemicals:
http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-...freshener.html
This stuff is sprayed into the cabin vents instead of the intake vent.
Never used it but I might try it.

There are several mfrs of this kind of spray out there. Checking with your
garage to see what they use is the best bet. (if they will tell you)
Old 07-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This stuff might be better than Lysol or maybe it's the same. I make it a practice to turn the AC off and the fan on high to evaporate the condensate in the AC system when I'm pulling in. I heard that this helps. I don't have any funky smells. If you replace your charcoal and hepa filter it may help.

Originally Posted by sullivas
Had the same issue with my Volvo wagon. Bought a can of A/C system treatment, forget the name, but I sprayed it into the air intake as directed and the smell was gone after a few days and the scent of the spray went away as well. I did notice a musty smell in my 997 the other day, much to my dismay.
In my Volvo S60 if moisture is detected in the system the blower comes on automatically and dries it out, even if the car is parked and locked. Wonder if our Pcars cars have the same.

Here's a link I found from a well-know mfr of car chemicals:
http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-...freshener.html
This stuff is sprayed into the cabin vents instead of the intake vent.
Never used it but I might try it.

There are several mfrs of this kind of spray out there. Checking with your
garage to see what they use is the best bet. (if they will tell you)
Old 07-18-2012, 04:01 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

I've posted threads about this and nothing works. I've tried several different chemical treatments on the intakes, replaced filters, had the dealer look at it. Nothing is plugged up, nothing is obstructed.

Even here in AZ where it is very, very dry heat you won't get the desired effect from simply turning off the A/C for that last 5 mins of driving before parking.

Sprays and stuff just temporarily cover up the smell.

The ONLY thing that I've noticed that improves it is when I do longer drives instead of shorter ones, the smell isn't as strong. In other words shorter drives with a lot of on/off cycles seems to make it worse. Wish I had a better answer.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:59 PM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

Same here, my 2006 BMW has the musty smell problem, used the Einszett Klima-Cleaner. OK for a bit then the smell comes back.

Interestingly enough I get all kinds of e-mail from BMW, but got nothing about fixing my AC issue

The real issue is that you cant really spray anything on the problem area without tearing the console apart
Old 07-18-2012, 05:19 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

I've been using the charcoal activated cabin air filters. Car is 4 yrs young with 52K miles. No smell so far. Anyone else using this one vs. the standard filter... just wondering if it has any true benefit as it does cost me more. Pelican has a good price though.
The following users liked this post:
Reed32258 (07-20-2020)
Old 07-18-2012, 10:21 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
This stuff might be better than Lysol or maybe it's the same. I make it a practice to turn the AC off and the fan on high to evaporate the condensate in the AC system when I'm pulling in. I heard that this helps. I don't have any funky smells. If you replace your charcoal and hepa filter it may help.
I do the same thing. About 5 mins before getting home I turn off the ac and let the blower dry out the system. This year is the worst in the Northeast however with the heat & humidity it seems.
Might try the charcoal filter.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:22 AM
sand8
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use the A/C cleaner from Subaru (after reading their forum). it has 2 parts: one for the evaporator - using drain tube, and the other for the intake and outlets. I used the intake/outlet part and working well so far. I will try to use the other part to clean the evaporator, but having difficulty finding the a/c drain tube under the car (need to remove all the under tray panels....).
http://parts.subaru.com/parts/2010/S...icleid=1444424
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: A/C Musty Smell?