Sponsored by:

911 addiction

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 07:58 PM
J. Kid
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 911 addiction

Found this website about a year and a half ago. Spent countless hours absorbing the vast wealth of information on this forum as an unregistered user. A bit mind boggling at 1st all the different forums and threads. After 6 months of mild addiction I became a registered user where I’ve been regularly reading and occasionally posting for the last year. Today I signed up as a paid member and thought I’d introduce myself.

4 years ago I bought a Boxster S that was a blast to drive but only drove it 1-2x per week as I tote around a bicycle frequently to group rides and races. I also realized I didn’t like all the attention that came with a red convertible. Everytime I had the top down it seemed like everyone stares at you. But I liked how the car drove and saw Porsche makes a bike rack so I thought I’d make it work by making it more practical... Should have listened when others said bike rack on the Boxster is LOUD. Top up it sounds like a hurricane. Top down looks super cool but ear plugs or going deaf before 40 are not my ideas of driving fun.

Did some research and heard rave reviews in car mags about the new Cayenne driving like a sports sedan. Plunked down my deposit on a six speed manual optioned just the way I wanted and had the longest 5 month wait of my life. Felt like a kid waiting for Christmas that never seemed to get closer. The wait was so long that convinced myself it was the perfect vehicle once it arrived. If I was into the luxury ride feel I probably would like it. After a month I was back online reading about cars.

It took a lot of trial and error until I realized 1. I don’t like convertibles 2. I don’t like SUV’s (if you don’t like a Porsche SUV you won’t like any SUV. 3. I don’t like owning a daily driver and a garage queen. 4. I love sports cars

Narrowed it down to M3 & Audi S4 and a 911 as a long shot. The wife liked the Cayenne and thought I was crazy to switch cars so soon. Thought she was going to kill me when I pulled into the driveway right behind her in an S4 overnight test drive. Even stuffed the bike in the boot with the rear wheel on to prove its practicality. She was mad initially but finally was OK with the idea of a sports sedan.

The next day I was ready to buy the S4 when I said I just need to test out that 997 back to back with the S4. The sound alone at start up had me giggling like a school boy, gave me goose bumps and made me want to run back into the dealership and hand them my wallet. I had every intension of just driving the 997 to rule it out so I would be sure I hadn’t made a mistake when I bought the S4. After 5 minutes with the car I finally “got it” about the 911. This car is in a completely different league as a sport sedan in terms of how it sounds and feels, I won’t get into performance arguments as that varies so much based on the year/model comparisons. I wasn’t prepared for how vast a difference these cars feel in terms of intimate but comfortable cabin size, shifter feel, brake feel, steering feedback, driving position & sound. In one short drive I learned more than I could reading a 100 car mag test articles about the 911. After the test drive I had no doubt the 911 was what I wanted.

The dealer only had one in stock. The test car was a 2012 c2S with a 104K sticker. The wife eventually said OK to the 911 but not at any price. This lead to a 8 day intensive search of CPO’d 997’s. A 5 hour road trip to NYC to look at 3 prospective cars . I Drove down in the Cayenne and drove back in automotive bliss all in the same day.

8 months later I still smile each time I turn the key.

I keep turning to Rennlist whenever I have a question or just want to learn a little more about these wonderful cars. I thought it was about time to join as a paid member.

I’m off now to the DE forum to learn more about helmets as I need one for the October DE at Watkins Glen.

Oh...I've spend enough time here to learn that any post about a car is useless without pics so here are a few

The old Boxster now in the hands of a friend

let the wife drive the car and eventually she says yes to new ones

short stint in a Cayenne

S4 has a nice big boot

Driving bliss

Old 07-11-2012, 08:14 PM
pilfjd
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enjoy, sounds like you already are. Are you located in upstate NY?
Old 07-11-2012, 08:24 PM
niner niner seven
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

funny comments, good to have you here
Old 07-11-2012, 08:27 PM
J. Kid
Rennlist Member

Rochester area
Old 07-11-2012, 08:36 PM
pilfjd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J. Kid
Rochester area
Ditto! Hope to see you around.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:56 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Congrats and welcome... love the car story.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:16 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Congratulation on the 997!
Old 07-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great story. I drove my last 997.1 with my bike on from Kansas City to Galveston, TX and back to do a Tri last year.

Traded the .1 up to a .2 but kept the rack. Love hauling a$$ with my bike strapped on.
Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2012, 11:33 PM
J. Kid
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
Great story. I drove my last 997.1 with my bike on from Kansas City to Galveston, TX and back to do a Tri last year.

Traded the .1 up to a .2 but kept the rack. Love hauling a$$ with my bike strapped on.
I like the bike rack fairing in your pic. Personally I find the bike rack doesn't make much noise at all below 75mph. Just a faint hint of a little extra wind noise. I was wondering if you found that the fairing had much of an effect? Maybe helpful while going fast on those 85mph speed limit roads in Texas? Definitely looks cool
Old 07-11-2012, 11:50 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good for you. Hope you enjoy the new ride.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:53 PM
J. Kid
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pilfjd
Ditto! Hope to see you around.
Glad to see there are some local people on Rennlist. I've started getting involved with Niagara PCA. Went to a brake tech session, attended a DE as a guest a few months ago to sit in on the classroom portion and to see what it was all about. Planning to do a few autocross events later this year and registered for my 1st DE in October. The local PCA seems very well organized with a great group of people. Trying to get the wife interested but she afraid of hurting the car. I guess that is better than her throwing it into a ditch at an obscene speed or having to stop her from doing burnouts
Old 07-12-2012, 12:10 AM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Congrats. I had a 2010 S4 for 2.5 years and it was a great car but I'm an ecstatic convert to a 997.2 PDK. Good to be back in a Porsche. : )
Old 07-12-2012, 12:17 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Great post !

Beware that DE is a dead end road leading towards either purchasing a GT3/RS or modding your 997.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Great post !

Beware that DE is a dead end road leading towards either purchasing a GT3/RS or modding your 997.
Way to funny Tim. Yes - great post and I fully agree with the intoxicating effect of the 911's. I cannot imagine driving anything else. I spend way too much time on this forum, 4 years later still love the sound of the car, and am always on the hunt for a new one. Maybe a GT3 RS would satisfy that itch. Let's see how it will take J. Kid to move into his second 911... .
Old 07-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Sorry to hijack. The car is lovely but what is the bike on the rack (brand)? Further, how about the wheels. They remind me of old Rolf's but what's intriguing is the alternating cross/parallel spoke pattern - I can't recall ever seeing that pattern.

Quick Reply: 911 addiction