Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Sports Exhaust for 997.1: opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 12:42 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by DDL24
Also, keep in mind, sometime people can open up to new things that they have never experienced before....just like sometime an acquired taste say cheese or other things. It can be stinky initially and if utilized approriately, it can be heavenly.
Then by all means... let's force it on them. In fact, I'm going to start farting in elevators. It's an acquired taste! Eventually the other people in the elevator will start to enjoy it just as much as I do! LOL.

mg over and out on this thread... see you next time.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:35 PM
Aquary
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sclemmons
I think I prefer the throttle map with it off.
Agreed. Throttle is ridiculously over-amplified at low speeds/off idle in Sport mode. If I'm doing a lot of stop / go driving, I sometimes turn sport mode off for that reason alone, even if I'd prefer to have the enhanced exhaust note "on"...
Old 07-01-2012, 12:33 AM
Dukec4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the factory PSE come with the goofy offsized tail tips?
Old 07-01-2012, 03:01 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
Just to offer what I'm sure will be a counter-opinion here...

PSE happened to be an option on the car I bought. I leave it off 99.9% of the time. It does everything people say it does. That is, it makes the engine louder. That's all.

Why anyone would spend extra money to make their car louder (and I think more annoying) is beyond me. What's the point? It doesn't increase horsepower. It doesn't make the car faster. It doesn't DO anything.

<rant>
Correction. PSE does do something. It allows P-car owners to show off the fact that they're driving a sports car. "Look at me! I'm driving a Porsche! I can wake up sleeping children from the street! BBBRROAR!" It annoys everyone except its owner.

PSE allows P-car drivers to come one step closer to being one of those kids driving modded civics with coffee can exhaust tips. Gimme a break.

I only turn on PSE when I'm purposely trying to be a dick with my car. If someone tries to race me; cuts me off; gives me the finger for no reason, etc. I turn on PSE and take off. Is it worth $3K as an add-on? No friggin' way.

I bought my car for the acceleration, handling and lines. Just as I don't like to be screamed at, I don't feel the need to impose all that noise on innocent bystanders.

Do unto others...
</rant>
Are they all like this in New Jersey?

To the OP...PSE is awesome. I'm the type of guy who will trade out multiple exhausts until I find one I like. I put the PSE on, disengaged the silent mode and the 911 in my garage sounds like a 911.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:03 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dukec4s
Does the factory PSE come with the goofy offsized tail tips?
No it comes with a nicer looking polished version of the factory tips, doesn't look aftermarket.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:38 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Para82
Are they all like this in New Jersey?

To the OP...PSE is awesome. I'm the type of guy who will trade out multiple exhausts until I find one I like. I put the PSE on, disengaged the silent mode and the 911 in my garage sounds like a 911.
OK....what's with the Jersey comment!

I've had my current car for about 2 years and I'm going to add an aftermarket exhaust this week because I'm tired on the relatively quiet ride.

Like MGordon I think enough people don't consider their impact on others and think about this before they act but I don't think a few seconds of exposure to a nice sounding car is going to annoy anyone. If I made them sit there and listen to it for 2 hours (like some people do with their screaming infants on airplanes) I could see the issue but a few seconds when you can't be sure it's even offensive..........c'mon. That's the extreme.

Tom
Old 07-01-2012, 04:07 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
OK....what's with the Jersey comment!

I've had my current car for about 2 years and I'm going to add an aftermarket exhaust this week because I'm tired on the relatively quiet ride.

Like MGordon I think enough people don't consider their impact on others and think about this before they act but I don't think a few seconds of exposure to a nice sounding car is going to annoy anyone. If I made them sit there and listen to it for 2 hours (like some people do with their screaming infants on airplanes) I could see the issue but a few seconds when you can't be sure it's even offensive..........c'mon. That's the extreme.

Tom
I agree. It's not like everything else out there is whisper quiet where a 911 with a perked up exhaust stands out. In fact, between Harleys, dump trucks, monster pickup trucks that rattle windows, commercial lawn mowers and tuned ricers we probably own some of the least obnoxious noise generators on the road. I can hear the UPS delivery truck a distance away from the inside of my house.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:51 PM
Edrozzy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, Jon asked the very question I had. Just bought my first Porsche since my 1980 911 SC that I bought new for $31k and sold 10 years later after 120,000 miles and needing a clutch, for $22k. Wish I still had it. But I digress, my new ride is a 06 997.1 S Cab w/o sport chrono. I found a dealer that sells the kit to add Sport mode and he confirmed that if I added the Porsche sport exhaust, the sport mode once installed could configure the exhaust even if installed later. You guys agree? If I can add the sound and use it or not as I chose, I think I may spring for it. This car is clean, well maintained, 30 k miles, not a mark on it. Does adding sport mode and or exhaust add significantly to sales value or not at all. Perhaps just makes for a faster sale when the time comes?
Thoughts?
Old 07-28-2016, 05:53 PM
Edrozzy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW, how do I add photo of my car to my profile, it was easy in PCA site.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:16 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I've read most of this thread and it seems to me some are over stating the volume of a modified exhaust. I have a complete Fabspeed setup and it is not noticeable. Have you ever heard a Ferrari idle or cruise down a street? They make more noise than my Carrera and are not obnoxious. I don't own a car to impress anyone rather I own it to have fun and I have no control or concern what others perceive as my motives for ownership.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:39 AM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old thread but some of the responses here are ridiculous. Is PSE or any aftermarket exhaust loud? Of course. But then the 911 has been "quieted down" at the expense of performance loss due to the graying of the 911 buying population. It's as simple as that. Middle aged men want to feel "racer" but can't handle the baggage that comes with it.

Racing is loud. It smells of gas and chemicals. Its dirty and exhausting. I know, I've done it for well over a decade. We've already beat the 811 to death by adding AC, plush leather seats, made it larger to accomodate our ever growing waist lines, heated steering wheels sunroofs GPS electroc steering and now some of you want to take away its voice. Way to kill the very thing you love.

You know instead of bickering about sound levels what you should really be complaining about? How about all these "gentlemen drivers" with no DE or track experience hurtling down public streets in a land missile they are not anywhere near qualified to operate but do so out of some form of crisis or as a status symbol and generally are a public safety hazard (disclaimer: I actually don't feel this way, just playing devil's advocate)? You would need an FIA International B license to race a 911 S in an FIA race, yet most 911 owners wouldnt even qualify for National C. Nobody's judging you for owning a 911, you are legally permitted to purchase and drive one, so why are you tring to impose your sensibilities on the subjective loudness on others.

Last edited by caymannyc; 01-14-2017 at 02:54 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:30 AM
07CarreraS
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 50 Posts

I had PSE installed over a month ago on my 997 for around $4,000ish total and to me it was well worth it. That drone once it hits over 3,000 is glorious. Oh so glorious!
Old 01-14-2017, 10:20 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

I did the center muffler bypass and gundo which essentially is pse full time. After my first real drive yesterday (finally dry n clear in canada) I would call it more of a Porsche acoustic enhancement modification. I can drive in normal mode with shifts below 2000rpm and its barely noticeable. In sports mode you only begin to notice it if you are light on the foot. Its when you become more throttle aggressive that the enhancement kicks in. It is nowhere like sitting beside a harley at a stop light nor a wee ricer peeping of from a light in downtown traffic. What I like about the set up is it looks oem and not some silly can sticking out my a$$ and or having it shake n wiggle at a stop light.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:34 PM
P_viruS85
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey guys quick question. How much is good price to sell my 06 sport exhaust?
reasonable price before shipping.

Also my PSE if i change to after market exhaust can i sell that as well? what work needs to be done?
Thanks, i appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Porsche Sports Exhaust for 997.1: opinions?