Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Sports Exhaust for 997.1: opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 01:50 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Using PSE more heavily imposes the car's noise on others -

That is a very revealing statement on your part. PSE = Noise? I think you are confusing loud and noise; they aren't the same. A noise is a disagreeable sound, and I find it incredible that any Porsche owner would look at the PSE exhaust sound as noise. As to your concern about annoying others with PSE, I have gotten nothing but thumbs up from anyone who has heard and seen me passing by. Moreover, PSE certainly meets any State's regulations regarding noise pollution.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:14 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

Let's take this one statement at a time:

Originally Posted by fast1
Using PSE more heavily imposes the car's noise on others -
A noise is a disagreeable sound, and I find it incredible that any Porsche owner would look at the PSE exhaust sound as noise.
It's not about how I interpret the sound. It's how other people interpret the sound. I'm trying to not impose on others. And I firmly believe that most people on the street would view the sound as "noise."

As to your concern about annoying others with PSE, I have gotten nothing but thumbs up from anyone who has heard and seen me passing by.
That's a pretty strong statement, since you pass by (and/or are within earshot) of HUNDREDS of people when you drive. To think that you get more than 2 or 3 "thumbs up" per drive, let alone hundreds of them is more than a little far-fetched. The few people who appreciate the engine sound might give you a thumbs up. Anyone else you have no idea about. To assume they all think you're such a great guy for roaring past them is just silly.

Moreover, PSE certainly meets any State's regulations regarding noise pollution.
Then of course it in no way intrudes on other people, right? Ever spend time under an airport flight approach path? I'm sure all that jet "exhaust sound" adheres to state regulations. Nevertheless, houses under the flight path are cheaper than comparative houses in other places. Why? Because the noise intrudes on their lives.

Most people don't give a hoot about what car they drive nor do they have an "appreciation" for a sports car's exhaust note symphony. They just want to live their lives in peace, without being intruded on by other people.

If you're on the highway, by all means, turn on the PSE and go crazy. But in town tone it down.

For the record, I also like the exhaust sound PSE gives out. I simply choose not to force it on others unless they ask for it. Maybe, in your head, everyone is already "asking for it." That's something you might want to work through.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:22 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
Maybe, in your head, everyone is already "asking for it." That's something you might want to work through.
By the way fast1 - I'm just joking with this last statement. Couldn't resist. I'm sure you're a good guy. Just having a spirited discussion... No actual insult intended.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:47 PM
DDL24
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By the way fast1 - I'm just joking with this last statement. Couldn't resist. I'm sure you're a good guy. Just having a spirited discussion... No actual insult intended.
mgordon18,

Maybe you live in a congested city that you drive by many people on the street all the time. So you are very considerate to not bother other people with excessive engine exhaust sound. however, many live in rural area that has mostly beautiful two lane road and not many people around and open up the porsche sound won't bother people.

Also, keep in mind, sometime people can open up to new things that they have never experienced before....just like sometime an acquired taste say cheese or other things. It can be stinky initially and if utilized approriately, it can be heavenly. people may not like the sound but doens't mean they will hate it either. In some way, it's like all the ugly chicks are encouraged to wear a mask to make our surrounding more pleasent. but you know it will never happen and we all just get use to it.....cheers.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts
Default PSE

Heres my take after reading 34 posts already.
I had an 08 T4S w PSE. It was great. I traded that for a Cab C4S, but HAD to put Gundo Hack because I missed the sound. A great deal, so I traded again for a TT which is way too quiet.
After buying and selling 3 different exhausts for the TT, nothing sounds right to me except PSE or Gundo on a 4s. My T4S has PSE, and I love it.
Its not loud, sounds GREAT, sometimes I switch it off when my Dads in the car.
Attached Images     
Old 06-28-2012, 06:51 PM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Farfelc2s
Heres my take after reading 34 posts already.
I had an 08 T4S w PSE. It was great. I traded that for a Cab C4S, but HAD to put Gundo Hack because I missed the sound. A great deal, so I traded again for a TT which is way too quiet.
After buying and selling 3 different exhausts for the TT, nothing sounds right to me except PSE or Gundo on a 4s. My T4S has PSE, and I love it.
Its not loud, sounds GREAT, sometimes I switch it off when my Dads in the car.
Could you compare GUNDO vs. PSE in terms of sound since you have had cars with both??. I'm about to drop some coin to fit PSE to my 08 C4S but have been thinking about GUNDO instead. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GUNDO;

I used 1 3/4in pipe, the sound is almost identical.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:13 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the money, it makes much more sense to replace the stock, very restrictive catalytic convertors with aftermarket 200 cpi parts. Half of the muffling is done by the catalytics. They produce more power, also, which the mufflers really don't do. Half the cost and no wiring modifications. I have also seen advertised Fabspeed mufflers with cutouts that are actuated with a wireless device for around $2K.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:18 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

When I first began to frequent these pages I paid attention to what the members were ordering on their 997s. As I was preparing to order a new 997S I wanted to get it right the first time. I noticed then that many were kicking themselves for not ordering the factory installed PSE. It could be added, for a price, later, but it was at the time about $1000 more to add later.

I'm extremely happy with the PSE on my 997.1S Cabriolet. Insiders at the factory suggest that cabriolets are designed to have a better acoustic package than the coupes. Clearly, cab owners are seeking enhanced acoustics as a part of their driving experience. I have to agree. I believe it was one of the best investments along with the PCCBs. I run the PSE on about 95% of the time. Having the Sport Chrono option it also kicks in the more aggressive throttle--also very nice. The switch is handy when sneaking back into my neighborhood at 2 am or when passing an alert cop sitting at the side of the road with his ticket book out. Otherwise, it's generally always on.

The Gundo hack leaves the 'boy racer' mode on all the time. The price is right, however.

The factory PSE imposes a factory mandated (actually, a Swiss noise abatement mandate from between 45 and 75 kph) which seems to come at a bad time when it comes to appreciating the engine--but I live with it.

Despite having probably worse mileage (because of that darn PSE) I love it!
Old 06-29-2012, 12:06 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Let's take this one statement at a time:

It's not about how I interpret the sound. It's how other people interpret the sound. I'm trying to not impose on others. And I firmly believe that most people on the street would view the sound as "noise."

That's a pretty strong statement, since you pass by (and/or are within earshot) of HUNDREDS of people when you drive. To think that you get more than 2 or 3 "thumbs up" per drive, let alone hundreds of them is more than a little far-fetched. The few people who appreciate the engine sound might give you a thumbs up. Anyone else you have no idea about. To assume they all think you're such a great guy for roaring past them is just silly.

Then of course it in no way intrudes on other people, right? Ever spend time under an airport flight approach path? I'm sure all that jet "exhaust sound" adheres to state regulations. Nevertheless, houses under the flight path are cheaper than comparative houses in other places. Why? Because the noise intrudes on their lives.

Most people don't give a hoot about what car they drive nor do they have an "appreciation" for a sports car's exhaust note symphony. They just want to live their lives in peace, without being intruded on by other people.

If you're on the highway, by all means, turn on the PSE and go crazy. But in town tone it down.

For the record, I also like the exhaust sound PSE gives out. I simply choose not to force it on others unless they ask for it. Maybe, in your head, everyone is already "asking for it." That's something you might want to work through.
I apprecite you being so sensitive about others. That's a quality and not a vice, but it has its bounds since some people may object to even the mellow exhaust sounds of a 997 without PSE. If you listen to a 997 with PSE at high rpm in a confined area like a closed service area, it can get quite loud. But if you are in an open space where the sound is dissipated, it is far from loud IMO. In my case I live in the country and believe me a 997 with PSE presents no sound problems because of the huge amounts of open space.

I'm not certain what you mean by your comment about "people asking for it." I don't see activating my PSE as some sort of punishment to be inflicted on others.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:28 PM
svb
Racer

Originally Posted by Edgy01
When I first began to frequent these pages I paid attention to what the members were ordering on their 997s. As I was preparing to order a new 997S I wanted to get it right the first time. I noticed then that many were kicking themselves for not ordering the factory installed PSE. It could be added, for a price, later, but it was at the time about $1000 more to add later.

I'm extremely happy with the PSE on my 997.1S Cabriolet. Insiders at the factory suggest that cabriolets are designed to have a better acoustic package than the coupes. Clearly, cab owners are seeking enhanced acoustics as a part of their driving experience. I have to agree. I believe it was one of the best investments along with the PCCBs. I run the PSE on about 95% of the time. Having the Sport Chrono option it also kicks in the more aggressive throttle--also very nice. The switch is handy when sneaking back into my neighborhood at 2 am or when passing an alert cop sitting at the side of the road with his ticket book out. Otherwise, it's generally always on.

The Gundo hack leaves the 'boy racer' mode on all the time. The price is right, however.

The factory PSE imposes a factory mandated (actually, a Swiss noise abatement mandate from between 45 and 75 kph) which seems to come at a bad time when it comes to appreciating the engine--but I live with it.

Despite having probably worse mileage (because of that darn PSE) I love it!
If you disable the "switch" for PSE is the 45-75kph silence mode still in effect? Thanks.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Ideally, you won't spend a lot of time between 45 and 75 kpm. However, if you pull the plug on top of the engine it's my understanding that the PSE is on all the time--with no attenuation for the Swiss rules.

Many of us on the Rennlist have wondered why Porsche didn't allow us to simply default the PSE to the ON position, instead of having to select it each time. Once you understand the design of the PSE system you will better understand why they did what they did.

The PSE relies upon a couple of valves to divert air. If these things (which are ultimately mechanical) are not allowed to exercise periodically, they can perhaps seize in whatever position they are in. If you use the PSE--having it on, when you shut down the engine at the end of the drive, the PSE valve will close again, exercising the valve. When you start the engine up the next time you will have to push the button to get PSE on again. Once you push that button, the valves will change their position and divert the air. All mechanical devices benefit from periodic exercise to maintain that capability at any moment in the future. If you pull the plug and leave that disabled, there is a good chance that the valves will not close later when you want them to. We have seen this several times with the 997 PSE.

Feel free to do an advanced search here on the 997 Forum because this topic has been hit many times over the years.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:33 PM
svb
Racer

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Ideally, you won't spend a lot of time between 45 and 75 kpm. However, if you pull the plug on top of the engine it's my understanding that the PSE is on all the time--with no attenuation for the Swiss rules.

Many of us on the Rennlist have wondered why Porsche didn't allow us to simply default the PSE to the ON position, instead of having to select it each time. Once you understand the design of the PSE system you will better understand why they did what they did.

The PSE relies upon a couple of valves to divert air. If these things (which are ultimately mechanical) are not allowed to exercise periodically, they can perhaps seize in whatever position they are in. If you use the PSE--having it on, when you shut down the engine at the end of the drive, the PSE valve will close again, exercising the valve. When you start the engine up the next time you will have to push the button to get PSE on again. Once you push that button, the valves will change their position and divert the air. All mechanical devices benefit from periodic exercise to maintain that capability at any moment in the future. If you pull the plug and leave that disabled, there is a good chance that the valves will not close later when you want them to. We have seen this several times with the 997 PSE.

Feel free to do an advanced search here on the 997 Forum because this topic has been hit many times over the years.
Dan, as always thank you for your expert insight...very useful info.

This thread has ultimatedly sparked my decision to have my dealer retrofit the PSE to my 08 C4S. With the 991 out now, the word is that the 997.1 PSE and other specialty options will soon be NLA from Porsche, so I'm getting while the getting is good, despite the cost. To me it is worth every penny.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:35 PM
Aquary
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the PSE because:
1) It sounds great
2) It can be switched "off"

For me, the on vs. off runs about 50/50. There are just a lot of times where I'm in "mental mode" during my drive that I don't want to be bothered by loud exhaust, or when I'm leaving for work at 500 AM and don't want to wake up/irritate my neighbors, etc. that it's nice to be able to turn it off.

One aspect I don't like is the DME controlled speed aspect of it. The abruptness with which it goes from throaty to silence at a certain speed just makes the whole experience seem a bit "fake". If there's a way to disable the speed based aspect of it such that it's ON all the time, or OFF all the time via the switch, I'd love to hear it.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:38 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have it on my car, but I rarely use it. My car sounds good with it turned off, and I think I prefer the throttle map with it off. On my next car, I intend to skip the Aero kit and the PSE and get the PCCB's. Light is might. And often cheaper.

Quick Reply: Porsche Sports Exhaust for 997.1: opinions?