Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inspection: bad horn, climate system malfunction, how to change running lights??

Old 05-05-2012, 07:09 PM
sy308
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Inspection: bad horn, climate system malfunction, how to change running lights??

Took car to dealer tech inspection for club members.

Problem: One horn not functioning. Tech presumes horn issue and says bumper needs to be removed in order to inspect and correct. Must I remove bumper in order to repair???

Problem: Climate control starts up 69F AC on winter or summer. Tech $ays thi$ is abnormal. He is 90% $ure control module need$ replacement. Any info on how to reset this to some other value or am I facing a major bill??? By the way, the system seems to operate properly when I change to something else, it just on its own comes on this way when the car starts, I can change it appropriately and see no other malfunction.

Problem/Question: Can I turn off running lights/headlights from automatically always ON to On by switch only. Tech "thinks" so but will have to "poke" around in computer codes in order to accomplish. Any ideas on this, possible or not???

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Horn is behind the bumper cover as far as I know.

Climate control, not sure what is happening from your description. Can you explain again. The heat and A/C should both be running to maintain the appropriate temperature and a reasonable humidity of the air unless you turn the A/C off manually with the button designated for that purpose.

Are you saying that no mater what temperature you had the climate control system set to, once you restart the car, it always starts with a temperature setting of 69 degrees? If so, that is a problem, as it should retain the temperature you had set it to when you turned the car off. I'm assuming there isn't another electrical problem like dead battery or other oddness that could be causing controllers to reset.

Daytime running lights can be programed for how they should function. If you have the Sport Chrono option, and your country code allows it, you can select some behaviors, such as not having the DRL on, or having them on. Without that option, someone(dealer, etc) with a PIWIS can program that setting. I'm not sure if the 'home' or some other headlight switch position would then turn them on or if they are just not used and you only end up with all off or headlights on as the two states of illumination.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The horn malfunction is a common issue - mine was replaced under warranty.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:18 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

With Sport Chrono I'm able to set the start-up cabin temperature as part of my "individual memory" setup. It may even be the same screen with the DRL settings. No matter what temp the system is set at when I turn off the engine, it always starts back up at my preset temp. It's key-based, too, so my wife can set her own with her key.

After I put the kids to bed tonight I'll check for the actual screen path.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:50 AM
sy308
Racer

Originally Posted by Minok

Are you saying that no mater what temperature you had the climate control system set to, once you restart the car, it always starts with a temperature setting of 69 degrees? If so, that is a problem, as it should retain the temperature you had set it to when you turned the car off. I'm assuming there isn't another electrical problem like dead battery or other oddness that could be causing controllers to reset.

Daytime running lights can be programed for how they should function. If you have the Sport Chrono option, and your country code allows it, you can select some behaviors, such as not having the DRL on, or having them on. Without that option, someone(dealer, etc) with a PIWIS can program that setting. I'm not sure if the 'home' or some other headlight switch position would then turn them on or if they are just not used and you only end up with all off or headlights on as the two states of illumination.
Exactly. No matter what temp/setting climate control is when turning off, it starts up 69F AC/ON with floor and mid vents activated. Battery fine.

Sport Chrono is confusing. Not sure I have the option, it comes in different levels or mine malfunctions. I have the sport chrono clock and have looked at the display but keys have no memory storage that I can see. That is, the memory position is not selectable or highlighted when moving the display around. Well at least key #2 does not have memory and that is the one I use.

Thanks for the assistance. I hope this is clear now.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:33 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sy308
Exactly. No matter what temp/setting climate control is when turning off, it starts up 69F AC/ON with floor and mid vents activated. Battery fine.

Sport Chrono is confusing. Not sure I have the option, it comes in different levels or mine malfunctions. I have the sport chrono clock and have looked at the display but keys have no memory storage that I can see. That is, the memory position is not selectable or highlighted when moving the display around. Well at least key #2 does not have memory and that is the one I use.

Thanks for the assistance. I hope this is clear now.
IIRC, on the PCM select "Main" then "Settings" and you should see individual memory options - DRL, door locking, etc. That's where you'll find the setting that allows climate control, radio, etc. to always come up with the last setting you select.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:27 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by sy308
Problem: One horn not functioning. Tech presumes horn issue and says bumper needs to be removed in order to inspect and correct. Must I remove bumper in order to repair???
From what I recall the front fascia(bumper) will need to be removed to access the horn. That can be a major project and PITA if it's your 1st time. The horns are located on the passenger side just right of the radiator and behind the radiator air funnel/dam. Here's a write up I did previously re the add of the 3rd radiator. It has links to other helpful DIY postings for front fascia removal should you wish to DIY. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...il-filter.html

Name:  P1020071.JPG
Views: 1365
Size:  167.4 KB

Name:  P1020072.JPG
Views: 500
Size:  163.1 KB

Name:  P1020074.JPG
Views: 757
Size:  166.4 KB

BTW, there are two horns in there. If one is still working and it sounds OK then you may want to just live with it as is for now. When both fail then have them both replaced at that point.

This last pic is just for reference as the horns are on the other side... could not remove the pic via editing the post for some reason.
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2012, 07:40 AM
sy308
Racer

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
From what I recall the front fascia(bumper) will need to be removed to access the horn. That can be a major project and PITA if it's your 1st time. The horns are located on the passenger side just right of the radiator and behind the radiator air funnel/dam. Here's a write up I did previously re the add of the 3rd radiator. It has links to other helpful DIY postings for front fascia removal should you wish to DIY. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...il-filter.html

BTW, there are two horns in there. If one is still working and it sounds OK then you may want to just live with it as is for now. When both fail then have them both replaced at that point.

This last pic is just for reference as the horns are on the other side... could not remove the pic via editing the post for some reason.
Wow, thanks. It looks like a worthwhile project if I am going to add the third radiator at the same time. I have thought of doing that actually. My neighbor across the street has a lift, this will help me. I am going to study this more and may contact you later on for extra pointers.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:45 AM
sy308
Racer

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
IIRC, on the PCM select "Main" then "Settings" and you should see individual memory options - DRL, door locking, etc. That's where you'll find the setting that allows climate control, radio, etc. to always come up with the last setting you select.
Super for your directions on this. I was able to make the changes in my key for the first time. Previously, I tried to do this with the ignition off, but I notice the ignition needs to be ON to actually program and read programming off the key. Not only can I change the climate control but I can turn the running lights on or off based on the key.

What really worries me is the dealer, after looking at the car and the tech sitting in the front seat playing with the climate control, told me they were 90% sure the climate module needed to be replaced and needed to change code in order to turn the running lights off.

Since this car is so new to me, I have not yet been able to understand all its functions. Thank you.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

With these cars, when you get them, it is always a good idea to READ the ENTIRE manual.

Yeah, its big, but as you go through, note and copy to a separate pad of paper, key thinks that strike you as important to you. Because finding them again later means you need to know under what section Porsche may have stored it in the manual.. though the index does work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Inspection: bad horn, climate system malfunction, how to change running lights??