Sponsored by:

Costco auto insurance ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 02:01 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Costco auto insurance ?

Anyone gone with this. I have Liberty mutual and it's up for renewal. Curious if any here have switched to Costco. I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:10 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

Good topic. I always wondered what is supposed to be the 'best' car insurance. I've had Farmers for years. Good rates and fortunately not had to find out how good their accident coverage is. $1033/yr $1k deductible for 2011 Cayenne. Have home and three cars insured with them with clean record.

Someone scratched my bumper and they used their USAA insurance. They were awesome to work with on my end but I'm not in the military. I've heard good reviews from them.

A friend uses Chubb on their home insurance. Cost more but they seem to believe they will be better protected if a real issue comes up. At the same time they use Geico for auto and they were disappointed with a recent auto claim they had. They would not provide OEM parts.

Allstate seems to have some serious marketing money and seems to cost more. I'd like to know how they are when it's time to file a claim.

Last edited by daddyscar; 01-20-2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: added premium
Old 01-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I've had no experience with Costco, but have been quite happy with Mercury. A couple of years ago we had a fender bender in my wife's departed Toyota Highlander where the other driver clipped me making an illegal turn in an intersection. The car was only 1 month old at the time and Mercury bent over backwards to make sure everything with a hint of damage was completely replaced with new OEM pieces. They didn't even charge me my deductible, but went after the other driver's insurance instead. Under the circumstances, it was as hassel free as could be imagined. BTW, I'm paying $750/yr for coverage on my Carrera which I think is pretty reasonable.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:01 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Mike that's a great rate for a 997. With all the discounts (multi-car, home insurance etc) I am paying $1100 with a 1k. deductible on both the 997 and 958) and little less (900 and odd on the wife's MINI and the 911 3.2) Ugh .. Mercury is not available in state of WA.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 158 Posts

We've been with Allstate for many years, enjoying the "discounts" afforded by also having our homeowner's policy with them.

Had an intersection get-together with my MINI Cooper S in 2010 (not my fault) which ballooned from an original estimate of $3k to over $14k when finally, fully repaired. My Allstate guy was very easy to deal with through the whole, long ordeal, but he confided the company would have "totaled" the vehicle had they known it was going to cost that much to repair it.

When the car was completely fixed (pretty much good-as-new, BTW), Allstate went after the guilty party's insurance company and recovered my deductible. Nice.

I know they're not the cheapest, but I'm not sure "cheapest" is what you should be looking for in an insurance company, necessarily. Good service is important, when you need it.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Mike that's a great rate for a 997. With all the discounts (multi-car, home insurance etc) I am paying $1100 with a 1k. deductible on both the 997 and 958) and little less (900 and odd on the wife's MINI and the 911 3.2) Ugh .. Mercury is not available in state of WA.
Not to make you feel worse, Amar, but my C & C deductible is $500 (I also have the multi-car/homeowner/good driver discounts). But then I do have a few years on you. Perhaps one of the (very) few advantages, of being classified as an "older" driver.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:56 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the insurance companies play a bit of a game... They get you to switch with low rates, and then for each renewal, slightly raise them. I was loyal to Allstate for 21 years (gasp) and just this past year decided to shop around. I have three Porsches and Land Rover. My 6 month auto premium with Allstate (including a discount for Allstate homeowners) was $1623 - and that included taking collison off of two of the 911s while the were stored in the winter. I switched to Progressive in July (auto only), and paid $961 for full coverage on all four cars. The renewal just came up, and Progressive is now now asking for $1061. I have had zero tickets and zero claims in the past two years.

My new plan is to look once a year at rates... It took me about 4 hours one evening in June to check all the online offers. Not a bad investment every 12 months...

Good luck.
-Blake
Old 01-26-2012, 11:13 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

w00T - so what insurance did you end up getting?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:36 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Wanted the good karma (never claimed anything in the last 5 yrs) going. Hence stuck with Liberty Mutual. No change in rate for the past three years.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:25 AM
gLaMcamiLLe
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

An article recently posted something about car insurance. It says there that the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has launched its yearly survey of vehicles that are behind the most expensive auto insurance claims, such as both damage claims and injury claims. The most expensive car to repair is, not surprisingly, a Ferrari, and the injury leaders are all subcompacts. Have you been looking to sell or purchase a new or used van? If this portrays you, don’t go anywhere else before you research Gus Johnson Ford. Want to know find out more about Gus Johnson Ford? Learn more here!

Old 09-25-2012, 10:55 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

We've used Allstate over the past 25 yrs to cover our cars(5), home, and umbrella policy with good result.

Vehicles Claims in chronological order:
- Mazda Protege(323) suffered from neighborhood kids fly ball. My agent arranged for replacement of the windshield while I was traveling on business... very happy wife.
- 4Runner crushed trunk of Honda Accord... my fault doing a right turn at stop light. Not sure what it cost to repair the Honda but the 4Runner grill guard was undamaged.
- BMW E36 M3 for flood damage ($14K) and t-bone at an intersection ($17K)... they recovered my deductible from the driver at fault. He tried to claim that he did not run the red light.
- Toyota Tundra for body panel damage ($6K) self inflicted by my older son ($6K)... concrete gas pump barrier won
- Lexus GX-470 for rear bumper ($1K)... they also recovered my deductible from the driver at fault. Driver was uninsured and provided an expired license. They seem to have good investigators.

Home Claims:
- Replaced wood flooring due to water damage ($12K)... now have steel water lines on my washing machine.
- Replaced roof due to hail damage ($10K)

So $66K in claims paid out over 25 yrs not to mention the at one accident at my fault with the 4Runner. Have not had any issues making claims with the exception of one... my prior M3 had engine damage which was not recognized in the original assessment so the repairs jumped from $7K to $17K. The adjuster should have totaled the car. I had to discuss the engine/repair/replacement with his manager... quote from the manager: you've been our customer for the past 20 yrs. I don't care if the engine damage occurred before or after the accident... we'll take care of it. I don't believe that Allstate is typically the cheapest carrier, however, I did a comparison years back when we needed the umbrella policy. USAA was the obvious baseline as I'm former military. USAA was actually a little steeper. Go figure. Without the umbrella, however, USAA was much better. We stuck with Allstate. I like knowing my agent. I take him out to lunch twice a year to review our account and socialize.

Note: I kept my 20 yrs old 4Runner which we've assigned towards my youngest son(18 yrs old). Saves me $850/yr.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:31 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Costco insurance is through American Express or Ameriprise and I have had them since 2004. I pay $250 per year for my 2006 Carrera, one of four cars. Also, home insurance is through them. They are very good with claims too.

I highly recommend them.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyscar

A friend uses Chubb on their home insurance. Cost more but they seem to believe they will be better protected if a real issue comes up.
Absolutely true. It's not possible for a company to be more insured-friendly. But it is dramatically more expensive. I am on my third 50-year roof in four years.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:54 AM
PHX 911
Official Rennlist Snake Slayer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I pay $700 for 6 months for 4 vehicles through Progressive.
2008 Avalon
2008 MDX
2009 C2S
2013 F150

$500 deductible, and something like $250K, $500k, $250k.
Never had a claim with them, so can't comment on customer service, but maybe that's why my rate is $700.
2 drivers in the household btw, so the Porsche and the truck are classified differently, as casual use.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:28 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

To pile on to Amar's thread. What insurance carrier does not Exclude DE events from Coverage. I have StateFarm and they have a clause that says they do not cover. I would love to insure my 996 somewhere that covers even if more expensive rather than doing both State Farm and HPDE insurance. I must pay ABOUT $2k Just for the one car.

Quick Reply: Costco auto insurance ?