Sponsored by:

Very cool Christophorus iPad app

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Very cool Christophorus iPad app

I just downloaded the free Christophorus magazine iPad app. Wow. All of the content of the magazine including imbedded video, presented in a way that takes full advantage of the iPad's interactive capabilities. This would be a great way for people who don't have a subscription to get the content and even if you have one like I do, it's still very cool. The current and most recent prior editions are available in German, International and U.S. English. Highly recommended.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Still 90% high end 'watch' ads on the app version?

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 01-05-2012, 10:00 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, it's not like they can fill it with car ads!
Old 01-05-2012, 10:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Still 90% high end 'watch' ads on the app version?
Yeah, plus at least one one watch ad that I looked at (for Rolex's Tudor brand) was presented with a brief video too!
Old 01-05-2012, 10:30 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

They should provide it as a browser-based application. Not everyone wants an iPad. Here is a new interesting magazine (Ferdinand) available both as an iOS or browser-based application:

The magazine - http://app.ferdinandmagazine.com/

The website - http://ferdinandmagazine.com/
Old 01-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by ADias
They should provide it as a browser-based application. Not everyone wants an iPad.
Ferdinand is presented in much the same way as other browser based magazines that I've seen. (Thanks Tony for posting the link, BTW) I must say though, that the Christophorus iPad app is very slick, with seamless interactive integration of text, pictures and video that I've not seen before in online magazines. FWIW, my iPad 2 was a surprise Christmas gift from my wife; I'd never thought to buy one for myself but I'm really enjoying it.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:19 PM
sfrank
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GTPorsche Magazine and Total 911 magazines are also available on the ipad. Good stuff.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:19 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Ferdinand is presented in much the same way as other browser based magazines that I've seen. (Thanks Tony for posting the link, BTW) I must say though, that the Christophorus iPad app is very slick, with seamless interactive integration of text, pictures and video that I've not seen before in online magazines. FWIW, my iPad 2 was a surprise Christmas gift from my wife; I'd never thought to buy one for myself but I'm really enjoying it.
My wife bought herself an iPad for Christmas. I don't use it much so have no clue how to find this app. How do you download the Christophorus iPad app?
Old 01-06-2012, 12:58 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
My wife bought herself an iPad for Christmas. I don't use it much so have no clue how to find this app. How do you download the Christophorus iPad app?
Select the "App store" icon on the desktop. Touch the search field at the upper right and start to type the word Christophorus. Even before you've finshed typing, the result Porsche Christophorus Magazine should appear. Select it, then select the free button and then the install button. At this point you'll need to enter your wife's Apple password. After entering the password, the app will start to install. When done, you'll have a new Christophorus icon. When you select it, a choice of issues and languages will appear. Download the one you want, which will take a bit depending on your connection speed. The next time you enter the app you won't have to download the issue again and it will remember where you were in the magazine. Good luck!
Old 01-06-2012, 01:34 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

I understand the iPad. I work with it and a few others, but for my personal use I prefer a, light, general purpose machine, such as a good MacBook Pro (or a decent Windows machine). iOS is slick but limited by its own idiosyncrasies (but that is a whole other conversation).

A browser based application can be as slick as a a touchpad-based one. The iPad being the current fad will attract a lot of content, but there's no reason the same content cannot be available in other platforms - HTML5 runs fine in modern browsers (or Flash if Jobs had not killed it in one of his last crusades).
Old 01-06-2012, 03:53 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by ADias
I understand the iPad. I work with it and a few others, but for my personal use I prefer a, light, general purpose machine, such as a good MacBook Pro (or a decent Windows machine). iOS is slick but limited by its own idiosyncrasies (but that is a whole other conversation).

A browser based application can be as slick as a a touchpad-based one. The iPad being the current fad will attract a lot of content, but there's no reason the same content cannot be available in other platforms - HTML5 runs fine in modern browsers (or Flash if Jobs had not killed it in one of his last crusades).
Didn't mean to imply that the iPad was unfamiliar to you, Tony. You're right that the same content can be and sometimes is available across all platforms, but it's also true that much of the cool new stuff, for good or ill, is showing up for the "current fad" media. Personally, I use a Windows desktop and laptop, and now the iPad too, depending on the circumstances. Trying to cover most of the bases.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:30 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

Yeah Mike, the iPad magazine apps are awesome. I moving that way as soon as I can for all my magazine subscriptions. So much richer than the paper form and better than browser IMHO. I also recently got the Christophorus app and like it. I also have a couple other mags.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I have the App. It is pretty cool. And I'll never use it again. I can skim through the hard copy, reading what I want and be done with it in half the time it takes me to get through the App. The extra information, graphics, videos, etc. and "Gee Whiz" factor are just not worth my time. I'd rather read your opinions and what youall have to say about your new GTS or DRL's, etc. with my extra time than navigate through an App shilling all things Porsche (oh, and high end watches/jewelry as well).
Old 01-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 158 Posts

Sadly, the days of the printed magazine are numbered. The advent of e-readers (iPads, Kindles, etc.) has already turned the book publishing business on its ear, and magazines are not far behind.
With the USPS cutting back on service and no longer guaranteeing timely delivery of periodicals, more magazines are going to be electronically published, eventually giving up the hard-copy option entirely.
The Christophorus app is neat (especially since it allows ANYONE access to the magazine at no charge) but, many other magazine apps are still coming of age.
Interesting times for those in the publishing industry.
Wait 'til Apple announces what they've got planned for the text book industry!
Old 01-06-2012, 11:59 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

There is quite a bit of sensory overload with all the promos for the 991. Porsche has done a fantastic job. Very nice apps, both the ferdinand and christophorus.

Quick Reply: Very cool Christophorus iPad app