Sponsored by:

radio/nav won't turn on

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 10:41 AM
jonah5
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio/nav won't turn on

Hi. I've got a 2006 997s, 6-speed manual, 22,000miles and thus far no problems whatsoever (bought it used with 8000miles). Anyway, I started it this morning to go to work, and noticed the radio wasn't on (I never turn it off) and it wouldn't turn on. The info display on the dash read "nav". The only thing I could get it to do was to eject the CD that was inside, and I was also able to insert it back in, so it seems it's getting "some" power. I'm hoping it's just a fuse issue, but haven't had time yet to check it out (I'm at work). I was wondering if anyone else had any issues with their radio going out on them like this for no reason. BTW, the radio was working perfectly fine yesterday and was listening to it when I turned off the engine in the garage last night. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 12-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Only thing you can do at this juncture is to pull the fuse and reboot.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:48 AM
jonah5
Cruisin'

Well, looked at the fuses this morning and since they were were difficult to see if they'd blown or not, I took them out one at a time to look. The obvious ones for the nav/telephone/pcm were all ok, so I checked some of the other fuses which were all ok as well. Now I have another problem: PASM failure! I checked the fuses again-same warning and radio still dead as a doorknob. Guess I'll have to take the dreaded trip to the shop (an independent-I can't stand the attitudes I've seen at the local dealers). Keeping my fingers crossed for a cheap fix since it's out of warrantly.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:53 AM
jonah5
Cruisin'

Took another look-there's a shock absorber symbol alongside the PASM failure warning.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Don't sweat the PASM failure. Once you drive the car a little bit it should self-cure. It has to run a little (movement) to get itself sorted out.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:38 PM
jonah5
Cruisin'

Just an update on my problem-two days after the radio malfunction, the car wouldn't start because of a weak battery. After 2 hrs on the battery tender, it started and was able to bring it to a local shop: dx-dead battery which was replaced; the radio unfortunately had 'internal' issues so I brought it to local Porsche dealer where they dx'd a dead radio (they didn't think it was related to the battery issue, but I beg to differ just because of the timing). Anyway, the replacement cost me a whopping $2100 with tax! I considered an aftermarket radio, but it sounded way too difficult and also expensive because of the proprietary Porsche wiring, etc; so I stuck with the factory radio/nav. Oh well, at least that's the only issue I've had so far in three years of ownership. Made me wonder if I should've bought a warranty, although it's questionable whether or not they would've covered the radio. The guys at the dealer said it has happened very infrequently (radio/nav malfunction), but assured me that overall the Porsche is very reliable overall...we'll see.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:17 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, I think that PCM failures are sort of common. Mine died at 20K miles (05 car). Started by eating a CD, then would try to eject a non existent CD continually even with the car off and the key out. Killed the battery. Amazingly, the dealer was able to get PCNA to kick in half the cost of a new one. The car had no warranty at the time and was around a year and a half beyond factory warranty time period.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:21 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by McCulla
Actually, I think that PCM failures are sort of common. Mine died at 20K miles (05 car). Started by eating a CD, then would try to eject a non existent CD continually even with the car off and the key out. Killed the battery. Amazingly, the dealer was able to get PCNA to kick in half the cost of a new one. The car had no warranty at the time and was around a year and a half beyond factory warranty time period.
Mine just went and had to be replaced on Friday....13,000 miles!

Tom
Old 12-20-2011, 02:24 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

As far as I know, an extended warranty will not cover such things. They're usually restricted to things that are more basic mechanical things like engines, trannys, a/c, and so on. Creature comforts are probably out.

Quick Reply: radio/nav won't turn on