Sponsored by:

TPMS and aftermarket rims

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 01:55 PM
drum19go
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS and aftermarket rims

Hi - I've got a set of aftermarket 18' rims for my 07 997, mounted with winter tires. Does anyone know if there are replacement TPMS sensors that can be installed onto the wheels/rims? Typically I just live with the warning light on the dash and 'flat tyre' alarm through the winter.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:22 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

would think so, they're avail for aftermarket rims, and even mine came with, I'm still dealing with the dash warnings...
Old 11-20-2011, 03:11 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get the factory sensors through Suncoast

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...=997S_wheelacc
Old 11-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts
Default TPMS

I put my OE TPMS in my winter aftermarket wheels. Even went to dealer to fix because they werent learning. Ended up last week telling dealer to shut sensors off my 997.2
I dont this can be done w 997.1
Old 11-20-2011, 03:49 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I installed my OEM sensors on my Champion wheels with no issues at all. Learning only took a little while.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:26 PM
drum19go
AutoX

Keninirvine - how did you remove the sensors? Where are they located - I'm assuming they are inside the tire on the other side of the valve stem, correct?
Old 11-20-2011, 06:37 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by drum19go
Keninirvine - how did you remove the sensors? Where are they located - I'm assuming they are inside the tire on the other side of the valve stem, correct?
Yes, they are on the inside of the tire. Here is a photo showing the sensor with the stem.

Last edited by KeninBlaine; 03-25-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:45 PM
drum19go
AutoX

Thanks everyone.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Yes, they are on the inside of the tire. Here is a photo showing the sensor with the stem.
I too am curious as to how they are "installed" I have seen mine (after dealer removed) but..how is it "installed" and function (details, don't say "it measures air pressure and temp", I mean "HOW" does it work).

Just curious. (BTW) I have three part HRE wheels (890R), love them but never again will I buy "Three part Wheels", only "mono-block"....second wheel I had to send back to HRE for air leak at seam of inner/outer wheel.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:15 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

They are held in place with at nut that tightens down on the valve stem from the outside. Don't know the details, but they have a solid state pressure measuring device inside, with a radio frequency transmitter that sends the pressure info to the receiver located in fender well.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Musclehedz101
I too am curious as to how they are "installed" I have seen mine (after dealer removed) but..how is it "installed" and function (details, don't say "it measures air pressure and temp", I mean "HOW" does it work).

Just curious. (BTW) I have three part HRE wheels (890R), love them but never again will I buy "Three part Wheels", only "mono-block"....second wheel I had to send back to HRE for air leak at seam of inner/outer wheel.
There are probably several ways of doing this but one way is:

A poloysilicon diaphragm/capacitor plate mounted to a silicon substrate base with a separate capacitor plate underneath.

The top plate does not touch the bottom plate and the space between/around the two plates is a vacuum.

As the pressure against the top plate causes it to move closer to if the pressure increases or further away if the pressure decreases the bottom capacitor plate an electrical signal is generated or modified which is converted from an analog signal into a digital value.

This digital value represents tire pressure though a temp correction may be applied. Temp is measured by another sensor (an electrical signal is modified by a change in temperature) and both of these values are packaged up into some RF packet and transmitted to a nearby (in the wheel well maybe) receiver which then sends this on to the in-dash controller which displays the info as tire pressure.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:02 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by Macster

A poloysilicon diaphragm/capacitor plate mounted to a silicon substrate base with a separate capacitor plate underneath.

The top plate does not touch the bottom plate and the space between/around the two plates is a vacuum.

As the pressure against the top plate causes it to move closer to if the pressure increases or further away if the pressure decreases the bottom capacitor plate an electrical signal is generated or modified which is converted from an analog signal into a digital value.

This digital value represents tire pressure though a temp correction may be applied. Temp is measured by another sensor (an electrical signal is modified by a change in temperature) and both of these values are packaged up into some RF packet and transmitted to a nearby (in the wheel well maybe) receiver which then sends this on to the in-dash controller which displays the info as tire pressure.

Sincerely,

Macster.
How long have you been waiting for an opportunity to say that? LOL
Old 11-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster

Sincerely,

Macster.
Now that's answer!
Old 11-24-2011, 11:18 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Drum19go....do u play drums?

Looks like you have a 2005-08 model....997.1 so you can buy TPMS for that era of car. 2009-21012 TPMS will not work so make sure you get the correct ones.

I've found tat Damon at Tire Rack has great deals on these.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:24 PM
akirasan
Intermediate

Did this a while back for my spares since tracks are 150-250 highway miles away, picked them up from bavarianx.com for $391 shipped with stems (others charge so be aware). Real BERU senors, OEM provider for Porsche...

Quick Reply: TPMS and aftermarket rims