Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding noise, 4th to 5th on a cold transmission

Old 11-17-2011, 09:29 AM
sameerg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding noise, 4th to 5th on a cold transmission

So, I have a factory SSk in my car. The previous owner/dealer ordered it that way.

1. Going into 2nd sounds and feels scary when the transmission is cold - especially in the cooler weather. This apparently is normal
2. According to my commute, i get out of my complex and hit the highway in about half a mile. I stay in the loser lane because the car isn't warm enough to merge into fast traffic - at least that's what i think. I keep the revs below 4k rpm and eventually get to a speed ( about 55mph) where i shift into 5th gear. Shifting into 5th gear sounds like a grind the first time i do it during a drive. The transmission is cold right now.
3. After about 15 minutes of the car having been driven, the transmission shifts like a dream. Even getting into 2nd gear feels rewarding.

Inputs? i am guessing this is normal.

I had the dealer check the car, and they did give me a clean bill of health.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:25 AM
sameerg
Intermediate

Bump..... I would really appreciate some inputs.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Tito_gsx
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 06 c2s wit ssk and get the exact same symptoms you get. I figured nothing was wrong and it looks like your dealer validated my theory.

When my car is cold, I shift slowly and at under 3k rpm. Specifically, going from 4th to 5th, I shift even slower and give it a bit a rev to match rpms (because shifting slow will drop rpms b/w gears). This technique works for me until the car is warm.

Unrelated but related, my car isn't easy to get into 1st gear when cold. My best bet is going 2nd then first but still feels like a lot of effort.

hope this helps!
Old 11-17-2011, 01:32 PM
sameerg
Intermediate

^ I think i am gonna stick with your theory of nothing being wrong. I will definitely try and see if the rev match works for me.
If there was a problem with the synchros, i would imagine the car to make that sound every time i shifted into 5th.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:55 AM
kimchee411
Advanced

Anything ever come of this? I have the exact same thing that I noticed after installing the OEM SSK.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:47 PM
kimchee411
Advanced

FWIW, it started happening going into 6th when cold as well. I got the tranny rebuilt with new 4/5/6 synchros, hubs, and guide sleeves. While unfortunate it had to come to that to get rid of a somewhat minor annoyance, the problem is solved.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:10 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by sameerg
So, I have a factory SSk in my car. The previous owner/dealer ordered it that way.

1. Going into 2nd sounds and feels scary when the transmission is cold - especially in the cooler weather. This apparently is normal
2. According to my commute, i get out of my complex and hit the highway in about half a mile. I stay in the loser lane because the car isn't warm enough to merge into fast traffic - at least that's what i think. I keep the revs below 4k rpm and eventually get to a speed ( about 55mph) where i shift into 5th gear. Shifting into 5th gear sounds like a grind the first time i do it during a drive. The transmission is cold right now.
3. After about 15 minutes of the car having been driven, the transmission shifts like a dream. Even getting into 2nd gear feels rewarding.

Inputs? i am guessing this is normal.

I had the dealer check the car, and they did give me a clean bill of health.
I don't think this is normal at all. My -06 C4S was a manual with a SSK and I never had any of the issues you're describing. Yes I live in southwest Florida but we do have cold mornings now and then in the winter time....close to 32F and even with that I never experienced what you're dealing with. Pure speculation on my part but the previous owner may not have been proficient at driving a manual and may have done some damage. I'm not a Porsche mechanic but what you describe sounds like some of your synchros aren't doing what they should be doing.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:10 PM
lurchphil
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I would suggest changing the transmission fluid before anything else. 3 liters from SunsetPorscheParts.com will be sufficient. An easy DIY.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:19 PM
lurchphil
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Sunset sells the Porsche recommended Mobilube PTX. It made a big difference in the cold shifting in my 2008 and 2012 Carrera S.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:21 PM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is only a pain to get into first gear sometimes, when I am stopped. I have a brand new clutch and still happens. Normal?
Old 05-26-2018, 10:05 PM
Gptoyz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

First of all I would knock out all the low hanging fruit.

Do you guys have the gear box alignment tool?
https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...ad=47433965052
If not get one, this is essential, especially if you have an SSK or those Numeric cables or cables that haven't been aligned yet.

Transaxle fluid:
Definitely flush and drain the transaxle fluid. Might I recommend a bit cocktail. Whatever you choose to use, Delvac, Mobilube PTX, Amsoil SVG or Motul Gears 300 LS, cut it with a half to 1 quart of synchromesh, I had great results with this with slicker shifting. Synchromesh, is much thinner than the other 75w90s, that's why you are cutting it with mostly the 75w90. The thinner weight definitely helps with cold/initial starts.

Transmission/Engine Mounts:
Are they shot to hell? If they are replace them, they will keep the engine/transmission from rocking too much and make shifts more positive. If the transmission mounts aren't torn, you can probably chuck some polyurethane inserts to stiffen up the mount, be warned it can add some NVH.

Btw, what does your gear box feel like when the engine is off and you row through the gears. It should be very smooth and positive, if not, the problem could require a transmission rebuild.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:14 PM
Rampage
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Intersting, I've got the exact same symptoms - slight grind when shifting into 5th but only before the car is up to operating temp. I changed driving habits to work around the issue.

Going through your list Gptoyz ...
- Got the car last year and I had the symptom with the original shifter. Installed the Porsche SSK over the winter and used the alignment tool
- Did the gear oil last year after discussing this exact issue with my indy
- Engine mounts ... in the process of getting parts/bolts of the RS mounts. Transmission mount was identified on the PPI but local indy checked and said it was fine
- Gear box feel ... great, very smooth, no signs of anything wrong

Kimchee ... what were the observations from the transmission rebuilder, were the synchros worn?
Old 05-27-2018, 10:41 PM
grevegti
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I had similar issues (my car also is factory short shift) and changed the fluid to Mobilube PTX from suncoast and fixed it right up. Wouldn't run anything else, helps a ton in cooler weather too. Thats a good cheap/easy start
Old 05-29-2018, 04:54 AM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 735 Likes on 421 Posts

My car shifts great with the car off at any temp.
When my car is cold, it shifts like crap. It is really hard to get in first, so I just started to start off in second while the car is cold a couple weeks ago.
Once, everything is up to temp, the car shifts pretty well but It isn't something I am going to tell people about as a high point of Porsche ownership.
My car has had a PPI and a major service within the last 3 months with a transmission service. It still shifts like crap when cold.
the car had 16k on the odo when I got it. The DME was chill but who knows what kind of ham fisted nonsense went on before I owned the car.
...oh, and no grinds at all.

EDIT: BTW, I have XCZ Sports Shifter, whatever though.

Last edited by jamesinger; 05-29-2018 at 03:29 PM. Reason: adding the XCZ info.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:11 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,409 Likes on 854 Posts

Read up here before you start tearing up your transmission.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-gear-oil.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grinding noise, 4th to 5th on a cold transmission