Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do some PDK cars have "Paddle" shifters and some have the "Thumb" shifters?

Old 10-15-2011, 12:12 AM
OhioLefty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do some PDK cars have "Paddle" shifters and some have the "Thumb" shifters?

Title pretty much says it all.

Why do some PDK equipped cars have "Paddle" shifters and some have the "Thumb" shifters on the steering wheel?

Thanks in advance...
Old 10-15-2011, 07:02 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

The steering wheel with the buttons is the standard offering. The steering wheel with the paddle shifters is optional.

You should get on the Porsche website "configurator" and look at and play with the various list of options available. Don't look at the "new" Carrera (991), but instead look at the 997. The options listed on the configurator is not the complete list of available options, it does contain the majority of them.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:38 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

the paddles only work leftside down - and right side up+
the buttons work either side up or down
and the paddles are more popular for the looks
Old 10-15-2011, 10:16 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

GTS and Turbo S come standard with paddle shifters....

At the track the problem with the push/pull buttons is the inside of your hand near your thumb can cause an upshift when you do not want it. With the paddles there are no accidental bumping of the push/pull buttons. Accidental upshifts in track conditions and even autocross was brought up in an Excellence magazine interview with Walter Rohl. Also when I did the Porsche driving school Masters+ class at Barber people where having issues with the push/pull bottons and the instructors said they have requested the paddles shift wheel to be retro-fitted on the schools cars
Old 10-15-2011, 10:46 AM
OhioLefty
Instructor

Originally Posted by gota911
The steering wheel with the buttons is the standard offering. The steering wheel with the paddle shifters is optional.

You should get on the Porsche website "configurator" and look at and play with the various list of options available. Don't look at the "new" Carrera (991), but instead look at the 997. The options listed on the configurator is not the complete list of available options, it does contain the majority of them.
Originally Posted by okbarnett
the paddles only work leftside down - and right side up+
the buttons work either side up or down
and the paddles are more popular for the looks
Originally Posted by mdrums
GTS and Turbo S come standard with paddle shifters....

At the track the problem with the push/pull buttons is the inside of your hand near your thumb can cause an upshift when you do not want it. With the paddles there are no accidental bumping of the push/pull buttons. Accidental upshifts in track conditions and even autocross was brought up in an Excellence magazine interview with Walter Rohl. Also when I did the Porsche driving school Masters+ class at Barber people where having issues with the push/pull bottons and the instructors said they have requested the paddles shift wheel to be retro-fitted on the schools cars

Thanks guys!
Old 10-15-2011, 11:14 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aren't the buttons counter intuitive too? That is what I heard.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:58 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by CodeRed
Aren't the buttons counter intuitive too? That is what I heard.
My 09 came witht he buttons...I lived with them for a year...got the paddle shift wheels and that was so much better and totally made more sence if you are going to use PDK that way...especially at the track.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:01 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

the buttons or paddles do do anything untill you press them
if you are in automatic they will continue to shift eventually if you have intervened with the buttons then quit
Old 10-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Push button shifting only really makes sense in F1 and other road racing series where they use a 1:1 steering ratio.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:27 PM
2Utes
Track Day

One more comment. Heated steering wheel was not available with paddle shifters when we ordered our GTS, so we got the button wheel. Heated wheel required for domestic tranquility. Small price to have a GTS in the garage.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:41 PM
dbrians
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 997.2 has the buttons - and I prefer them for daily driving. Others have a diff opinion, but I think they're intuitive - push to keep going faster, pull when you're slowing (cornering / braking). Here's the conundrum - I had the same ugly experience as others on a DE weekend - you're taught to not remove your hands from 3/9 O'clock, then round the corner, and hit the gas. Oops, the web of my L hand actuated the paddles, and my PDK love machine shifted into..eventually 5th - and I felt the power loss and exited into the pits. Car lost power?...WTF. No. That's when I realized I had to decide...buttons for DD or paddles for the track. I think I'll keep my buttons (and heater wheel - I'm in Minn.)
Old 10-16-2011, 06:25 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 388 Posts

Yes agree with the above posts. Part of the reason why I had my old 997S retrofitted with Champion PDK Shifter paddles when I got it in 2010. Now that I traded it for my C4S and the OEM wheels are avail from Porsche it was the 1st think I negotiated for my dealer to throw in as part of the sale..retrofit the OEM PDK Paddle shifter wheel in black please. Much better way to go at the DE/Track or even on the street. With the buttons it just seemed so un-Porsche like...okay for the wife/girlfriend/daughter but not for me!
Old 10-17-2011, 02:58 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by okbarnett
...and the paddles are more popular for the looks
That's the real reason.

Basically this preference reflects an affectation.

For street applications the buttons are more intuitive and ergonomic. The paddles do have the advantage for people who are concieted much like the nonsensical center lock wheels for street use.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:10 AM
carbonblackcab
Intermediate

I love the buttons. I like the ability to up shift and down shift using one hand.

I used to have paddles on my e46m3 and don't miss them.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:40 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Yes agree with the above posts. Part of the reason why I had my old 997S retrofitted with Champion PDK Shifter paddles when I got it in 2010. Now that I traded it for my C4S and the OEM wheels are avail from Porsche it was the 1st think I negotiated for my dealer to throw in as part of the sale..retrofit the OEM PDK Paddle shifter wheel in black please. Much better way to go at the DE/Track or even on the street. With the buttons it just seemed so un-Porsche like...okay for the wife/girlfriend/daughter but not for me!
Rob,

So who gets to drive your C4S more often..... wife or girlfriend?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do some PDK cars have "Paddle" shifters and some have the "Thumb" shifters?