Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 fuel pump - replacement action ongoing.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:08 PM
gjnockie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is a Nov 08 build.

It's on the list and it's going in for a replacement this Wednesday.

I wonder how much this would have cost if it was not under warranty?
Old 07-24-2011, 01:09 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
Sep 08 build for my C2S cab. I emailed service department my VIN and they sent email they were ordering parts and would schedule HPFP replacement when they arrived.
Going in Thursday for the replacement.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:16 AM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 116 Posts

Just check mine this Morning. Going int Friday for replacement. I wonder when Porsche would have sent out a recall notice?
Old 07-25-2011, 02:02 PM
RennlistTomE
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

09 Targa (obviously a 997.2). Don't have the build date. Just checked with the dealer. They said that a service action was indicated. New fuel pump.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:26 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by RennlistTomE
09 Targa (obviously a 997.2). Don't have the build date. Just checked with the dealer. They said that a service action was indicated. New fuel pump.
I don't get it. Mine is an August 2008 build so talked to my service manager today. No new pump for me he said. His take on these replacements is that they're not authorized or called for by PCNA. Some kind of advisory on premature fuel pump replacements came out this morning according to him. He also said the dealers that are doing this will eventually eat the cost of the pump if they replaced a fully functional one.

If somebody has anything in print that contradicts my SM I'd love to see it.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
... If somebody has anything in print that contradicts my SM I'd love to see it.
Action # WB08
Old 07-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't get it. Mine is an August 2008 build so talked to my service manager today. No new pump for me he said. His take on these replacements is that they're not authorized or called for by PCNA. Some kind of advisory on premature fuel pump replacements came out this morning according to him. He also said the dealers that are doing this will eventually eat the cost of the pump if they replaced a fully functional one.

If somebody has anything in print that contradicts my SM I'd love to see it.
Interesting. I'm going in on Wednesday, will note the repair invoice to see if a specific recall campaign is noted, and post the info. The service manager at my dealership is very accomodating. Maybe it's the fact that I've purchased 3 Porsches and 2 Audis from the dealership, or maybe he's just a good guy. So it's possible that some dealers are replacing these things as a good will issue; no that can't be right.

Edit: Just saw Tony's post. Anyway, will post any additional info I can.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:06 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ADias
Action # WB08
Thanks!
Old 07-25-2011, 10:25 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Interesting. I'm going in on Wednesday, will note the repair invoice to see if a specific recall campaign is noted, and post the info. The service manager at my dealership is very accomodating. Maybe it's the fact that I've purchased 3 Porsches and 2 Audis from the dealership, or maybe he's just a good guy. So it's possible that some dealers are replacing these things as a good will issue; no that can't be right.

Whatever you can share from your shop visit will be much appreciated. My service manager is very accommodating too but he insists he has no directive that authorizes preemptive warranty fuel pump replacement on 997.2's. If he does it anyway, he says the pump is sent to Germany, examined and if found in working order his shop will pay for the new pump they installed.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:08 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Mike.....did you get your pump replaced today? If you did, can you add anything to what's already been said? TIA
Old 07-27-2011, 07:37 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

its dependent on the part # of the pump, not necessarily the cars date/vin
Old 07-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Mike.....did you get your pump replaced today? If you did, can you add anything to what's already been said? TIA
Sandwedge, I literally just got back home from the dealer. In agreement with Tony's earlier post on the campaign number, the invoice states:

WB08 - Replacing High-Pressure Fuel Pump (Workshop Campaign) WARRANTY
COMPLETED CAMPAIGN

1 000-043-301-44 HIGH-PRESSURE PU WARRANTY
1 000-043-301-05 ANTIFREEZE 3.7 WARRANTY

My service advisor said that this campaign had recently been initiated and they were taking care of it but he gave no other information like, for example, whether customers had to ask about it or not. However, some other posters in this thread indicated that they had been cold-contacted by their dealers. Sounds to me like at best, your dealer is misinterpreting Porsche's direction on the campaign, and at worst, giving you the run around. Good luck.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:32 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by okbarnett
its dependent on the part # of the pump, not necessarily the cars date/vin
Problem I'm having is that my SM doesn't care about neither part #, nor VIN #. He says there's no directive from PCNA to replace functional pumps.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:33 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Sandwedge, I literally just got back home from the dealer. In agreement with Tony's earlier post on the campaign number, the invoice states:

WB08 - Replacing High-Pressure Fuel Pump (Workshop Campaign) WARRANTY
COMPLETED CAMPAIGN

1 000-043-301-44 HIGH-PRESSURE PU WARRANTY
1 000-043-301-05 ANTIFREEZE 3.7 WARRANTY

My service advisor said that this campaign had recently been initiated and they were taking care of it but he gave no other information like, for example, whether customers had to ask about it or not. However, some other posters in this thread indicated that they had been cold-contacted by their dealers. Sounds to me like at best, your dealer is misinterpreting Porsche's direction on the campaign, and at worst, giving you the run around. Good luck.
Many thanks Mike. I'll take that to the dealership tomorrow. How long did the job take?
Old 07-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Many thanks Mike. I'll take that to the dealership tomorrow. How long did the job take?
There are no labor hours on the invoice, but I dropped the car off at 9am this morning. My advisor said they wanted the car to cool down for a while before the mechanic got into it. Drove home in the loaner and got a call at 1pm that the car was done. So I don't know exactly how long they worked on it, but they only had the car in the shop for 4 hours total.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997.2 fuel pump - replacement action ongoing.