Sponsored by:

PDK Failure ?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:17 AM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PDK Failure ?????

I finally reached the end of break in period in my Turbo S Cab. Car has not burned any oil not one second of any problem. Then out for a drive and got Emergency Transmission Run Red Light.Car never shifted bad just a error code. Took car to dealer to get transmission reflashed. That did not work now the dealer says it's a flow valve control or a complete PDK failure and will require a new tranny. But Germany has to give the direction on what they want the dealer to do. Ok but that was last week called today and dealer said still no word. Three work days to make a decision on a $190 k car really. I would assumed they would at least have a part on the way but no maybe a decision by tomwr. Then wait on part to come in from Germany. Is this normal car is not my DD but kind of sucks not to have a car to drive.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:06 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Stuff happens. Likely they have transmissions in the U.S. so hopefully all you need is a decision. Keep pushing.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:03 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Wow. That is a pretty amazing story on what is supposed to be a bullet proof tranny. They should at least give you a new 911 to drive while it is in the shop!
Jim
Old 07-13-2011, 02:50 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

They replaced the tranny in my 996 Targa a couple months after I purchased it new. It was simply part of a small batch that had a manufacturing defect. I'm guessing the PDK is designed to be bullet proof and likely pretty much is, but like I said, "stuff happens".
Old 07-13-2011, 07:42 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

GJ,

Sorry yo hear that you can't get a quicker decision. Maybe they think you want the new tranny painted Ice Blue?
Old 07-13-2011, 09:00 AM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Took my dealer a full week just to do the center-lock recall. They kept finding parts that needed to be ordered, and pushed it out another day.

Stay polite, but persistent.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:47 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Perhaps Porsche AG is trying to figure out what happened.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:11 PM
bensf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's odd. My PDK had a leak that could not be fixed by the dealer on two attempts. They contacted Porsche and along with a DME report (to make sure it was not abused) a new PDK was shipped from Germany ASAP.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Bobby_B
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear this. For my MY11,C2S it took over a week for Porsche to make the decision to replace the PDK and then another week to ship and install. In my case the PDK went out of gear on the freeway and about 5 seconds later a warning popped up about PDK over heated. All temps were normal and it was a cool morning.
I also had mixed feelings about replacing such a major part on a new 911 but I have to say the dealer did a great job. I could see only a few tool marks around some bolts that were maybe new but everything else was buttoned up nicely. So far 1k miles and the new PDK is fine.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Galvano
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

This may be a dumb question but how does one abuse a PDK? Would that be ordinary carelessness or intentionally trying to damage the car?
Old 07-13-2011, 07:26 PM
Gj325
Pro

Originally Posted by jcnesq
Stuff happens. Likely they have transmissions in the U.S. so hopefully all you need is a decision. Keep pushing.
They came back today with a decision. They are going to replace the Transmission. They claim the PDK is not the same for the Turbo and it has to come from Germany so it should be here Friday unless held up in customs and they will install next week. It would have been nice to have it back this weekend but that wont happen. Just sucks to spend this much on a car and it break this is actually the first time in over ten years that I have had any one of my cars break and have to have repairs done. So guess I should count my blessings.

Just hope this doesn't hurt my resell value for my heirs when they sell this car after I am gone. LOL
Old 07-13-2011, 08:07 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I've been so lucky with my PDK....over 30 DE's with it and not a glitch. I'm hoping the same for my GTS too.
Keep us posted about your PDK swap out. Turbo S must be 1 fun and awesome car!
Old 07-13-2011, 11:53 PM
Gj325
Pro

Originally Posted by mdrums
I've been so lucky with my PDK....over 30 DE's with it and not a glitch. I'm hoping the same for my GTS too.
Keep us posted about your PDK swap out. Turbo S must be 1 fun and awesome car!
It is a awesome car was going by the books had not tried a Launch yet. Just crossed 2100 miles then wham. Wonder if the new Pdk will have a break in period or is just the engine required to be broke in.

Car is or was wicked fast almost to fast for street. The sound however is very bad. My only gripe other than this incident. Glad I did not make any Mods yet.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:24 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

hopefully everything gets sorted soon, i would assume the turbo and especially S had some different stuff in the trans department so it makes sense to have to get a special one
Old 07-14-2011, 10:14 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Gj325
It is a awesome car was going by the books had not tried a Launch yet. Just crossed 2100 miles then wham. Wonder if the new Pdk will have a break in period or is just the engine required to be broke in.

Car is or was wicked fast almost to fast for street. The sound however is very bad. My only gripe other than this incident. Glad I did not make any Mods yet.
After 800 miles my car was at the track and did not see much below 5000rpm for the next 250miles. Engine runs strong and zero PDK issues. I truely think that the break in "hints" as Porsche calls them are mostly for the driver to get use to the car some. The break in for the same car in other parts of the world is a lot less.

Quick Reply: PDK Failure ?????